Create an account

Poll: Which name?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Heavy Metal
69.23%
18 69.23%
Blood Metal
3.85%
1 3.85%
Medarbah
11.54%
3 11.54%
Hell Metal
0%
0 0%
a completely other name?
15.38%
4 15.38%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Heavy Metal

After five weeks of work I can present you my first map for Xonotic: Heavy Metal
[Image: scaled.php?server=585&filename=xonotic00...res=medium]
[Image: scaled.php?server=856&filename=xonotic00...res=medium]
[Image: scaled.php?server=819&filename=xonotic00...res=medium]
[Image: scaled.php?server=855&filename=xonotic00...res=medium]
(Some pictures may not be the newest one!)

The name of the map is now for sure: Heavy Metal. Thanks to all who voted for the best name!

The music is made by unfa, a big thanks for his effort! (The track is now included.)

Some statistics:
total amount of brushes: 4862
total amount of entities: 1208
time to build this map: ca. 5 weeks

The map supports the following gamemodes:
Arena
Clan-Arena
Deathmatch
Domination
Last-Man-Standing
Team-Deathmatch
Keepaway
Freezetag

The compile-settings:
"Q3Map2: (final) Alphawolf´s final compile"
-meta -v -minsamplesize 2
-vis -saveprt
-light -deluxe -dirty -dirtmode 1 -dirtscale 2 -fast -lightmapsize 1024 -patchshadows -samples 4
-minimap

Things I have changed since the first release:
- change the design of the teleporters
- delete the prt file in the pk3 package
- add waypoints for bots
- add more details to the lights in the upper area
- include the Nex
- remove the HLAC and Sniper Rifle
- add details for navigation in the hallways so that players don´t get lost there
- create a lightsource for the large items
- add lightning effects to the grate with the strength item
- change the jumppads to launchpads in the upper area
- make the jump-trick near the two crates possible
- add some height-variation to the towers and walls
- add spotlights to the big arches
- add some more texture variations to the big generator
- add freezetag and keepaway to the supported game modes
- create a pipe-system which is mainly holded by the big arches
- add two control rooms
- add some details here and there

And here you can download the package: heavy_metal_final.pk3

Greetings,
Maddin

Great map! But it looks like the teleporters needs moar textures
Why always the fighting?
*clack*

erm... you dont need to include the .prt file in the pk3
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Heavy Metal! (but I prefer deathcore Big Grin)
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

@Snugglepaws: What do you mean exactly? Do they need more structure so that they look more like a teleporter?

@Cortez666: Ok. Nothing else to comment on?

This looks impressive from the screenshot - but from the screenshot I also see that there could be a lot of RAMPS missing that would for sure enhance the gameplay a lot. I'll give it a try tonight later on.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Ramps would be a pain for the layout of the map. You can reach every area without laser-jumping. There are either jumppads or ladders.

Reminds me of Strength. Looks good. Will try when I get back home.

(07-15-2011, 02:07 PM)DiaboliK Wrote: Reminds me of Strength.
Yeah, Strength inspired me a bit. Btw: Strahlemann is an awesome mapper!

Nice! I'll try it and see if I cam come up with some names and ideas.

UPDATE:
ok, I gave it a quick run though, and I have a few tips for you, if you chose to listen.

1) Don't use ladders. This is not a problem with anything you did, just the simple fact that this game has terrible ladder integration. The game is really just too fast paced for them in any case. As halogen said, ramps would be a much better alternative, and I'm sure you can find a place for them somewhere.

2) The network of corridors underneath the map doesn't really add anything to the gameplay, because you have it so severely divided from the main area of play. I would either try and tie it into the map a little better, or just remove it, and expand the map some other way.

3) The map has a definite sense of "a big box with stuff in it". Try and counteract this by expanding the area of play horizontally out of the confines of the walls, and maybe adding a second smaller outdoor area connected to the first. (perhaps to replace the corridors underneath.)

Anyway, you can start off with those and see where you want to go.

Best Regards
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

Here's some stuff to make the bots work better: http://ompldr.org/vOWhwNA/heavy_metal-wa.../cache.zip

Drop the .waypoints and .cache alongside the .bsp

About the map: Does seem like strength a lot. If you want more general light (map seems a bit dark in some of the vertical shafts atm), you could use a different skybox. You can remove clipping above the invert-wedge-shaped lights on the main level, I would like to stand on those Smile Condsider useing launch pad instead of jumpad for horizontal moving ones. Also nobody uses ladders, they are slow and predictable and make you a sitting duck. Ramps encourage more skill.

You'll probably want to reconsider your weapon choices. The Rifle is controversial and liable to be changed or deleted; I think most CA/TDM players prefer Nex instead because you can combo with it. The HLAC is even more likely to be removed. Also the placement of the Rifle seems kind of informal, it should be but somewhere important and be fought over.

Love the colored lights under the items.

Map name: I like 'Ferrous' (look it up).

Remember to add minimap on final.

