Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Is anyone really working on singleplayer?

well... I could help you Wink
but maybe the community should say if you/we can be the project managers Wink
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(09-08-2010, 07:19 PM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote: well... I could help you Wink
but maybe the community should say if you/we can be the project managers Wink

The community isn't really replying to this thread, so right now it seems that you and I are the community XD. Unless you purpose a way to get their attention... but, in my opinion, the less people working on the Lore and Plot of story mode the better... more than five people could get very hectic... and to get their attention I purpose PMing them directly if they offered their services on the forum. I don't think that going on the IRC and saying "Hey guys, we are doing the Story Mode, come here if you want to help!" because, though that's a good idea in the future, I am afraid of a hoard of people going "oh, i think that *put two pages of stuff that is the opposite of what we were going for* should be in the story mode". The people who work on the plot should be a knit, tight group of writers, then we get a few coders and mappers to read through, get their opinions, and we change what seriously needs changed to be compatible with the game. Slowly expanding our publicity, in my opinion, is the way to go. What do you think?

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=907&page=1

Also its night in Europe. People usually sleep. Tongue

(09-08-2010, 07:44 PM)Mirio Wrote: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=907&page=1

Also its night in Europe. People usually sleep. Tongue

Saw this thread. It's the whole reason I made this one.

You guys should check with the other two volunteer coordinators and see what they think.
As Mirio stated, it was night time when I last made my post and by then I went to sleep. Many of the members on these forums live in Europe so that could explain the lack of responses.
Give it at least a day or two before making any decisions. We're people around the globe with different timezones. Just remember to breath. ^_^

But anyway, check with ThePWTULN and theShadow (especially ask thePWTULN as he already kinda signed up for that part) to see if they would be willing to start things up, help a bit at the side of the whole thing or similar. This kind of task isn't super simple and does require some time and effort on ones part.
I will be updating that other thread signing you guys up as coordinators, once you have talked to the others, come back here and state what the result is.

Also, if it does end up being you who are the project manager I could nudge you in the right direction now and then. I do have quite some experience in this area and all, just that I do not want to focus all my energy to this part, hence why I'm asking for others.

PS. Oh, even now it's early in the morning. I just have the luxury to have access to a computer from time to time at work.
[Image: duck.gif]
ai am ai.

Fix the avatar size limit please! I want my avatar gifs back! DISCRIMINATION!
Also, change my name to 'ai', these forums sucks which can't have 2 letters in the nick!

Yes It was night... and then I went to sleep Big Grin
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Just a small update: A group of people are currently beginning the process for organizing and preparing to work on story mode. Please refrain from:

- posting ideas about story mode on these boards
- making new threads about story mode
- asking info about story mode; we will give it to you when we have some

Now, if you are really, truly interested in working on story mode, please PM me ASAP. We already PMed a group of people.

Please DO NOT post publicly about story mode. The admins ( rainerzufalldererste and I) have decided that, for now, organization is the key. Keeping as few people as possible informed until we have sure decisions of how we are going to go about doing things. This is mostly to keep away pessimists and people that will just say "what you are doing is stupid/pointless/impossible/against what Xonotic is".

We are aware that Xonotic is a community game, but this is how things have to be until we know exactly what the plan is. Otherwise we'll be in the same position we have been since development started.

Thank you for understanding.

This is going to fail. It could be that people could get demotivated because the development take to long, that you cant get enough people for the different objects (for example coding or modeling) but the most likely it will be that the people aim to high with their goals.

Unless there is no section yet, this is (and should be) the topic where people sign in for the special 'jobs'.
You can't get a conversation/discussion per PM with more than 2 guys anyway. Forum or IRC is the key to communicate.

(09-10-2010, 04:28 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: This is going to fail. It could be that people could get demotivated because the development take to long, that you cant get enough people for the different objects (for example coding or modeling) but the most likely it will be that the people aim to high with their goals.

My point, you helped me make it.

