Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Vehicle maps needed!

Exclamation 
We need maps for testing vehicles in various modes!

Most interesting atm would be assault, ctf and ONS. However ONS in known to be broken with vehicles (assuring you want a control-point to 'own' a vehicle spawn).

Link your map here, and i will most likely add it to the [MoN] vehicle ctf map pool.

I have something floating now for long time in my head, you'll appreciate with vehicles. Just lemme finish my current map, ok pal?
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Quote:01:44 < Soe1en> tZork: I started a public vehicle testserver which runs all the time that map, so no need to download the pk3 file by hand ^^

but if you need a downloadlink, here it is!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31528944/dearsoelensroom_v8.pk3

edit: oh and the server is called

{dear} Clan Vehicle Testserver ▞▉▛▙▛▚
[Image: signature.php] [Image: DVlpo.png]

ill make a tune for any vehicle map , to help gather interest , t

k go!

t

:^

Oh yeah, there is also a funny bug talking about spider-tanks and jumppads. I will try to find a way spidertanks wont be able to reach those silly jumppads on the next map version, dearsoelensroom_v9.pk3. =D

made another fun map, just for trying it out what's possible with the current vehicles; one mario cart course from the good old super nintendo!

[Image: tYnZpZQ]

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31528944/mariokart.pk3

FYI: I noticed these warnings in the console.
Code:
Map modern_west_town-v2 contains the legacy 'type' keyword which is deprecated and will be removed in the future. Please migrate the mapinfo file to 'gametype'.
Map modern_west_town-v2 contains the legacy 'type' keyword which is deprecated and will be removed in the future. Please migrate the mapinfo file to 'gametype'.

Were there later releases of this map?

Recently some discussions have occurred related to vehicles in Xonotic. Many ppl complain about them. I have asked Sjoerd “Hourences” De Jong
http://www.hourences.com/about/

about vehicles in gamplay in Unreal-alike games. This is what he responded to my e-mail:

Quote:Hi,

I don't know about any reading source about it but two things to keep in mind:

Not everyone will have a vehicle probably, or players will lose it along the way. You need to make sure the floorplan also offers fun and protection to those on foot. If you'd just have large open areas then losing vehicle = dead, and that should not be the case. So you need to add small narrow pedestrian routes, cover along the way, high routes, etc.

Every vehicle has weaknesses and strengths. Make sure that one vehicle cannot dominate all areas. Design some areas to be better fit for certain vehicles. It would be a bad idea to take a tank into a forest for example, but a dirt bike would do great. Design the area in such way that there are pros and cons to various vehicles and routes.

-Sjoerd

I think we have good starting point about vehicles-dedicated CTF maps for Xonotic Smile

RAGE ON!

Keep in mind it does not have to be CTF maps, there are modes such as ONS and Assault in Xonotic that could possibly make better use of vehicles then CTF does.

we need a dirt bike vehicle ...

(06-03-2012, 03:16 PM)Majki Wrote: Recently some discussions have occurred related to vehicles in Xonotic. Many ppl complain about them. I have asked Sjoerd “Hourences” De Jong
http://www.hourences.com/about/

about vehicles in gamplay in Unreal-alike games. This is what he responded to my e-mail:

Quote:Hi,

I don't know about any reading source about it but two things to keep in mind:

Not everyone will have a vehicle probably, or players will lose it along the way. You need to make sure the floorplan also offers fun and protection to those on foot. If you'd just have large open areas then losing vehicle = dead, and that should not be the case. So you need to add small narrow pedestrian routes, cover along the way, high routes, etc.

Every vehicle has weaknesses and strengths. Make sure that one vehicle cannot dominate all areas. Design some areas to be better fit for certain vehicles. It would be a bad idea to take a tank into a forest for example, but a dirt bike would do great. Design the area in such way that there are pros and cons to various vehicles and routes.

-Sjoerd

I think we have good starting point about vehicles-dedicated CTF maps for Xonotic Smile

RAGE ON!
Wow, sounds like good advice. I hate the wide open VCTF maps we currently have.

Quote:Keep in mind it does not have to be CTF maps, there are modes such as ONS and Assault in Xonotic that could possibly make better use of vehicles then CTF does.

According do guy who worked with 4 Unreal games, current vehicle maps are anti-vehicle ones. That's why I started this thread - it would be shame if vehicles were nerfed only because maps are incorrectly constructed.

Sure, im just putting it out there. And the sorta basic design discussed in the OP i would imagine apply to any map, not just ctf ones.

I'm keen. I'll be on IRC - quakenet - #xonotic in about 5 - 6 hrs

I dislike dearsoelensroom_v8 with a passion. It is dark, the jump pads are annoying, I hate the "plastic soldier" feel.
[Image: ev13jl.jpg]

(07-13-2012, 01:12 PM)qubodup Wrote: I dislike dearsoelensroom_v8 with a passion. It is dark, the jump pads are annoying, I hate the "plastic soldier" feel.

thats the intention of such maps.

btw do not post screenshots in full resolution
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I edited the post to thumbnail it. Click for larger image.

Thanks & sorry.

do note that it is still a wip ... all the vehicle maps are a wip ... except for peacefields ... that ones done

who created dearsoelensroom_v8 map?
Wait....

Soelen?

I played it twice. I absolutely agree with qubodup

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [MAPS] Sketchy Maps _para 4 3,997 08-18-2020, 07:15 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  xonotic-maps-extra.pk3 - Most Duel Cup maps and removed official maps in one pk3 northivanastan 1 3,713 06-20-2018, 09:41 AM
Last Post: northivanastan
  [WIP] Skybases (vehicle CTF map) Penguinum-tea 0 3,177 05-14-2015, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Penguinum-tea
  Any one would like to create a Vehicle demolition derby map? end user 3 4,512 05-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Last Post: end user
  [CTF][Vehicle] Duster (release r2) SavageX 15 19,738 04-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Last Post: end user
  Nexball maps HELP needed [Update March 7th] Cortez666 5 10,490 03-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Last Post: Cortez666