Overall it's ok. Could use more emphasis on important items, and the downstairs is entirely secluded from upstairs (as opposed to strength, for example).

@Cortez666: You don't HAVE to include the .map file either(we already been through this before), but it's nice for other people especially if you want them to help you Tongue

nowego4 Wrote:Here's some stuff to make the bots work better: http://ompldr.org/vOWhwNA/heavy_metal-wa.../cache.zip
Drop the .waypoints and .cache alongside the .bsp
Thanks that you made the bot support things. I planned to do that in the final version, but you are faster.
nowego4 Wrote:If you want more general light (map seems a bit dark in some of the vertical shafts atm), you could use a different skybox.
I don´t want to change the darkness of the level, we have so many bright maps.
nowego4 Wrote:You can remove clipping above the invert-wedge-shaped lights on the main level, I would like to stand on those Smile
I´m not sure whether I should remove the clipping, because it could tend people to camp there and campers are bad!
nowego4 Wrote:Also nobody uses ladders, they are slow and predictable and make you a sitting duck. Ramps encourage more skill.
How should I implement ramps?? It isn´t possible and really wouldn´t fit in the map.
nowego4 Wrote:You'll probably want to reconsider your weapon choices. The Rifle is controversial and liable to be changed or deleted; I think most CA/TDM players prefer Nex instead because you can combo with it. The HLAC is even more likely to be removed. Also the placement of the Rifle seems kind of informal, it should be but somewhere important and be fought over.
Ok, I will change that. Although I always fear players with Nex-Laser combo.
nowego4 Wrote:Love the colored lights under the items.
Map name: I like 'Ferrous' (look it up).
Thanks!
nowego4 Wrote:Remember to add minimap on final.
I did a final compile (my own, custom one) with minimap and it shows up on my computer. Do I have to include it in the pk3?
nowego4 Wrote:@Cortez666: You don't HAVE to include the .map file either(we already been through this before), but it's nice for other people especially if you want them to help you Tongue
Maybe I include the map file in the final version...

(07-15-2011, 03:00 PM)nowego4 Wrote: You don't HAVE to include the .map file either(we already been through this before), but it's nice for other people especially if you want them to help you Tongue

a map file is useful, but a prt file is just a relict from compiling.

about the map. Many elements of the maps are which seem to be from Strenght and only a few own elements.

The walls in the upper area repetitive and monotonous detailed. There are no real changes. Same goes for the lower area. You easily get lost there, because there are no way points for orientation.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Blush Maybe I tend to use too much elements of strength, but I didn´t copied any brush from it!

nowego4 Wrote:The walls in the upper area repetitive and monotonous detailed. There are no real changes. Same goes for the lower area. You easily get lost there, because there are no way points for orientation.
Ok, I see what I can do to make it better.

(07-15-2011, 04:21 PM)Maddin Wrote: Blush Maybe I tend to use too much elements of strength, but I didn´t copied any brush from it!
try to make your own stuff, a 1on1 replication of some parts are not needed. Im sure you can do it better. You just have to be patient and spend some time on a map.

Here are my suggestions as pictures. (Some might remember that 'awful' style of suggesting something). Anyway.

[Image: gse9gyxqzktns6lcg9q7_thumb.jpg][Image: ibx15ibj5o3j4nukd6_thumb.jpg][Image: 2btprlszw2fh6fx23f4c_thumb.jpg]
[Image: 7bk052t19yasr2ae7qcf_thumb.jpg]
[Image: ebnzlu3tpqfawrvrawo0_thumb.jpg]

I hope it will help you, but keep in mind these are just suggestions. You dont have to realize them, if you dont like them.

Cortez666 Wrote:Im sure you can do it better.
Thanks! Smile I will do it better! Remember: This is my first Xonotic map! ... and the first Multiplayer map! Anyway I´m happy to read so much comments because the goal is that players help the mapper to improve this beta-version so that it can become a final map!

Last night my map was tested on a server with some players and they also suggested some things, which are similar but also different form the current comments here.

1. picture: Some said on the server that they like the hallways and some don´t. Now I´m not sure whether I should add some things there or not. If I change something I won´t have any clue what to add there. It´s very difficult because these walls don´t allow things like implemented pipes or such details.

2. picture: The walls: Ok, maybe I have an idea what I can do with them, then I´ll change it. The jumppad: The problem is that there´s no launchpad-model that fits in this map, but I already know how to solve this. Wink The grates: Good idea with the lightning! I will add that!

3. picture: You know what my goals are, nice! Well, the original idea was that these bigger items emit the light, but it seems that a lot of persons don´t see that, somebody said that on the server last night, too. But this shouldn´t be a big problem, I´ll solve it.

4. picture: This is just another situation where people have different opinions. Some say that it looks awesome and some that it is aweful. Well I built this teleporter in the very beginning and it wasn´t really the end-version so I guess I have to change that too.

5. picture: As I said before: Bigger items should emit light. But you couldn´t know that, so I add some lights in the floor to make it realistic. And this trimlight does also emit light! Like it does in every corner of the hallways.

