Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[SUGGESTION] Tutorial maps

So I was browsing the data dir for the glsl files to skim through, but found the tutorial speech instead. And while I was doing that, I found that these were strangely similar to some of the Portal stuff. Hmm.

Anyway, I'd like to re-do the tutorial, with maps and new sound files. This may take a long time, but the end product should be a quality tutorial.

Also, would you mind doing this in the underground science facility theme?
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

I would also like to work on the tutorial map, I think Antibody will be the designated speaker. If you get started right away using the tutorial from Nexuiz 2.5.2, I'd be happy to give it my full attention in a week or so.

I would like to see in it, in addition to the original content in the 2.5.2 tutorial:

- A practice race after a basic rundown of movement is given
- The option to use every weapon with an explanation, but not making it compulsory, to make sure the tutorial doesn't go for to long
- A trick jump section
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

I was rather thinking of re-doing everything, and I'm writing a script already. If Antibody decides to voice the tutorial, that's great. I'm now done with the script for seven rooms, including basic movement, jumppads, laserjumping, bunnyhopping, midair control and pick-up items. I intend the tutorial to be scripted and programmed professionally. If you intend to help me, that's awesome, however I'm rarely on the IRC, so everything we do we'll have to do here.
I intend the tutorial to be a set of maps, divided in three sections - learning, testing, battle practice. The links between maps will be the target_changelevel.
The main theme is the Facility 114, and it would be great if Moo would send us his (even unfinished) work, so that we could use it as one of the battle practice maps.
With the script, I've gone as far as pickups, and room 8 would be weapons and their quirks. I'm also working on first room (which'll be very small, given it's only the WSAD tutorial). If you ever played Portal, or seen a playthrough of it, you'll now what kind of facility I'm talking about.
The naming for the maps is tut_XX.bsp, and must correspond to the script (which I'll post once it's finished, probably in a week or so Wink )
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Making tutorial maps is always on the table, but as I know, no one currently is working on it. Poke Doku and [-z-] about some additional info (hint: videos...)
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

(01-24-2011, 04:18 AM)Cuinnton Wrote: I would also like to work on the tutorial map, I think Antibody will be the designated speaker. If you get started right away using the tutorial from Nexuiz 2.5.2, I'd be happy to give it my full attention in a week or so.

I would like to see in it, in addition to the original content in the 2.5.2 tutorial:

- A practice race after a basic rundown of movement is given SORTA IN
- The option to use every weapon with an explanation, but not making it compulsory, to make sure the tutorial doesn't go for to long IN
- A trick jump section NOT IN YET

There is also one puzzle room [planned], which will include Porto and other weapons to press buttons in sequence in order to open the door, and a livefire section with Beginner-level bots [planned]. And I think we'll need a new texture set, similar to Fac114 but different - a clean lab style, but not all plastic.

Textures wishlist:
Floor: Big tiles, concrete-like areas, small tiles, plastic tiles, grates
Walls: At least 4 different walls from those kinds: Tiles, Plastic, Concrete and Metal
Ceilings: standard concrete ceiling, painted concrete, few variations on floor textures.
Trims should match walls and floors.
Misc: Various details, fans and suchlike, some glowing stuff a la Glowplant, glass - gritty, patterned, distorted, clean (I'll do envglass myself), special effects, pipes, etc.
Graphic signs - please provide templates (a blank lightbox with all the materials, sizes: 1:1, 2:1, 3:2, 1:3), I'll do the signs themselves.
Decals - decals that would be good to go with lava (a line of scorch) and slime (acidic erosion), better-quality decals a la trak4x, stuff like that

Models wishlist:
Cameras (animated if possible, to show a camera moving around), Jumppads, lamps, re-make the it/lcd model to have it display an animated texture. Think of any details you may want to have in the tutorial map.

Style: clean lab, medium-bright.

Yep, if you take care of the basic layout and script i can do all the detailing and some functionality. I will use facility 114 textures. As far as lab design we can make it so like in most tutorial maps. A great example is Deus Ex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpS9V9Qox...playnext=1 we can use func_train and a player model as an instructor much like the original tutorial

And yes a warpzone and teleporter room would be cool.

PM me when you need me Smile
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

(01-24-2011, 07:13 PM)Cuinnton Wrote: We can use func_train and a player model as an instructor much like the original tutorial I was thinking about putting a player model in the observation rooms behind the glass.

And yes a warpzone and teleporter room would be cool. You readin' meh mindz or smnthn?

Func_train? Sounds cool, and if we make energy beams mark the path, it could be totally Portal-esque. But I'm using stuff like teleporters and lifts and airlocks. I'll think about the train thing, though.

Can the func_gravity be used to make a Super Mario Galaxy effect? Angel

UPDATE

Base first two rooms ready for detailing and re-lighting, as seen here:
[Image: tNzU5NA][Image: tNzU5NQ][Image: tNzU5Ng][Image: tNzU5Nw]

Those are also places to put the Tutor in. Second room is (almost) scripted. As for script, well... Get it here. However, it's still kinda unfinished.

So, what do you say?

Looks nice, and I like the glass effect - but don't you think in a high tech place they should be able to make better glass? I find it a bit disturbing to have all that techy design and then they have totally screwed up non-planar glass...
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(01-25-2011, 06:36 AM)Halogene Wrote: Looks nice, and I like the glass effect - but don't you think in a high tech place they should be able to make better glass? I find it a bit disturbing to have all that techy design and then they have totally screwed up non-planar glass...

Placeholder. I'll have to edit the shader and make it more modern glass, but before that, I just had to see how the thing works.

OK, so I threw away dp_water in favor of dp_reflect, and re-made the materials - now the glass is dirtier, flat (no normalmap) and has proper gloss maps (so that the stripes look duller than rest of the glass). It now looks like this:
[Image: tNzZ1ZA][Image: tNzZ1ZQ][Image: tNzZ1Zg]

Glass looks much better...

But make sure you line up the brushes so that there's only one edge on the corner (middle screenshot makes it look like this, don't know if my eyes deceive me or if it is the case).

Kinda sorta fixed.

Also, if you want, here's what I've done so far (if anybody wants to relight/detail those maps):
http://ompldr.org/vN2Q4bA

What ever happened to this? I have to tell new players the very basics every day because they have no idea how the weapons work or even how to bunny hop. The Nexuiz tutorial was great. I'd like to see something like that, but also a prompt when you first boot the game, or perhaps after you are prompted with the xon stats registration option, that urges the player to try the tutorial before going online.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Single Player Tutorial Game(s) Space Ace 62 30,515 02-07-2023, 08:59 PM
Last Post: cushinga
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Nexiuz-like tutorial for beginners agvant1b0 1 2,413 05-19-2022, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Freddy
  [SUGGESTION] Community Design Workshop: singleplayer weapons tutorial s1lence 4 7,598 07-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] Movement tutorial ingame Justin 27 24,340 09-24-2012, 06:02 AM
Last Post: frostwyrm333
  [SUGGESTION] Old maps / "low-quality maps" Debugger 8 9,283 02-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Tutorial collection Lamoot 1 3,260 03-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Lamoot