Create an account

Poll: Change Nex (Xon Rifle) color?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, change the color
30.00%
3 30.00%
No, leave it
70.00%
7 70.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Nex (Xon Rifle) color

I think that the Xon Rifle should differ from the Nex in some obvious way. Therfore my solution is a poll.

Vote yes: change the color (please specify)
Vote no: leave it what it is

nowego4

EDIT: Sorry, I should have specified. I was referring to the beam color.

Nex has a completely new model, that should be different enough.

Agree with parasiti.
Color is mostly determined by player colors (oh, and of course the nex color is totally different).
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

If you mean the beam color, then no it definitely shouldn't--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

Flying Steel Wrote:If you mean the beam color, then no it definitely shouldn't--

Yes, that blue colour makes a lot of sense for a beam of charged particles and looks pretty neat, though I have to question whether an antiparticle (the nex/xon shoots an antimatter beam) would create that sort of effect. It looks ok as is, but I wouldn't mind seeing a beam that's a bit "beefed up" and really does look like it annihilates surrounding particles Big Grin
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

I think he means the beam color! It's fine! Don't change it! Big Grin
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

I'm indifferent. How about you make effectinfo.txt more modder friendly?
My will be done.

Of course, nobody actually knows how the nex works.
I'm going to say it's not a railgun though, as there does not seem to be a place for the "bullet". The color is fine, but I would definitely change the appearance.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

(07-20-2010, 11:47 PM)Flying Steel Wrote: If you mean the beam color, then no it definitely shouldn't--

But, surprisingly, the wiki link does not indicate that the nex shouldn't make any sound in the space ... Wink
Fat.bot.Slim

Don't get too realistic, because that means almost all playermodels will immediately die on most maps Tongue

(07-21-2010, 03:13 PM)Roanoke Wrote: Don't get too realistic, because that means almost all playermodels will immediately die on most maps Tongue

Then let's be partly realistic and let campers play with the xon, but at the end of the game

Sorry, your player has died because of the radiations from the xon.
Choose another one, but next time try to vary between weapons.

Roanoke Wrote:Of course, nobody actually knows how the nex works.
I'm going to say it's not a railgun though, as there does not seem to be a place for the "bullet". The color is fine, but I would definitely change the appearance.

From the docs:

Nexuiz/Docs/basics.html Wrote:The Nex is a powerful sniper weapon. Its primary fire mode fires a hitscan antimatter lance for significant damage, but requires a very precise aim, and has a relatively long reload time.

Idk if it will be the same in Xonotic, but I though I might put that on here anyway Smile
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

Hello.

I just thought of another option. Wouldn't it be cool if the beam color changed depending on your model/team color? I realize this will probably never happen, but thought I would throw it out there.

@ rainerzufalldererste and others:

The popular opinion seems to be "why should we change it? It's fine the way it is".
Well it doesn't need to be changed, but I think it should be changed for the sake of change. We don't want people saying "oh i've played this before. It's just like nexuiz" and then go back to playing nexuiz for lack of reason to switch.

And of course I realize changing the beam color isn't going to do that by itself. But xonotic needs to be different.

I don't want an angry-face war. I want to know what you're thinking and what you want out of xonotic.

Nowego4

Changing for the sake of changing is a very, very dangerous game. I know this, I use ubuntu.
I can't see someone going back to nexuiz, here is why:
- Better models
- Better maps
- All popular servers will be on xonotic

@clan^3: So it's not Cherenkov radiation? Tongue
I say make it a "localized Cherenkov event gun" and be done with it Tongue

(07-22-2010, 11:41 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Changing for the sake of changing is a very, very dangerous game. I know this, I use ubuntu.
I can't see someone going back to nexuiz, here is why:
- Better models
- Better maps
- All popular servers will be on xonotic

True, true and truer.
That said, (and I don't know if this is true or not, pretty sure it is) people won't be able to just upload their home-made map to a home-made server.

Don't get me wrong. The new maps, models and hud are a good movement. And I will play on the servers, even if there are only 5 maps to choose from. But it will be awhile before enough maps get approved to have that "library" of favorite maps.

Please please please correct me if I'm spreading disinformation. Blush

Ever read "who moved my cheese?"

I don't want xonotic to get stale. And my idea probably was a bad one, but I do my best to except/inspire change.

Peace, Heart

(07-22-2010, 01:21 PM)nowego4 Wrote: True, true and truer.
That said, (and I don't know if this is true or not, pretty sure it is) people won't be able to just upload their home-made map to a home-made server.
They certainly will be able to do so.

(07-22-2010, 01:21 PM)nowego4 Wrote: I don't want xonotic to get stale. And my idea probably was a bad one, but I do my best to except/inspire change.
Staleness is definitely should be the least of our concerns Tongue

Oh, my bad, Roanoake. Sad

Guess I'll hide and watch for a while. Exclamation

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Reducing player color saturation GREAT-DNG 0 276 01-02-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: GREAT-DNG
  [SUGGESTION] Some "modern" Suggestions (Wipeout Mode, Electro Color) NoClue 1 1,983 10-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [BUG] Sniper Rifle Can Shoot Through Walls Space Ace 3 2,811 03-09-2018, 06:32 AM
Last Post: Julius
  [SUGGESTION] Steam and Xon promotion. end user 35 34,802 10-09-2014, 02:51 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot
  [SUGGESTION] Overkill mod: Nex balance issues unfa 12 12,401 06-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Last Post: tZork
  [SUGGESTION] Alt fire mode for Nex instead of scope? Smilecythe 28 31,398 03-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
Photo [SUGGESTION] Making the Nex more beam-like w/ video W4RP1G 29 28,072 05-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Player model color preview RaptorFX 8 7,022 12-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Last Post: RaptorFX
  [SUGGESTION] Projectiles/weapons fire match player color Lee_Stricklin 6 7,874 06-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Last Post: emrys merlin
Star [SUGGESTION] NEW WEAPON: Plasma Rifle rainerzufalldererste 21 20,821 03-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune