Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Weird performance issue

Whenever I go to test a map I'm working on (or any other map), I experience extreme lag (about a frame every second or so), but the game's FPS counter stays normal. I can see the frame tearing every few pixels down the screen, so whenever I move, it's as if the map warps backward near the top of the screen (top of the screen is from a few frames behind the bottom of the screen). Sometimes a vid_restart will fix this, but as soon as I enter the menu, it starts again.

I've changed the vsync option as well as the "wait for GPU to finish each frame" option to try to fix it, but nothing changes. Any idea what the problem could be?

Using Arch Linux right now, nvidia GeForce 9400 GT, 2GB RAM, 2.8 GHz dual-core AMD CPU.

This is still a problem, even after updating and recompiling just a few minutes ago.

Please, any help would be great. It's really frustrating not being able to test maps because of this.

Hi vede!
I have this same problem.
I hope it will fixed soon.

Are you two using any weird compositing windows manager such as Compiz? Do you have your gfx drivers correctly set up?

Hm, I was using XFCE's compositor (lolselfdefeating), and disabling it fixed the problem. This is still a big issue, though. Having to change WM settings to play a game is a bit of a hassle, and Nexuiz works just fine with the compositor on, so we know it's not unavoidable.

And thanks!

EDIT: Okay, turning the "Display fullscreen overlay windows directly" setting on in the compositor settings fixed the problem, but only in fullscreen. So I can have my pretty transparent terminals and Xonotic at the same time in normal circumstances, but it's still an issue for windowed mode.

I discover there is something wrong with SWAP.
While you are playing, there is a very big amount of SWAP.
On my Ubuntu 10.04.1 system, my 2 Gb RAM are used and there is about 1.5-2.0x of RAM after the SWAP is written.
Consequently, disk usage is very important during SWAP transfer.

I thought during that 'evenement' the minimal configuration was a 32 core with 8Tb of RAM...SadHuhDodgy

vede, unfortunately that's a problem for every compositing WM, and it's up to the WM to solve it. You can't really have complex graphics + compositing...
The solutions you have are to either launch Xonotic in a different X session (beats the point of windowed mode though), have a global system shortcut to toggle compositing, or make a wrapper script that disables compositing while Xonotic is on and enables it back when the process exits.

Joe, can you tell us how much memory Xonotic uses? See in the system monitor or something like that.

(09-06-2010, 02:08 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: vede, unfortunately that's a problem for every compositing WM, and it's up to the WM to solve it. You can't really have complex graphics + compositing...
The solutions you have are to either launch Xonotic in a different X session (beats the point of windowed mode though), have a global system shortcut to toggle compositing, or make a wrapper script that disables compositing while Xonotic is on and enables it back when the process exits.

Joe, can you tell us how much memory Xonotic uses? See in the system monitor or something like that.

RAM + SWAP: up to 3Gb.

This is caused by our high resolution textures. Your choices are:

- enable texture compression in the menu
- reduce texture quality
- both

Sorry, we can't do much about this. Release builds will default to texture compression for this reason.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [BUG] A font-rendering performance problem (of upstream DarkPlaces) NaitLee 11 2,828 08-20-2022, 01:23 AM
Last Post: NaitLee
  [NEED HELP] Performance on AMD? Aguaumreal 1 2,117 07-13-2019, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Aguaumreal
  [NEED HELP] Netradiant looks weird when i try to open it Taplio 0 1,587 07-07-2019, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Taplio
  [SOLVED] Weird key hold issue with official version Bloodthorn 9 4,906 05-21-2018, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Bloodthorn
  [NEEDS INFO] Performance Phlegmatiker 1 2,979 03-06-2017, 09:33 PM
Last Post: -z-
Question [NEEDS INFO] Multiplayer connection issue Adrint 18 11,138 06-20-2016, 01:37 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SOLVED] Little resolution issue since using Xonotic 0.8.1 N1mbus 4 4,673 09-03-2015, 02:34 PM
Last Post: N1mbus
  [SOLVED] Wierd rendering issue Ogger73 3 4,027 05-24-2015, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Mirio
  [NEED HELP] Weird Display Issue w/ Benchmarking Autobuild gamingwithnetbooks 2 3,841 11-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Last Post: gamingwithnetbooks
  [SOLVED] Ubuntu 12.04 Install Issue Red Viper 6 7,942 03-08-2014, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Halogene