Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
Ask your questions about Xonotic here

This thread is for asking questions about the Xonotic project, because we know you have lots of questions to ask :-)

Before you post anything here, make sure to read through the FAQ page completely.

Also make sure to read through the existing questions on this thread to make sure your question hasn't been answered already.

We thank you for supporting Xonotic!

How long before we can expect a download?

And also, the FAQ says: "low quality textures will be dropped and replaced with high quality".

On the current version of Nexuiz, I have to run with r_showsurfaces 3, r_sky 0 and all graphics settings at lowest quality, just to get an average of 60fps.

How will this "higher quality textures" affect that?
[Image: di-712770583645.png]

(03-22-2010, 08:56 AM)Vordreller Wrote: How long before we can expect a download?
When its done Wink

Vordreller Wrote:And also, the FAQ says: "low quality textures will be dropped and replaced with high quality".

On the current version of Nexuiz, I have to run with r_showsurfaces 3, r_sky 0 and all graphics settings at lowest quality, just to get an average of 60fps.

How will this "higher quality textures" affect that?

It wont. If you dont load textures (well more or less), their size is irrelevant Tongue

I just realized that Xonotic will need different servers.
Did you guys talked to anyone about this? Maybe the guys with the DCC server.

I think this is a very important issue.

(03-22-2010, 11:40 AM)tZork Wrote: It wont. If you dont load textures (well more or less), their size is irrelevant Tongue
Huh... I remember setting the "texture quality" in nexuiz... so it must be on... how do i turn them off then?

r_showsurfaces 3 indirectly lower the texture quality to just slightly more then nothing.

I have two questions:

1. I see that the main developers of Nexuiz are now developing Xonotic. Does this mean that Nexuiz will get less frequent updates, or no updates at all?

2. The FAQ says "low quality textures will be dropped and replaced with high quality". I don't really like to use r_showsurfaces, and I'm not able to get a better graphics card for my computer. Does this mean I'll lose a lot of FPS?
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

I hope devs will not split up and focus on the xonotic.
Also at least we need a clone of current nexuiz SVN with name changed. So people will know xonotic faster.

I just cloned the current xonotic git main branch.

Sadly, it has no windows executable Sad
Only a server-executable...

Yup, as soon as it has a Windows executable I'm fetching it too.

Let's wait..
Xonotic Assasins!

Quote:<tChr^nsb> home
* pughar gives tChr^nsb a cookie
<Liquid-Sin> no cookies for me?
<pughar> gave the last one to him Smile
<Liquid-Sin> my luck...

Here's a question:
I trust you guys, but is there any way we can somehow protect the "Xonotic" identity and name from theft by a few core individuals? In other words, how can we prevent anybody in the future "pulling a Nexuiz" on Xonotic?

IANAL, but I was talking to somebody and they seemed to think that the GPL 3.0 would prevent that, but I don't think so. Could we maybe add a clause that says that the Xonotic identity is jointly owned by everybody who commits, and the use of xonotic.org must always be in order to promote a community driven game? Or maybe something better thought out, but along those lines though?

Am I making myself clear? I think in general this represents a bigger risk that is shared by many open source projects, and has led me to think that there may be good cause for somebody who is a lawyer and could write an optional clause to the GPL that would enforce this sort of thing.

Outside of the name, will this project significantly differentiate itself from Nexuiz 2.5.2 and earlier? and if so how?

When does the first generation start?

Any chance of a campaign mode eventually?
Oh, and what about backwards compatibility? If the game is going to be a cousin of Nexuiz, will they be similar enough for Nexuiz players to play on Xonotic servers?

I must point out that the proper way to pronounce Xonotic is:

zon + o + tic
which sounds much better than
zone+otic

Smile
Well thats what it sounds like to me. should be changed in FAQ.
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

(03-22-2010, 08:41 PM)fabianhjr Wrote: When does the first generation start?

basicly when its done. there is quite a bunch of stuff to do till it can be released

MC SE7EN]Any chance of a campaign mode eventually?[/quote]
That generally depends, how far will you go.

[quote=MC SE7EN Wrote:
Oh, and what about backwards compatibility? If the game is going to be a cousin of Nexuiz, will they be similar enough for Nexuiz players to play on Xonotic servers?
Its going to be a forked version, which means its basicly the same only at a higher level

(03-22-2010, 11:41 AM)Aleator Wrote: I just realized that Xonotic will need different servers.
Did you guys talked to anyone about this? Maybe the guys with the DCC server.

In this case that would be me and cubeowl (for practical things.. in reality also others). Let me assure you that all/most of the "big / important / usual" server admins are on board. I know the simba servers, ninja servers, dcc, planetnexuiz, RBI and some others will switch servers as soon as a 1.0 Xonotic release is out.

(03-22-2010, 02:16 PM)ThePWTULN Wrote: 1. I see that the main developers of Nexuiz are now developing Xonotic. Does this mean that Nexuiz will get less frequent updates, or no updates at all?

2. The FAQ says "low quality textures will be dropped and replaced with high quality". I don't really like to use r_showsurfaces, and I'm not able to get a better graphics card for my computer. Does this mean I'll lose a lot of FPS?