I had a run through it and it really looks like a nice map. Action is more or less bound to take place in or around the central room. As I thought I am missing ramps for ramp jumping, they are a method for a quick way out of situations and make the movement around the map feel more natural and less disrupted. There's already a little sort of trick jump where you placed those two different sized boxes in a corner and you can use them for jumping onto a medium level edge with some items on it - but you cannot proceed from there with another ramp jump.

I like the general layout and would have to actively play it to judge the item placement. If you can place some ramps to make movement more flow-like, then this is going to be a good map imho.

I lift my hat for your skills.
My Xonstats Profile

Thanks for all your compliments! So do you mean with ramps little 45° trims which allow you to make a trick jump? Well this is possible to implement and there is already a trick jump: In front of the big fan you jump on the grate and jump again so that you reach the upper area with the large armour item.

I worked on the map today and made some updates but didn´t uploaded the version yet. Maybe tomorrow you can test the new version.

P.S.: Now there´s a Nex available! Tongue

I found some time to take a quick look at the map.
The first thing i mentioned when starting the map was that the upper part has a kinda boxy feel to it ( listen to what theShadow said ). Still it feels like very solid work and it's fun to jump around, and it's a great map for a first xonotic release!
The hallways in the lower part are indeed a little bit confusing when you first enter that area. more visual variations and hints on where you are would be nice (like at least some numbers/arrows/text on the walls).

About the ladders: I kinda like the way they work in xonotic (they don't slow you down as much as in quake2 for example), but additional ramp jumps would definitely add to the gameplay. Also the jumppads don't give the player an actual hint in what direction they will push him.

[Image: 64sfihqdf2ydytnzwj0z_thumb.jpg]
The idea that the entities like health and armor emit light is a good one, but as they actually don't do it, this turns out to be a bit difficult. It just feels strange when you pick an item up, but the light stays. so a workaround could be to just highlight the spot where the goodie spawns like in the picture. Same approach could be used for the heavy armor and the health in the lower part of the map.

[Image: v8n40xg69pmtfmoqlwl9_thumb.jpg]
Some design-suggestions: The arches look a bit out of place there. Maybe they could act as a support for some banners hanging down or having a strong spotlight in the middle pointing down to the strength or something.... Wink
The lighting in general is not bad but could use some more highlights here and there. Some strong spotlights in some places could do the trick. I'd also like to see how it looks with a bit more saturated lighting like in this pic:
[Image: ih888tyiamipb87u5t84_thumb.jpg]

So now for some REALLY nitpicking stuff:
[Image: yaqfyvbsoa02o45r6j1b_thumb.jpg] [Image: bn5r2zhke1izvboqco1_thumb.jpg]

Overall a very solid first beta you got there!
Keep up the good work.
And i like "Ferrous" Big Grin

Thanks Strahlemann!

I already solved the light problem with the items and the jumpads in the upper area are also changed.

3. picture: I´ll make that jump trick possible! Wink

4./5. picture: Ok, some texture variation! No problem... and this frame really has to be changed, I know. Big Grin

(07-17-2011, 01:00 PM)Maddin Wrote: 3. picture: I´ll make that jump trick possible! Wink

Thanks, that was what I meant, too - though I was too lazy to explain it as nicely as Strahlemann.

Ramps n trickjumps ftw!
My Xonstats Profile

mmmh still some work to do, right? Tongue

some changes, which do not need much time...
add freezetag and keepaway to the supported game modes (if you like)

It´sMe Wrote:mmmh still some work to do, right? Tongue
Yes, I didn´t uploaded the newer version yet. Sorry, you have to be a bit more patient. I also have something that´s called a "real life". Do you know that? Tongue

It´sMe Wrote:add freezetag and keepaway to the supported game modes (if you like)
More work to do! Maybe I should make a list which things I have to add/change... Rolleyes

UPDATE: I added a To-Do-List in the first post so that everyone knows what´s going on.

(07-18-2011, 04:45 AM)Maddin Wrote:
It´sMe Wrote:mmmh still some work to do, right? Tongue
Yes, I didn´t uploaded the newer version yet. Sorry, you have to be a bit more patient. I also have something that´s called a "real life". Do you know that? Tongue

It´sMe Wrote:add freezetag and keepaway to the supported game modes (if you like)
More work to do! Maybe I should make a list which things I have to add/change... Rolleyes

UPDATE: I added a To-Do-List in the first post so that everyone knows what´s going on.

Don't let yourself be pressed by people here. Impatient posts only result from the high quality of your first beta, high quality results in high expectations. Take impatience as a compliment :o)

And keep up the good work!
My Xonstats Profile

Thanks for the info! The things I listed in my first post won´t be changed when I think that they decrease the quality of the map, of course.

Halogene Wrote:And keep up the good work!
Will do! Big Grin
I´m currently creating a new lightning shader and some new decals. Where do I have to store the textures (in which subfolder) and how shall I name the shaderfile? I know there are regulations for shaders and texture but they are a bit confusing, so can somebody explain it in this case?