I know that, chances are, we are going to crash and burn. But it's people like YOU that are going to make this fail. Come on, just be quiet and watched. If we fail, then you can say you told us so. But for now, just keep to yourself about this, if you don't mind.
(09-10-2010, 04:54 PM)Mirio Wrote: Unless there is no section yet, this is (and should be) the topic where people sign in for the special 'jobs'.
You can't get a conversation/discussion per PM with more than 2 guys anyway. Forum or IRC is the key to communicate.

I am fully aware of that. Obviously you weren't notified of what we are doing... Oh well. And thanks for posting that link here!

If a mod wouldn't mind locking this thread, it has served its purpose.

(09-10-2010, 05:33 PM)MANERS Wrote: I know that, chances are, we are going to crash and burn. But it's people like YOU that are going to make this fail. Come on, just be quiet and watched. If we fail, then you can say you told us so. But for now, just keep to yourself about this, if you don't mind.

you are really new to this community, so you probably wont know about the attempts to create a SP or mods for nexuiz. They mostly fail, because of the reasons i mentioned in the last posts.

The biggest problem as I see it is dedicated coders to help out with this project. I, as a 3D artist am prepared to do the work (all of the art stuff if needed) IF there would be a dedicated coder who wouldn't quit after a week or month or so. Everything but coding I pretty much singlehandedly can do alas it would take like forever to get anything done. :p I'm not a stranger to projects like this.

But new or not to the community it doesn't matter. As long as people are dedicated. In the past there was no people who actually were anywhere close to dedicated to stuff like this, and understandably so. It's TONS of work for sure, and not everyone are willing to get into something like that.
I for one am, but only with same-minded people.

I also know, and don't even expect this to work out. But I'm willing to give it a try. One has to take chances or you won't gain anything. What's the point in just shooting down every attempt for something of this scale? Trust me, I've given out tons of this kind of advice AND shot down countless of other projects other teams were doing. Telling them about the chances of them succeeding were slim to none (after getting to know what they were aiming for of course, not just randomly saying they were going to fail :p).

We ALL know (or should at least know) that things are really stacked against us. No need to beat a dead horse. We all know where you're coming from Cortez and I guess you're just trying to be realistic about it and warn us, but we already know. ;p
So with that said, there really isn't much else to say about this.
[Image: duck.gif]
ai am ai.

Fix the avatar size limit please! I want my avatar gifs back! DISCRIMINATION!
Also, change my name to 'ai', these forums sucks which can't have 2 letters in the nick!

i guess i starting to care too much about it.
In my opinion the problem is the hyper-enthusiasm from maners and rainerzufalldererste. They arent really involved in the development, both are 'just' trying to making a story. Presumably they get with some others a story together in a month or so (no matter if the goals are set to high or not). During the development time they get bored and frustrated, because they cant participate and the development takes longer the excepted.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xonotic Singleplayer - Level 1 beaten in 0:35 Gouldron 0 1,548 05-10-2020, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Gouldron
  Anyone tried Xonotic on a high performance android? poVoq 1 4,074 05-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SouL
Bug Does anyone actually use the laser alt-fire? W4RP1G 20 15,575 04-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Last Post: ==Troy==
  Do you REALLY need over 9000 FPS to play the game? Minkovsky 23 36,693 04-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Inso
  Recording HD videos for anyone who needs them. infested999 0 2,491 01-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Last Post: infested999
  Does anyone have a download link for the Frozen Colors map? greasem0nkey 8 7,775 12-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Last Post: greasem0nkey
  Singleplayer - what do you think? ThePWTULN 17 16,138 11-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Last Post: nowego4
  What does game "depth" really mean? Duke 10 12,365 09-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Last Post: Rage_ATWM
  Singleplayer story: Priorities ThePWTULN 13 13,894 09-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Last Post: MANERS
  Is anyone still playing Nexuiz? MC SE7EN 43 44,055 06-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Agamalama