Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Xoylent

Yes, that's as far as I have come - but NOW I think I know the password. Darn, it's so obvious now, I gotta go test it first thing tonight. Thanks sev. Now I wish I wouldn't have needed that help though.Blush
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

For everyone who can't find the Easter Egg I made a video, which shows how to get there and what to do is in the describtion.

SPOILER ALERT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7yuq53X4IQ

DIZ MUP LUKS OSOME!!!
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Nicely done on the sounds and easter egg, all very professional.

For next release I suggest putting Tuba on asteroid Big Grin

Thank you. I'm always on the outside looking in and couldn't handle it anymore

rock the asteroid!
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

(04-02-2011, 12:38 PM)kuniu the frogg Wrote: rock the asteroid!

Haha, awesome screenshot! Big Grin

This should be on the front page Big Grin
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

(04-03-2011, 05:29 AM)FruitieX Wrote: This should be on the front page Big Grin

+1
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Ok, so multiple people have mentioned that the map is black unless it is loaded manually (and I have confirmed this). Is this a map issue, a server issue, or a dlcache issue?

This map will be included default eventually, right? I mean, if G-23 got in (which is fine, it's a good enough map) then this one should too!

(04-20-2011, 03:15 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Is this a map issue, a server issue, or a dlcache issue?

server side issue, ask the admin to check the urls.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I resurrect this thread (because this is where my post actually belongs). Almost everyone may know that I love this map very much, and I think its gameplay is one of the best, also for duel game mode. I have to admit, though, and others will agree, that the placement of spawn points is a problem on this map. Personally I don't do spawn fragging because I feel a player that just spawned is sorta helpless towards a mg/nex combo and therefore it is not really fun to do that, but in competitive gameplay this can of course really ruin an otherwise interesting match. I would like to see Xoylent in any competitive map pool, because the gameplay is actually really good if it wasn't for the spawn frag runs. The pushing off the map enables a player to break control rather easily, which allows for more interesting strategies imho, such as actually trying to use the weapons for pushing rather than for damaging (I KNOW THIS DRIVES SOME OF U CRAZY BUT IT'S FUN).

This is why I kindly request the spawn points to be reworked on this map. They should be placed so that you cannot really attack 3 or more of them from one place. IMHO you could place a spawn point on the outer side of the pathway to the mega health and one even on the top of the map. Maybe even put a weapon or a small health pickup up there :o) Generally I think you should be able to get to a gun quickly from a spawnpoint.

A more sophisticated system would be to implement a dynamic spawn procedure where you automatically spawn at a location that cannot be attacked from the opponent's position, that could fix similar issues on other maps but would of course mean coding effort rather than just moving some spawn points.
My Xonstats Profile

There actually is a spawnpoint weighted selection system, that selects a random spawnpoint with minimal distance to any player as a weight. That's what g_spawn_furthest does, and it can be easily adjusted in code because div rocks.
From cl_client.qc, current git:
Code:
entity Spawn_WeightedPoint(entity firstspot, float lower, float upper, float exponent)
{
        // weight of a point: bound(lower, mindisttoplayer, upper)^exponent
        // multiplied by spot.cnt (useful if you distribute many spawnpoints in a small area)
        entity spot;

RandomSelection_Init();
        for(spot = firstspot; spot; spot = spot.chain)
                RandomSelection_Add(spot, 0, string_null, pow(bound(lower, spot.spawnpoint_score_y, upper), exponent) * spot.cnt, (spot.spawnpoint_score_y >= lower) * 0.5 + spot.spawnpoint_score_x);

return RandomSelection_chosen_ent;
}

Currently, a random number between 0 and 1 is selected and compared with g_spawnfurthest. If the random number is smaller it gives more weight to the furthest spawn points, otherwise it selects uniformly:
Code:
if (random() > autocvar_g_spawn_furthest)
                        spot = Spawn_WeightedPoint(firstspot, 1, 1, 1);
                else
                        spot = Spawn_WeightedPoint(firstspot, 1, 5000, 5); // chooses a far far away spawnpoint

This is of course not sniper-proof, but I'm not sure what you could do about that in an elegant way. There's no easy way to know what a player "sees", and tracing a line between the player's shot origin and the spawn point can be circumvented by hiding, not even far from the spawn point.

... the real problem is the map is just too small for protected spawning ... the roof could work .... but its kinda strange... I also wouldn't put one on the mega health path because that is so close to the edge ... It would be easy to accidentally walk off when spawning

spawnprotection could avoid that problem. in my opinion, the spawnpoints are well placed around the map. especially for minsta duel, but also for ffa dm. so don't change it.

Always found spawn protection annoying in 1on1 and I'm sure it won't be used in normal weapons competitive duels. Spawns will always be an issue with the map anyway, changing spawns isn't going to change the fact it's still a space map halogene Smile although if you think they can be improved fair enough.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

changing spawnpoints it's kind of pointless anyway, people will learn it quickly and with such small and connective map, it will be the same after some time
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

A nooby question: why using a pre-defined discrete set of spawnpoints (as opposed to any random spot in the map, or any random spot in the neighborhood of a pre-defined discrete set of spawnpoints)?
Does it come from some technical aspects, or is it more, let's say, philosophical?
Fat.bot.Slim

(03-16-2012, 01:18 PM)kuniu the frogg Wrote: changing spawnpoints it's kind of pointless anyway, people will learn it quickly and with such small and connective map, it will be the same after some time

another option would to add like 30-40 spawnpoints, but nevertheless the problem of the size remains. You are too fast at another point of the map.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

okay. i played some minsta duels on xoylent. and i noticed a disturbing noise. as we have to listen to all the sounds in minsta duel, that noise in the background is really annoying. that's why we revived soylent...

You can disable that ingame background noise in the audio menu "ambient" sounds. Tongue
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

(03-16-2012, 01:12 PM)kojn^ Wrote: Always found spawn protection annoying in 1on1 and I'm sure it won't be used in normal weapons competitive duels. Spawns will always be an issue with the map anyway, changing spawns isn't going to change the fact it's still a space map halogene Smile although if you think they can be improved fair enough.

Might be, but the position up at crylink is too powerful for spawn frags as of now, at least that's how I feel. You could easily change that by a) moving the spawn point that's down the stairs from there around the corner so you face the mega health, or b) add additional spawn points like for example one more at mg facing the other one, one at rocket launcher, one at mega health...

The fact that it is a space map doesn't make Xoylent unsuitable for duels per se, in that respect I really would like you to accept pushing people off a map as a valid game play technique.
My Xonstats Profile

(03-19-2012, 02:50 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: You can disable that ingame background noise in the audio menu "ambient" sounds. Tongue
oh, thanks for the hint...but are you sure, that no other important sounds are missing when disabling ambient?

Tanya: I am sure, yes :o)
My Xonstats Profile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CTF] Xoylent (WIP) kuniu the frogg 14 12,997 02-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Last Post: Nodenum