Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Preparation: what's your nationality / native language?

Nationality: German
Native language: German (surprise!)
Other languages: English, Finnish

I strongly recommend everybody to learn Finnish as a foreign language. It is the most beautiful language I ever encountered.

Plus, it is spoken by almost nobody (in relation to the world's population).
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(10-27-2010, 06:48 AM)Halogene Wrote: Nationality: German

I strongly recommend everybody to learn Finnish as a foreign language. It is the most beautiful language I ever encountered.

Finnish beautiful? Big Grin This is kinda odd, because you're not the first non-Finnish who has said that Finnish is beautiful. But to be honest, as a Finn, I think Finnish is kinda graceless and hard language.

(10-27-2010, 06:48 AM)Halogene Wrote: Nationality: German

And the hardest language to learn in Europe.. and it's not even an Indo-European language! (No relation to any other language in Europe). And since it's only spoken by barely 5 million people, how are you planning on practising it?

I've tried before with Norwegian, but everybody just replies in perfect English, so what's the point? Sad

(10-27-2010, 07:01 AM)Exitium Wrote: Finnish beautiful? Big Grin This is kinda odd, because you're not the first non-Finnish who has said that Finnish is beautiful. But to be honest, as a Finn, I think Finnish is kinda graceless and hard language.

I know that Finns tend to think of their own language as harsh, but I find the Finnish people have a very sweet way of using their language. Like using "pösö" for "peugeot". Or "Bemu" for "BMW". This does not apply to cars only, but those are examples that came to my head now. Like "mersu" for "Mercedes". Big Grin

And it is only harsh if foreigners (like Germans Tongue) speak it. They just don't know how to pronounce soft consonants.

Oh, I start to get carried away and leading this thread off topic. I should stop. Smile
My Xonstats Profile

I'm Basque Tongue
Other languages: Spanish, English
somewhere

then we here have a battle for the weirdest european language: Finnish VS Basque.
Fat.bot.Slim

(10-27-2010, 10:21 AM)Rage_ATWM Wrote: then we here have a battle for the weirdest european language: Finnish VS Basque.

Basque imo. It's the only language that has absolutely no relation to any other European language. It's definitely unique and very special.

But also, from what I've seen.. BLOOMING HARD! Smile

Stupid American here.
English (sort of)
Dabbled in Japanese before.

I once ate some shrooms and thought I could speak hindi, but I was wrong.

English. However, if you get me angry I might resort to my "angry New York English" language, which is something altogether different.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

i'm german, and i speak german. and english. and i can read some latin Big Grin

(10-26-2010, 02:48 PM)booo Wrote: also @liquid sin: white ?wtf? i hope its some sort of a joke : )

I speak English and happen to be white this is all you people need to know. (waits for the you people? post)
<[-z-]> have you seen the documentary "happy"?
<Samual_> no
<Samual_> it sounds horrible

What are you waiting for? A "you people?" post? Don't get it.

Anyhow what you seem to be provoking is some kind of statement that skin colours don't have to do anything with nationalities nor languages. So let's all just acknowledge such statement was hereby made by me and get back to the topic of which languages you actually speak and where you're from.

I have learnt some french and latin too, but don't actually speak any of them.
My Xonstats Profile

(10-28-2010, 12:49 AM)Liquid Sin Wrote: this is all you people need to know.
Nah, we needn't.
Fat.bot.Slim

(10-27-2010, 10:21 AM)Rage_ATWM Wrote: then we here have a battle for the weirdest european language: Finnish VS Basque.
Finnish winsBig Grin
somewhere

Nationality: Russian
Native language: Russian
Other languages: English

And... Finnish and it's soft consonants are not weird at all. :P
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

(10-28-2010, 02:56 AM)Halogene Wrote: What are you waiting for? A "you people?" post? Don't get it.

Anyhow what you seem to be provoking is some kind of statement that skin colours don't have to do anything with nationalities nor languages. So let's all just acknowledge such statement was hereby made by me and get back to the topic of which languages you actually speak and where you're from.
seriously don't take things so serious, if you lol'd good for you if not then move on.
<[-z-]> have you seen the documentary "happy"?
<Samual_> no
<Samual_> it sounds horrible

(10-28-2010, 12:40 PM)Liquid Sin Wrote: seriously don't take things so serious, if you lol'd good for you if not then move on.

I did. Tongue

(move on, I mean)
My Xonstats Profile

Nationality: France
Main language: French
Other languages: Spanish and English

Nationality: Italian
Main/Native language: Italian
Other languages: English and a little bit of French

I have to say that i speak italian with a little (or big? :-p) influence of Roman dialect Big Grin

Great income Smile Big thanks for taking part Smile I'am gonna make a list of nationalities/languages soon and place it in the first post, so those who think that something is missing can react Smile I think that this list can be also helpful if this idea comes to life.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Language: hungarian
Spoken languages: hungarian, english, german

And just won the battle for the weirdest european language ;P

Well hungary is sort of on an equally weirdo level with finnish isn't it. Only european languages with "ugrian" roots. Or however they are called.

HEEEY Welcome to the forums, Francotirador! Long time no see!
My Xonstats Profile

Canada, British English (about 2 words different from US English).

Im German
native language is germanWink
Other languages are english (middle),french (bad) and indonesian (bad-mid)

German, too!
Languages: German, English, Spanish, Latin (-.-)
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I (sort of) converted the QC bytecode to native exec, but unfort w/o perf improv oblector 0 411 10-20-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: oblector
  Ask your questions about Xonotic here Dokujisan 942 812,955 09-02-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: oblector
Rainbow Your Favorite Maps cushinga 6 1,633 03-14-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
Rainbow What's your favorite color? Or which color you use in game? Kotangens 1 1,182 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  FPS Showdown - Go submit your best frags! Smilecythe 4 4,397 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  Why is your server empth 24/7 slowtwitch 10 8,008 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: end user
Information We want your help Samual 35 34,835 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Leroy
  WoX-BloX needs your help! CuBe0wL 14 11,477 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Pythonistas, please raise your hand Dokujisan 13 10,688 10-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Spyroviper
  New Language for the spoken parts. teams 14 11,891 08-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Last Post: atheros