Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warfare

There we go! Finished preparing the well known map Warfare for Xonotic. This version is fully playable, also and especially with bots. Wink Yes, the bot performance on this map is the best I have seen so far. No jumppad-junky-bots, elevator is used as it should be, fast and continues movement.

[Image: warfare_v4.jpg]

Download: warfare_v5.pk3
This map is now part of the official game!
(licensed under GPL_v2)

Constructive criticism is welcome! Smile

Nice one, could not find an errors yet. Tongue

Looks great, uploading on my servers now.

DOWNLOADING NOW!!! Big Grin

YAAAAAAY (Constructive criticism)
near mg jumppad you are being blocked by invisible brush. Make clipping there (on both sides)
The soil texture and grass on the button level does not look epic. I don't like it. Sad
Mega health area SO improved! cool!
Higher teleporter destination - WTF? Why?
These 'paths' on the platforms (near nex, next to mortar, close to electro) ... ok. but I don't love them Tongue
There can't be two armor 50's on this map. Change the one on the staircase into 25 or sth.
I would also add a new cool feature: What about making the elevator button shootable? Have you thought about it? Player A (camping near electro) waits for player B to emarge near the nex gun. He hears the elevator and prepares to catch his opponent on the top... and suddenly the elevator s empty! howDY! Wink

I also like the wind sound

near mg jumppad you are being blocked by invisible brush. Make clipping there (on both sides)
-> screenshot please!

The soil texture and grass on the button level does not look epic. I don't like it.
-> I originally made another grass model which looked way more realistic but had three times more polygons thus affecting the performance in a bad way. While playing you don´t notice the faky grass. Tongue

Mega health area SO improved! cool!
-> Uhm what did I do?

Higher teleporter destination - WTF? Why?
-> It´s not higher. It´s just in a safer place now.

These 'paths' on the platforms (near nex, next to mortar, close to electro) ... ok. but I don't love them
-> try to imagine how the scene would look like without them. No detail, no eyecandy just loking boring then...

I would also add a new cool feature: What about making the elevator button shootable? Have you thought about it? Player A (camping near electro) waits for player B to emarge near the nex gun. He hears the elevator and prepares to catch his opponent on the top... and suddenly the elevator s empty! howDY!
-> Yes, I thought about this, but didn´t implemented it yet.

Itemplacement will be totally reworked btw, the current one is just a placeholder!

2 50 Armors were not that bad in our game tbh, you could get a decent stack to get back in control (not many shards around). Also the teleporter exit is better I guess, can't be camped now.

The lift idea sounds very interesting to me!

downloading ...

what I like ::

terain blending Big Grin
lift details (where those there before?)
cubemapped glass
teleporter (great choice of texture behind the wavy water ... and the sound)

what I dont like --
fake grass D: maybe use fake grass as a lod model and have good grass upclose
that pipe texture ... add in some 3d pipes to kinda mix it up and make the pipes feel less fake
soil/dirt texutre .... ik

overall its coming along very nicely ... ill put it up on the ps server soon

2 50 Armors were not that bad in our game tbh, you could get a decent stack to get back in control (not many shards around).
-> Yes. You now have a chance to escape such dead ends without being fragged easily.

Also the teleporter exit is better I guess, can't be camped now.
-> That was exactly the idea behind it.

fake grass D: maybe use fake grass as a lod model and have good grass upclose
-> Hmm, yes that could be a solution...

that pipe texture ... add in some 3d pipes to kinda mix it up and make the pipes feel less fake
-> If I´d do that it´ll completely brake the performance. Plus you will bump into them often and overall it would not make it look better in this case.

soil/dirt texutre .... ik
-> What´s so bad about this texture? What´s wrong with the soil? Huh Does it not fit the grass? Is is just that people don´t like soil? Please, tell me!

autosprite grass baldes URGH, MY EYES!!!
Seriously, remove the autosprite keyword Big Grin
Apart from that, mostly impressive. I shall vouch for this, if you consider it for offering for inclusion.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Can you keep the item layout the same as warfare_itemfix_itemfix please as this is definitely the best version item wise. It has the 25a at the elevator.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Try it at first before you judge. The 25 armor is totally useless and not worth to go into this "trap". Also with the new lift it's more quiet.

The armour isn't there as a main source of armour protection, it is better with 25a because if you grab the nex and 100a or have control of both the other player default position is the 50a/electro/MG/RL. If you put the 50a at the nex it basically just makes it another area for the nex/100a controller to fall back to and getting back into the map is made harder.

Thats one of the reason the itemfix_itemfix version is played the most.

Got no problem with small aesthetic changes ofcourse.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

if adding a few 3d pipes will kill preformance ... then at least cover up the areas where the pipes come to a corner ... cause it looks super fake ...

Oh I tried my best to do that but maybe I missed something... will fix that.

yay

Here my feedback:

[Image: xonotic20120811101903-00.jpg] [Image: xonotic20120811101907-00.jpg]
[Image: xonotic20120811101917-00.jpg] [Image: xonotic20120811101954-00.jpg]
[Image: xonotic20120811102030-00.jpg] [Image: xonotic20120811102109-00.jpg]

I will have a look at the areas which makes you bumping into, but one thing first: Dude, you are using picmip for judging the visuals? Come on, it´s logical that the map (especially the floor panels and the soil!) do look way better without it!

Btw the grass is causing some FPS drops, but only for like less than 1 second if you cross it.

(08-11-2012, 05:16 AM)Maddin Wrote: I will have a look at the areas which makes you bumping into, but one thing first: Dude, you are using picmip for judging the visuals? Come on, it´s logical that the map (especially the floor panels and the soil!) do look way better without it!

Lol! You think I haven't seen it without picmip? I just was to lazy to switch it off when making this screenshots! Even on the ultra this soil looks fake!!!

(08-11-2012, 10:17 AM)Justin Wrote: Lol! You think I haven't seen it without picmip? I just was to lazy to switch it off when making this screenshots! Even on the ultra this soil looks fake!!!

Geez, you're REALLY lazy then.

Hmm ok. But why does it look fake? Really, I don´t get it. Doesn´t it look realistic or doesn´t it fit the overall style of them map or what is the problem here?

Because it's easy to see that the grassblades turn towards you. It feels like as if they were WATCHING YOU oO

To fix them, just use the same grass models I used in Lightspeed. You can also try to add the fireflies Smile It's a particle effect, but doesn't really kill FPS.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

I mean the soil... I know that problem with the grass...

Only issues I'm having is the sprite grass that looks bad from most angles and the invisible wall. Other than that, this is a pretty solid remake.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.