Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[WIP MAP] Sunset

Today I constructed this map very quickly to make it ready for testing. It´s a deathmatch map, also designed for duels.

I hope many people will give it a try and play as much matches (especially duels) on it as possible and reply a constructive comment here. Don´t judge about the look here, only gameplay and layout are important at the moment!

[Image: scaled.php?server=37&filename=sunsetdi.jpg&res=landing]

DOWNLOAD: sunset_v5.pk3 3.1Mb

Now, go ahead and tell me what needs to be improved! (only gameplay and layout atm!)

Okay I'll try it Big Grin

I'll let you know what I think.

EDIT: Tested it vs a bot Wink

Overal flow is pretty nice, I can move to most places without much trouble or things in the way, with my trusty laser Smile

Megahealth downstairs is nice because players often fall down after a fight.

Perhaps move the 50 armor and some of the smaller powerups to one of the middle floors, so you'll have a nice spread of powerups, or else it'll be useless to secure the upper floor for example, because there's health and armor downstairs anyway.

Weapons are good, no nex necessary anyway because of the tight corridors and turns, I thought all weapons were useful while playing.

It would be better if you would change the wall texture into something else than the one on the floor, because it makes stuff confusing now and then, if everything looks exactly the same.

But that's all, overal a pretty nice map to play on Smile
[Image: 4766.png]
[My personal website: AquaNova ] - <> - [Ingame: <PsyX> :::: <-Archer-< :::: ]

I like it.

Constructive feedback:

50 Armor is too close to the Mega health.

Need more texture variation, if you use high picmip you can't see anything. Visually I like it though, but it doesnt work for users with pimip.

Other then that it's quite nice!

EDIT: I think I would use 2 RL's on this map, and having a 50 heath or something where the RL is now.

Funny how both of you start about the visuals, you should read Maddin's post again carefully Tongue

I'll test the map tomorrow.

(07-08-2012, 02:25 PM)Mepper Wrote: Funny how both of you start about the visuals, you should read Maddin's post again carefully Tongue

I read it, but even for the testing it's confusing to have the same color everywhere Tongue

(07-08-2012, 02:25 PM)Mepper Wrote: Funny how both of you start about the visuals, you should read Maddin's post again carefully Tongue

I didn't mean the visuals, I meant that it's unplayable with high picmip. Try it and you will understand.

@mepper: They both did it right and I´m really happy about it. They just said that the single texture is not ideal for testing. Ok, no problem, will be fixed. Smile

50 armor will be moved away from the mega health more to the rocketlauncher and the machinegun.

machine! Wrote:I think I would use 2 RL's on this map, and having a 50 heath or something where the RL is now.
Ok. I will see whether that´s possible, because the map isn´t really big, so I have to be careful not to put too much into it. I want to bring more focus on weapon control because at the moment there isn´t such a thing in Xonotic. Big Grin On the other hand your idea may be better than mine, giving the loosing player more chances to get a good weapon could be better for the balance.

_____

Keep it up with the good comments! Big Grin

What I like:

Jumppads,
item placement (apart from armor 50),
warpzone placement,
no nex gun,
very good megas placement.
Important items are higher, what forces players to climb up and use laser +1

What I dislike:

Too "open" (or mabye its just me, who likes cramped spaces),
no roof?

PS: nice map, Maddin. as always.

(07-09-2012, 04:59 AM)Maddin Wrote: I want to bring more focus on weapon control because at the moment there isn´t such a thing in Xonotic. Big Grin

Interesting idea, can you setup a 1on1 server with this map so we could try it? Or ask asyyy for getting it on exile.

Thanks Justin for your reply!

Justin Wrote:Too "open" (or mabye its just me, who likes cramped spaces)
I think I know what you mean. On the higher levels you can see from one end of the map to the other. Especially in the middle. I will fix that when adding the visual stuff later. Though it shouldn´t influence gameplay that much as the Nex is not available on this map.

And I´m really happy that everyone agreed for now it is good that the Nex isn´t there. Big Grin

@machine!: I asked asyyy in his server thread here in the forum but it seems like he didn´t uploaded it yet.

Map is on exile server now, but I can hardly test it because its so bright lol

Ok, thanks for uploading it. Made the fixes mentioned above and also reduced the brightness (though, I can´t complain as it was before lol).

Please update!!!

sunset_v2.pk3

Updated.. but why do certain mappers use the same .bsp filename for different versions of their maps? Now everyone has to delete the old version from dlcache/ by hand :x

Guides should insist on this. I don't think these mappers know how the engine works with pk3 files... :|

-_- yeah ok... I don´t know what I´m doing Mr. Bougo...

... will change the bsp name next time.

Maddin, sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean at all. PK3 loading and client-server communication is a bit intricate, it's completely normal that some mappers wouldn't understand it completely if they haven't read about its complexities. That's why I'm saying we need more insisting documentation about this.

I took a look at it ...

this map has very good design ...

I unleashed 16ish bots onto it .. very fun...

anyways ... the only issue I can find is that the corner of the edge of the wall near the mega armor is kinda odd ... it catches me when I bounce off and I loose speed ... maybe rounding that could help a little

Which corner exactly? A screenshot would help me to find it.

Maddin: after yesterdays matches on your map I have to say I m a bit confused. Maps layout is hard to learn for me. Mabye it was just a metter of distraction, but I don't think so.
Probably adding textures, making nice contrasts, details and lightning will fix this problem. Just sayin'
Also: I wuold remove 1 '50 armor' (currently there are 2 '50-s' and 1 'mega armor') and place more health and armor shards. Good luck with your map!

@Justin: Maybe it was also a bit late in the night when we played... Rolleyes And textures, details and all that visual stuff will be added AS SOON AS the layout and item placement fits (nearly) perfectly. Because changing the layout after all the nice details are added is a pain.

Justin Wrote:Also: I wuold remove 1 '50 armor' (currently there are 2 '50-s' and 1 'mega armor') and place more health and armor shards. Good luck with your map!
LOL There is only one 50 armor! Don´t know where you saw the second one. I´m sure you were very tired and needed some sleep. Big Grin

anyway...

NEW VERSION: sunset_v3.pk3

(I also did some minor layout changes)

that one

.png   xon-bounce.png (Size: 81.05 KB / Downloads: 336)

sorry the drawing sucks ...

I think spelling "cliff" right might clear up some potential confusion.

EDIT: Also, I think he wants a screenshot to know what corner you're talking about.

Played on it with [BOT]Mirio, was a nice duel, though I though the spawnpoint close to the mega-armor was a bit too close to it, though I may have seen it wrong.

It's really a good map for duels, looking forward to what you're going to do with it visually Tongue

Hutty, I agree. I'm always falling off the clit....................................... OH SHIIIIIIIIT! I MEAN CLIFF!

@hutty: Already fixed. If you might have tested the version 3. Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug [WIP] Aquanica Z(Rus) 15 7,883 12-22-2020, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Z(Rus)
  [Duel] bmn1_b2 (WIP) Beemann 11 7,840 05-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [DUEL] Graphite (WIP) t0uYK8Ne 15 9,459 05-01-2020, 07:12 PM
Last Post: samiam
  [WIP-b4] KOLOSSUS _para 12 5,738 10-09-2018, 05:13 AM
Last Post: _para
  [WIP]Distortion Justin 35 36,928 08-19-2018, 06:54 AM