Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Trouble

Hi, I'm new in Xonotic and, to get started, I decided to play the single player mode. So, everything was alright 'til I reached level 5. I don't know what it's wrong, but when I load the level It gets started automatically -without the previous step: when the game is loaded and the player has to press space to start. Then, somehow it crashes but without quitting the game. The screen is cold. And I can't play, quit or do anything. I have to begin again my computer.

Does anyone know which can be my problem? I'll be glad to receive a reply. Smile

Macbook pro spec.:
10.6.8 version
2.3 GHz
Intel Core i5
4 GB memory
Intel HD Graphics 3000
(Is anything more needed?)

Thank you!

That's strange. Can you try in windowed mode to see how the game crashes?

(08-03-2013, 05:27 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: That's strange. Can you try in windowed mode to see how the game crashes?

I tried. It reacts the same way. I can't click elsewhere, though I can move the cursor. I can't even force exit to quit from Xonotic.

You mean the ingame cursor, or your operating system's cursor? And the entire system gets frozen until you force it to shut down or restart, is that right?

(08-04-2013, 05:24 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: You mean the ingame cursor, or your operating system's cursor? And the entire system gets frozen until you force it to shut down or restart, is that right?

My operating system's cursor, because my ingame cursor doesn't work. However, the operating system's cursor appears after a while the game doesn't work. Yes, the entire system gets frozen and the only way I found to solve it, it's to shut down/restart my computer.

You're using Xonotic 0.7, right?

I don't think I can personally help with the issue, but I have asked others and am waiting for a reply.

(08-05-2013, 10:00 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: You're using Xonotic 0.7, right?

I don't think I can personally help with the issue, but I have asked others and am waiting for a reply.

Yes, I'm using Xonotic 0.7, the one that can be downloaded in the website.
I appreciate what you're doing for me, thanks.

I had a brief exchange with merlijn who said it might be some sort of overheating (although I would doubt that, since you can consistently and instantly reproduce the problem on map 5 of the campaign and never had it happen on maps 1 to 4). He also said 10.6.8 is ancient, you might want to update your OS if possible and see if that works.

Could you try changing the graphics settings to the lowest possible preset before launching level 5 of the campaign? (make sure to apply the settings)

(08-05-2013, 06:17 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I had a brief exchange with merlijn who said it might be some sort of overheating (although I would doubt that, since you can consistently and instantly reproduce the problem on map 5 of the campaign and never had it happen on maps 1 to 4). He also said 10.6.8 is ancient, you might want to update your OS if possible and see if that works.

Could you try changing the graphics settings to the lowest possible preset before launching level 5 of the campaign? (make sure to apply the settings)

There are no updates for my OS at the moment. Actually, I couldn't find the system requirements needed to play Xonotic. However, I guess this is not the problem since I can play maps 1 to 4 without any inconvenient.

I tried to change the graphics to the lowest but, then again, in level 5 the game crashes.

You could try turning off OpenGL 2.0 shader (menu->settings->video). If that does it you'r GPU drivers either don't fully support ogl2 shaders or you need a updated driver for it.

Hm. Have you had any similar crash in multiplayer?

Anyway, you can still try the next levels by skipping level 5. To do this, open the Xonotic console in the menu by pressing shift escape, and type in there:
Code:
g_campaignxonoticbeta_index 5

(08-06-2013, 05:05 PM)tZork Wrote: You could try turning off OpenGL 2.0 shader (menu->settings->video). If that does it you'r GPU drivers either don't fully support ogl2 shaders or you need a updated driver for it.

I did and it worked. I could play the level 5. However it's not the same playing that way. I guess you're right, my GPU drivers might not fully support ogl2.

(08-06-2013, 05:07 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Hm. Have you had any similar crash in multiplayer?

Anyway, you can still try the next levels by skipping level 5. To do this, open the Xonotic console in the menu by pressing shift escape, and type in there:
Code:
g_campaignxonoticbeta_index 5

I haven't had any similar crash in multiplayer, though I only went once there -because lately my Internet connexion is not good.
I skipped the level 5 and I had no problem while playing level 6. However, the game crashed again at level 7.
So, as tZork said, my problem may come from the OpenGL 2.0 shader.

Thank you tZork!

Sorry about this, Dice. There's not much we can do about that, I'm afraid Sad

I suspected map #5 could be the first campaign map with warp zones. I had game crashes with those on a broken driver ver before. I have little knowledge of mac's or osx, but surely there must be a way to use different driver versions? If so, and your already using the latest one, perhaps try downgrading a few notches.

I thank you both for your help. It seems that playing without the opengl2.0 shader the game works. I'll try to downgrade some notches too, just in case. I'm aware that a Mac is not the best machine to play games. Smile

Looking at http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...quirements your hardware should be quite capable of running xonotic at normal (with ogl2 shaders) settings. The only entry i can find with comparable spec's is running windows though, so its very likely a driver/software problem of one form or another. I know theres a few ppl running os x in the community; hopefully some of these more mac savvy ppl provide some better advice on what to try.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Trouble with setting up a non-local private server spaceenfix 3 3,530 03-22-2023, 12:53 AM
Last Post: FAF
  [SOLVED] Trouble unzipping cygiconv-2.dll on Windows 7 (0.8.5) papa 3 4,345 10-19-2022, 05:01 PM
Last Post: mrhip
  [SOLVED] Trouble with launch Xonotic on Mac OS X kanatov 6 11,070 10-03-2015, 10:49 AM
Last Post: SomeGuy
  [SOLVED] Trouble with .8 and map downloads kuedan 18 16,044 02-14-2015, 05:36 PM
Last Post: kuedan
  [SOLVED] [SOLVED]Compiling trouble on Ubuntu Sir Emeth Mimetes 6 23,972 11-25-2010, 06:40 AM
Last Post: Sir Emeth Mimetes