1. IMO all of the "current" Nexuiz developers switched and only Vermeulen and LordHavoc are maintaining Nexuiz for now. If they manage to get a new team together there could be stuff going. In fact LH seemed like he wanted to "streamline" Nexuiz to be more attractive to the mainstream players. Though honestly i have no clue what will happen to Nexuiz now.
But Xonotic development is at full power, the switch really spawned a lot of new interest in old and new developers so i guess for the next year Xonotic is were EVERYTHING will happen and we'll have to see what Vermeulen does with Nex

2. There is work done on a new fast/dynamic picmip code in the engine.. meaning you can change the texturesizes ON THE FLY and thus this will mean no change for you at all. Just raise the picmip setting a bit if needed.

(03-22-2010, 06:07 PM)Vordreller Wrote: I just cloned the current xonotic git main branch.
Sadly, it has no windows executable Sad
Only a server-executable...

In fact there is not even a server executable :-P You probably just found a link and script that WOULD call the real executable.
In git you only find the "sources" for Xonotic. You will have to compile the engine and the gamecode to get a working game. We are in the process of making documentation available on how to do this. But usually a "make release" in the darkplaces directory would produce a engine, and a "make" in the Xonotic data/xonotic-data.pk3dir dir would produce the gamecode..
More to come later!!

(03-22-2010, 07:33 PM)michaelb Wrote: I trust you guys, but is there any way we can somehow protect the "Xonotic" identity and name from theft by a few core individuals? In other words, how can we prevent anybody in the future "pulling a Nexuiz" on Xonotic?

There is no pseudo team holding the domain, code and fate of Xonotic. As you can read the FAQ Xonotic is a community effort and this EACH of the members owns a bit of copyright on Nexuiz (at least code and data contributors) so in order to make a NON-GPL fork of Xonotic EACH of those would have to agree. And we are now split into several teams, web stuff, coding, PR and so the domain and stuff is no longer owned by a single person to pull such a stunt again.
Also read the FAQ: http://www.xonotic.org/faq

(03-22-2010, 07:54 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Outside of the name, will this project significantly differentiate itself from Nexuiz 2.5.2 and earlier? and if so how?

Please read the FAQ: http://www.xonotic.org/faq
There are lots of planned changes and differences.
Real signature is still in production!

And what about the name? Right now, I can trademark the Xonotic name and release a commercial game using that name and again you guys wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

I think this has also be taken care of already.. The problem with Nex was that the trademark was basicly sold to IllFonic.

(03-23-2010, 07:34 AM)Zephiir Wrote: And what about the name? Right now, I can trademark the Xonotic name and release a commercial game using that name and again you guys wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

That's debatable. We could pretty easily claim prior art. But yes, we just finished up the logo recently and it will have "tm" next to it to signify that we claim that as a trademark. We also discussed trademark registration (which is technically optional to protect trademarks, but it helps) and we haven't come up with a clear answer about that. It's costly to register trademarks in multiple countries.

Gaaargh, esteel has replied to all Big Grin No room for us Wink
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Hey, i have to live up to be a forum addon Angel

Will Nexuiz's .cfgs (say, for example, the ninjapack or my own binds) be drop-in compatible with Xonotic or will they need to be possibly rewritten to avoid deprecated commands and such?
[Image: weirdsig2.png]
emesde

Whenever beta testing begins, I'd like to be part of it. However, the massive updates to Nexuiz were always irritating to me. It always took so long just to download the patch that I would put off updating for several days just because I didn't want to get downloading it and have to cancel, only to have the download refuse to pick up where it left off, as happened so many times with Nexuiz patches. Will the updates to Xonotic be done is such a way that I won't have to download a massive patch every time? I see the FAQs says more frequent updates, so this really would be an issue for me if I had to download a huge patch every time.

(03-23-2010, 09:57 PM)emesde Wrote: Will Nexuiz's .cfgs (say, for example, the ninjapack or my own binds) be drop-in compatible with Xonotic or will they need to be possibly rewritten to avoid deprecated commands and such?

Yes, compatible. Basicly all such cfg's are general things and hardly depend on anything from the "game" itself. And as xonotic will be a direct successor of Nex there will be nothing to change at all. Well unless for example you have some binds that "say" weapon names, as those WILL change Tongue but thats minor.

MC SE7EN: Depends on how you use Xonotic. The git repositories holding the source and data are public and soon there should be a docs/an easy way to do a build.. Using git you then have one larger download up front and can basicly get each single change 1sec after it happend and the change-download will be totally small. But then you will also be the first one to find out about bugs :-)
If you wait for official patches they have to include everything that changed since the last release. Including maps and textures. That can be quite some MBs..
Oh and well Xonotic structure was changed a bit so its now possible to get get code/music/data separately with git..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Your Favorite Maps cushinga 6 1,597 03-14-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
Rainbow What's your favorite color? Or which color you use in game? Kotangens 1 1,160 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  FPS Showdown - Go submit your best frags! Smilecythe 4 4,370 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  Why is your server empth 24/7 slowtwitch 10 7,965 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: end user
Information We want your help Samual 35 34,712 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Leroy
  Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? unfa 147 152,809 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Wii-Wii
  WoX-BloX needs your help! CuBe0wL 14 11,426 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Here's my fair share Scorpion 8 8,090 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Last Post: PGP_Qz
  Pythonistas, please raise your hand Dokujisan 13 10,649 10-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Spyroviper
  ITT: post your WASD teams 9 10,647 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin