Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.0 Mappool - 2nd approach

https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=6224
A year ago i already made an attempt, but let's try a different approach this time.

Currently, there are plenty of good maps made for Xonotic. Let's gather them in this thread. 
So there is a list of potential maps, which could end up in the game.

The most important rule is be realistic, if you take a look at xonotic.co there are plenty of usable maps.
Many of them are from Quake, but the map needs to be open source, so maps from quake 2 and 3 are automatically disqualify themself. 
The quality of the maps (gameplay and visualwise) needs to be on the same level as the offical maps or better.

If there are unfinished maps which have potential, post them as well. (The remaining work needs to reasonable) 

Let's see some maps.

List:
DM:
bromine
monstrosity
bloodrun
luminar
trident
aether
aggressorx_wz
tuhma
dm_jungo
crystalcave
Opium
Quark
CTF:
Attic
apace
Distortion
evilspace_ctf
go
rusty
tarx
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Distortion for CTF
https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=4281
It's gorgeous and has good original Xonotic music to go with it.
But aside from that, it's design also stands out.

As I've posted before, a very large amount of Xonotic CTF maps strongly favor the Vortex or have wide open spaces where projectiles are less appealing to use because it seems instagib's dominance on CTF influences the maps that will be designed. It's gotten to the point of "moving to Reflex" to play CTF as a previously considered option if it wasn't for the flag drag in Reflex, and I think there's just a stalemate of being bored with Deathmatch objectives and not really having a variety of content with Xonotic's objective based game modes.

So this map having none of the map design memes of:
  • Vortex positioned in the middle in close proximity of Strength
  • Being able to snipe across entire map from mid to a base, or base to base
Stands out strongly.

Despite this, I will still relay the sentiment that CTF maps generally are not as carefully designed as the Duel/Deathmatch maps, which have all the cool jump tricks, rampy things everywhere, etc, meanwhile CTF maps, not so much.

DM/TDM/CA/Duel:
bromine, monstrosity, bloodrun, sinister, devilish, luminar, trident, farewell, aggressorx_wz, tuhma, dm_jungo, crystalcave-r04 (afaict this version doesn't have the invisible obstacles)
CTF:
moonstone

Not really sure which of these would be disqualified because of being made for q3a.
The aerowalk remake would probably be popular if it was finished.
Also, more assault maps would definitely be nice, but I don't really know any of them well enough.
[Image: 62796.png]

(10-27-2017, 01:51 PM)Lightbringer Wrote: Not really sure which of these would be disqualified because of being made for q3a.
The aerowalk remake would probably be popular if it was finished.
Also, more assault maps would definitely be nice, but I don't really know any of them well enough.
i just added the non quake maps and left out the quake maps. 
There are only a few assualt maps. i made a ut highspeed remake with savagex and forseti map some assault maps too.

(10-27-2017, 08:31 AM)Antares* Wrote: Despite this, I will still relay the sentiment that CTF maps generally are not as carefully designed as the Duel/Deathmatch maps, which have all the cool jump tricks, rampy things everywhere, etc, meanwhile CTF maps, not so much.
Well, designing a CTF map is way more timeconsuming then a DM map. When i made a ctf i made them mostly for public games, the only competitiv ctf map i made is bluez_vs_redz-
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.ph...ight=Opium
Opium (DM)
  • It looks good
  • the guy who made Fuse and Florescent made it 
  • it has rampy things everywhere
It has some missing textures on the bulletin boards, but that's about it.
I really like Florescent the CTF map, except maybe the kill ditch in the bases, but he made that for Quake 3.
We really have a lot of DM maps.
Please make more CTF maps with actual rampy things on them.
Bluez_vz_redz has no rampy things.

Can't say much about most of maps, but as fan of tdm mode i raely like bromine and monstrosity.
<machine> dude, i know i suck Smile
<OHSNAP! Mossepo> but you dont like finko-suck, u have potential to be good
Diomedes: Finko: You are the most intelligent guy in this community.

While you are including those maps
(10-26-2017, 04:13 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: List:
DM:
bromine
monstrosity
bloodrun
luminar
trident
aether
aggressorx_wz
tuhma
dm_jungo
crystalcave

Add this one too https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=6719 (Quark)

It is shiny and has people's attention.

CTF
Attic, Appace, Tarx and Go already have branches in the maps repo, so they're definitely worth considering. Moonstone is also pretty popular. While they are mostly played in insta, I think Evilspace_ctf and Rusty also work great for vanilla with smaller teams.

Nexball
There are several good nexball maps, I think a good mix of football, basketball and volleyball would be nice

Assault
We would need some mappers to create good assault maps

DM/TDM/CA/FT/etc
Bromine, Monstrosity, Bloodrun, Thuma and Trident. The official mappool already features quite many (T)DM maps, but a few other maps might be needed (especially bigger ones).

First Post updated.

(10-28-2017, 11:08 AM)Antares* Wrote: https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.ph...ight=Opium
Opium (DM)
It has some missing textures on the bulletin boards, but that's about it.
This is one of the the maps i would suggest, too. It suits very well for 2v2 and cityy knows what he is doing.
The missing textures on the bulletin boards are releated to the mapping contest  the map was made for.
some visual enhancements are needed though, for example real jumppads. cityy started with that and posted some screenshots before he left for his studies.
(10-28-2017, 11:08 AM)Antares* Wrote: Bluez_vz_redz has no rampy things.
The map was made in 2 weeks and the main focus was playability.
(10-28-2017, 11:45 AM)Freddy Wrote: CTF
Attic, Appace, Tarx and Go already have branches in the maps repo, so they're definitely worth considering. Moonstone is also pretty popular. While they are mostly played in insta, I think Evilspace_ctf and Rusty also work great for vanilla with smaller teams.
Moonstone won't be an option until someone fully rebuilds the map as it uses non GPL content. 
There was a poll 3 years ago, which maps could be included.
https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=5013

Afaik, Apace and Go are supposed to be included in Xonotic 0.8.3, and possibly other maps: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic-maps....lestones/4
Maps I think are good candidates for 1.0 :
  • Bromine (large TDM map, often played on pickups)
  • Breath (nice 2v2 map)
  • Opium (same)
  • Equinox (nice CTF map)
  • Monstrosity (same as Bromine)

Cubes by Justin is a very nice DM map.

Atomforge.
I keep thinking it's part of Xonotic because of the artstyle, but turns out it isn't.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1.0 Mappool ? Cortez666 40 27,634 07-29-2016, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Cortez666