Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
Ask your questions about Xonotic here

Eh...was alerted to the madness by a friend. I would like to become involved with development this time around. I'm finishing up my senior year of high school, with very few events left. I should have some decent time to help. I'm gonna grab the source and try to wrap my brain around it(figuratively speaking).
I have on interesting suggestion for Xonotic..."Random Procedural Level Generation". That should be self describing. I'm just glad to see that the spirit of Nexuiz hasn't died.

BTW: I would be glad to develop some music. I have decent experience with LMMS/Zynaddsubfx. They are an awesome combo. Big Grin

Hi.

Are there any plans towards "product quality testing"? Like Mc Seven said, like having a team of beta-testers using different OSes that are given built pre-releases to test?

I have vista x64. That is a real test of stability! Big Grin

No need for a team...
People will get there GIT-fix satisfied anyway, so ...
Its enough with a wiki page describing how to get it, bugtesting and what to GIT and so forth.

(03-24-2010, 01:16 PM)GreEn`mArine Wrote: Are there any plans towards "product quality testing"? Like Mc Seven said, like having a team of beta-testers using different OSes that are given built pre-releases to test?

I like this idea. I've got 2 PowerPC based machines running ubuntu, one i7 with win7 64bit and 64bit ubuntu, and 2x 32bit ubuntu machines, both intel. I would be willing to test on them.
Latest obsession.

Once we have a working release, you'll be able to see it on GIT, and it'll be ready for download.
Our "product quality testers" are you: the Xonotic community Wink
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

you should be aware though that this kind of random "letting people play with it" strategy is just one aspect of testing.

Oh, and the reason I mentioned why people should try different OSes and platforms is of course for testing compatibility of the game (and the OS and its drivers), as well as performance monitoring (attempting to stop the trend of making the game slower rather than faster).

And a proper organisation of the whole thing, of course Tongue

(03-23-2010, 07:51 AM)Dokujisan Wrote: ... But yes, we just finished up the logo recently and it will have "tm" next to it to signify that we claim that as a trademark. We also discussed trademark registration (which is technically optional to protect trademarks, but it helps) and we haven't come up with a clear answer about that. It's costly to register trademarks in multiple countries.

Who is "we"?

As soon as the repository is in a state where the team can release something working there will be nightly git builds, etc.. don't worry Big Grin

Right now, you really just get nexuiz out of the repos with some changes that aren't really game specific.. There's still the plans of replacing the contents and the repos need organizing, build scripts need to be written etc..

OTOH: If you have a 24h on box which could host some VM's as building environments (debian linux, debian linux 64 bit and a licensed windows), make sure to come to the dev channel and talk with the team..
He can talk the talk, but can he caulk the caulk?

Can't wait for an Alpha or Beta. Wink
Xonotic Assasins!

Quote:<tChr^nsb> home
* pughar gives tChr^nsb a cookie
<Liquid-Sin> no cookies for me?
<pughar> gave the last one to him Smile
<Liquid-Sin> my luck...

The FAQ promises new animations.

Will the playermodels now "look" where they're aiming?
My will be done.

(03-31-2010, 01:27 AM)AnArKiSt Wrote: Will the playermodels now "look" where they're aiming?

Work towards that end has started.. so yeah at some point it will have that.
Real signature is still in production!

Hello All...
I have question
1.Is Xonotic new OpenSource project?
2.Is our Nexuiz on PC platform now dead?

Thank you all....

(03-31-2010, 01:09 PM)od@r Wrote: Hello All...
I have question
1.Is Xonotic new OpenSource project?
2.Is our Nexuiz on PC platform now dead?

Thank you all....
Xonotic is an open source fork of the Nexuiz project

Nexuiz on the PC platform may continue, it depends on if they find people to program for it.

thaks,i have another question:
which version is really FREE for people,NEXUIZ or XONOTIC?

Both are. It's just that the nexuiz devs have all moved to xonotic.. So unless someone else takes their place xonotic lives and nexuiz is dead.. NOTE: i do not talk about the console nexuiz here which is a proprietary closed source product..
He can talk the talk, but can he caulk the caulk?

Please give an estimate of the game's file size when officially released and unzipped.
My will be done.

Well, the last one was 880MB

Without all the extra maps.
[Image: di-712770583645.png]

Well there are plans to have much bigger texture sizes while keeping the old ones for map compatibility.. so thats likely to increase beyond 900mb..
Real signature is still in production!

Meh, well as long as I can fit a zipped copy on my iPod, I can just extract at play at the library, I guess.
I have the übersmall 2nd gen Shuffle, 1GiB. I just use it for storage though.
As long as I keep backups of my cfgs, I'll be fine. Smile

Thank you, esteel and Silverburn.
My will be done.

Will a nonprofit foundation be established to protect the trademark, like the Linuxmark Institute?

we discussed some ideas for that a few weeks ago. If we are to do something like that, it would take time to plan out. We would like to consider alternatives though. In theory, we don't really need a foundation to protect a trademark. That just makes it easier.

In addition, we would need to define what "protecting the trademark" means for an open source game. Typically for a company, protecting the trademark would mean preventing others from using our trademark / logo at all without expressed permission. With an open source project, we might not want to limit things quite that much. So we'll likely consult with FSF or some other groups to figure out what would be best for an open source project with trademark protection. In the meantime, we'll be adding the TM mark next to the logo soon (after some more details get ironed out) to state that it is our trademarked logo. That's the first step in protecting a trademark.

In fact, I think we had one person already who was an attorney that offered to assist us. When we get further into this discussion, I'm sure we'll consult with people such as that. Of course, if anyone here is an attorney, feel free to PM me :-)

Are the logo source files (fonts and .svg/.xcf file) going to be released?

I don't think Dokujisan has anything against it.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

I'm just curious about Xonotic's "theme".

Well, you know, Quake games are like neogotchical and gory, Unreal Tournaments are gory scifi with big guns, Warsow is colourful cartoonish game, Alien Arena is retroscifi etc. However, I have never managed to make clear what kind of theme Nexuiz has. It's scifi with guns, yes, but there's no actual clear "theme" with it.

Based on this topic and 3D models (mainly from Media-section) Xonotic is going to be somehow "space-y". Is there any other plans? Is Xonotic going to be game where players have shiny blingbling armours and laserbeams which say "pewpew" and fragged opponents turn into atoms, or players are harsh spacetroopers with big guns which go bang and blood splatters all around the walls?

I prefer the latter. Big Grin

Or is this galatic thing just Moo's idea?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Your Favorite Maps cushinga 6 1,597 03-14-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
Rainbow What's your favorite color? Or which color you use in game? Kotangens 1 1,161 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  FPS Showdown - Go submit your best frags! Smilecythe 4 4,370 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  Why is your server empth 24/7 slowtwitch 10 7,965 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: end user
Information We want your help Samual 35 34,712 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Leroy
  Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? unfa 147 152,810 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Wii-Wii
  WoX-BloX needs your help! CuBe0wL 14 11,426 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Here's my fair share Scorpion 8 8,090 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Last Post: PGP_Qz
  Pythonistas, please raise your hand Dokujisan 13 10,650 10-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Spyroviper
  ITT: post your WASD teams 9 10,647 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin