• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bio Lab

Finally the map "Bio Lab" is finished:
[Image: scaled.php?server=810&filename=biolabour...res=medium]
[Image: scaled.php?server=268&filename=biolabour...res=medium]
[Image: scaled.php?server=33&filename=biolabour5.jpg&res=medium]
[Image: scaled.php?server=638&filename=biolabour...res=medium]
(Some screenshots could be outdated.)

A special "Thank you" goes to unfa who created the soundtrack "Stone Hard" which you can listen to in this map. Wink

The map supports the following gamemodes:
Arena
Clan-Arena
Deathmatch
Last-Man-Standing
Team-Deathmatch
Keepaway
Freezetag

The compile-settings:
"Q3Map2: (final) Maddin´s final compile (dark maps)"
-meta -v -minsamplesize 2
-vis -saveprt
-light -deluxe -dirty -dirtmode 1 -dirtscale 2 -fast -lightmapsize 1024 -patchshadows -samples 4
-minimap

And here you can download the package: bio_labour_v1.pk3

Greetings,
Maddin

Nice looking, I I love the lighting.

Sorry I was wrong about pk3 file. Someone has told me that.

not a bad map. you could maybe break up some of the repeating textures a bit. also, unless I am mistaken, are there 2 sets of warp zones? if so, I suggest you remove one. warp zones are a big hog on performance, and this map is already a little lower than average. (I suspect, due to the warpzones.)

I also have some sugestions for the layout, but i will post those later, with pictures.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

I do like it, but a few things:

It looks like you and kuniu are depresive. Your newest maps are just grey, grey, grey, and grey, and even more grey.
Make it a little more happy, my dear Maddin. More colors, brighter map.

And I miss support for infection.

But I won't talk about mapping issues, my dear clanmate theShadow is way better with that.

Leeloo Wrote:You have to rename inside the pk3 file the map/*.bsp, map/*.tga, map/*.mapinfo, map/*.waypoint. Replace * by bio_labour_v1 as it.sme told in the post about your nice heavymetal map.
Really? As far as I know pk3 packages with higher numbers/letters are "preferred" by the engine. So bio_labour_v2 would be used instead of bio_labour_v1.

theShadow Wrote:also, unless I am mistaken, are there 2 sets of warp zones? if so, I suggest you remove one. warp zones are a big hog on performance, and this map is already a little lower than average. (I suspect, due to the warpzones.)
Yes, there are two warpzones. But I wonder why it has a huge impact on your performance, because I already VIS-optimized the map totally, I don´t have any problems there. Well and removing one warpzone wouldn´t be an option, I already tried that. It´s caused by the layout that this change wouldn´t be very easy.

Mepper Wrote:It looks like you and kuniu are depresive. Your newest maps are just grey, grey, grey, and grey, and even more grey.
Make it a little more happy, my dear Maddin. More colors, brighter map.
I may be depressive or maybe not... doesn´t matter. My map isn´t just grey, it uses a cold blue-white as main colour-theme. And I didn´t want to create another bright map as we have them "en masse". Xonotic uses the "DarkPlaces"-engine so why not building dark maps?

Mepper Wrote:And I miss support for infection.
Infection? What´s that?

Infection is gamemode. It is dm, but then, if you get killed, your colors will change to the colors of the guy who killed you.
If everyone has the same color the round ended.

It is very funny, but nearly nobody plays it.

And if I may quote Samual:
"Your children will grow up with horrible diseases usually only seen in Africa if you do not include that mode, I wrote it."

(Or was that about keepaway? Whatever.)

This is an awesome map :-)

The only negative thing I can think of is that the reflections that come off the glass on the floor can look a bit weird.

those aren't reflections, those are cubemaps. (which is a good thing, as putting reflections on those would shoot performance all to hell.) they could maybe be improved with just a little tweaking.

there IS a section of reflective water, but that really isn't all that noticeable. perhaps you could remove that?

Imgur Gallery

(10-03-2011, 10:16 AM)theShadow Wrote: ...
unless I am mistaken, are there 2 sets of warp zones? if so, I suggest you remove one. warp zones are a big hog on performance

As long as not more then one is visible (as in the game consider it, not you) at the time you can have 500 of em as far as render speed is concerned.

oh, ok. thats not a problem then, however, I still suggest you remove the water. it isn't really noticeable anyway.

Imgur Gallery

reflective water AND warps can indeed be a bad idea, as warpzones turn on reflection for the duration of the map even if the user has it off

The reflections on the glass are indeed fake. I the beginning I tried to make it all with real reflections, which looked awesome but my fps-rate went down to less than 10fps. Now with the cubemap (I know it as environment map, but never mind) the performance is good and allows maximum fps-rates (60 for me).

Ok, I´m happy that you pointed the thing with the water out. I don´t really like it too, so it will be removed.

What do you think of the item placement? Are there enough items at all or are there too many? Is the placement balanced?

The best map for FFA in the History of Xonotic.

(06-02-2012, 02:45 AM)Justin Wrote: The best map for FFA in the History of Xonotic.

Woah... Bold statement I must say. Not that I'd disagree with it (although, technically, I have about 5 or 6 favourites). Tongue

You have to admit, it plays very well on DCC. I'd consider it as a "merge candidate" too, though something is still missing, but I don't know what. Also, that'd need aproval from Maddin too.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Wink 
Very nice work!

Is there a CTF version of this map?

I have to agree with ze captain here, while it play quite nice, it does lack a cretin (undefined) something.

i think a problem with that map is that most ways look quite similar and you easily lose your orientation.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(06-05-2012, 05:19 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: i think a problem with that map is that most ways look quite similar and you easily lose your orientation.

Yes, but perhaps this suits the map? I don't know, but I like the fact that it looks consistent. In some maps this is bad, but Biolab is clinical and I think that adding too much variety would detract from the overall feel.

I suppose a few little changes would be welcome though.

(06-05-2012, 05:40 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: Yes, but perhaps this suits the map? I don't know, but I like the fact that it looks consistent. In some maps this is bad, but Biolab is clinical and I think that adding too much variety would detract from the overall feel.

just some minor stuff, to make it less repetitive, but to take that style.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Maybe a few distinct models of stuff that looks like it might belong in lab, put in specific places, serving as navigational points?

(06-05-2012, 05:49 PM)rafallus Wrote: Maybe a few distinct models of stuff that looks like it might belong in lab, put in specific places, serving as navigational points?

^^ This.

I am planning on making some secret lab props for my ctf map that I am making for the contest (pyipelab ... soon to be renamed) ... maybe we could share ^^

Wow, ok, I didn´t expect to get another comment these days. Thought this map was ok for its purpose, not perfect and still not popular enough for another update.

Seems like I was wrong. Blush

Well, I have to have a look at it again and see what can be done (which is probably a lot).

(06-06-2012, 12:44 PM)Maddin Wrote: Wow, ok, I didn´t expect to get another comment these days. Thought this map was ok for its purpose, not perfect and still not popular enough for another update.

Seems like I was wrong. Blush

Well, I have to have a look at it again and see what can be done (which is probably a lot).

You didn't expect to get replies then? Well I guess this one's going to blow your mind Big Grin

I apologize in advance for necropost. This thread's ancient in internet years.

Anyway, while bored and looking for maps I happened to stroll across Bio Labour here. I loaded it up and couldn't help but notice some... ahem, similarities to one of the maps from Halo Reach. I thought it was neat, really, that while not playing Halo I still managed to find a way to play halo Tongue .

Not that the rest of the map is like the map in question (Sword Base), just that one area. Gave me a good chuckle. Rest of the map seemed nice enough.