Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Comparison between Xonotic and Nexuiz

I tried to make this kind of thread here, but apparently it was turned into massive offtopic-thread. So let's try again, with the original idea!

A few days ago I was kinda bored and made a quick graphics comparison between Nexuiz and Xonotic.

[Image: tOG1xeA]

It seems like some liked this kind of comparison and wanted more of these. Therefore this new thread exists. Post here all kind of pictures, videos etc. how things have developed since Nexuiz 2.5.2 with the "then - now" idea!

PS. Let's avoid offtopic here. Smile

Yes, indeed - let's avoid the off topic discussion (i.e. HUD) in this one, mmkay? Please post unadultered screenshots comparing Nexuiz 2.5.2 to Xonotic git (or at least the XWIT build). As I stated before, I'd like to write about them if we get enough content to do so.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

After years of playing the map on the left and having many fond memories of it, I can not really judge these screenshots fairly.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

(05-10-2011, 03:20 PM)Exitium Wrote:
(05-10-2011, 02:26 PM)Rage_ATWM Wrote: Trying to take the fresh naive look of a new player discovering Nexuiz and Xonotic, I don't feel obvious that he would necessarily prefer the right snapshot than the left one...
Probably because soylent had a high quality artstyle.
I don't want to be provocative in any way.
Am I the only one here to feel this?

That's called "marketing". And I'm sure that most of people think that the Xonotics graphics quality is better than Nexuiz'
but usually, marketing is a form of propaganda to seduce external users/customers, but not the community itself.
I'm surprised that no one so far agreed or disagreed my initial post.
Fat.bot.Slim

(05-11-2011, 02:19 PM)Rage_ATWM Wrote:
(05-10-2011, 03:20 PM)Exitium Wrote:
(05-10-2011, 02:26 PM)Rage_ATWM Wrote: Trying to take the fresh naive look of a new player discovering Nexuiz and Xonotic, I don't feel obvious that he would necessarily prefer the right snapshot than the left one...
Probably because soylent had a high quality artstyle.
I don't want to be provocative in any way.
Am I the only one here to feel this?

That's called "marketing". And I'm sure that most of people think that the Xonotics graphics quality is better than Nexuiz'
but usually, marketing is a form of propaganda to seduce external users/customers, but not the community itself.
I'm surprised that no one so far agreed or disagreed my initial post.

Propaganda? o.O Wut?

So, you mean that the picture which I took is propaganda and thus wrong and comparison like these must not be done? Or what was you point?

And by "marketing", I wanted to show how things have improved from Nexuiz 2.5.2 by showing this picture. My idea is to show "Look, what we, or you have done. And I like it, it's damn nice." to community, and the actual "marketing" stuff for the others which are not in Xonotic community. If someone disagrees with me, that Nexuiz picture is better and Xonotic worse, then it's ok. I made this picture because I feel that Xonotic is getting to the better direction. And this is completely my opinion and I thought that some others shares the same idea.

And please, I really do hope that this discussion is not going to massive offtopic. Sad

@Rage_ATWM - I like both! Soylent is well designed and has a very consistent style. Add to those aspects the fact that I've played the map 100s of times and you know why I'm fond of it. That being said, Xoylent is gorgeous too!

Also the comparison screenshots don't have to be all about the map either. The point about the impact sprites sev made is exactly the type of stuff that I think needs to be shown, and screenshots/pictures are a great medium for it.

In the end I don't know exactly what we want to show w/ these comparisons, but I think in the very least it is a fun exhibit for people to look at. Whoever looks at the screenshots can decide which they think is better.

"a fun exhibit for people to look at"
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

soylent is a little bit dark with the green lights.

xoylent looks clearer/brighter.
at a first glance i would prefer the right map.

just for the maps, im not an expert , but the second map looks better and more friendly.

and back to the other thread^^, if we just talk about graphic we need the picture of the exactly same map.
otherwise its like apples and bananas in my opinion.
i know xoylent was made for xonotic but if we wanna see xonotic´s improved graphic compared to nexuiz...

@rage: i love soylent, great map. but i prefer xoylent only for my eyes.
maybe i have a different feeling if i play both maps on nexuiz or xoylent.

i'm not saying that soylent looks better than xoylent. Xonotic graphics are obvisouly better than Nexuiz'.

I was just wondering aloud whether xoylent is that more beautiful than soylent for a new user who doesn't know anything about Nexuiz/Xonotic.
Somehow, many posts containing "awesome" seem to confirm that.
I was just saying that it's not that obvious for me.
Fat.bot.Slim

like i said before im not an expert, but u can see more details on xoylent. maybe because of the dark lights on soylent !?!?!
but im pretty sure new people would prefer the right one...
ill ask some people in other forums.
lets see Wink

Erhm. I hope this thread does not turn into "Soylent VS. Xoylent" thread. My original idea was to compare quality between Nexuiz and Xonotic - it could have been any other map or any other situation. Actually I did think about Stormkeep, but somehow I chose Xoylent. I can't say why, but I thought it was a good idea.

Please, try to keep ontopic. And of course post other pictures! Smile

Edit: And yeah... It seems using verb "improve" isn't the right word, because everyone doesn't agree with that word. Maybe "change" is better verb? So this thread is to compare Nexuiz and Xonotic how things have changed.

hm okWink but i think xonotic has always an advantage.
if somebody reworks sth which was made a few years earlier, its always looking better.
most of the time.
if u only see the grphical things.
but as i said i posted this question in another forum with 3,507,652 members and xoylent is in front atm. soylent has zero pointsSad( feel srry for my soylchenSad(

@Crrazzy: nice input!
@Exitium: agree, this is about Xonotic graphics Vs Nexuiz graphics. Imho, stormkeep would have been even a better illustration because there is no drastic change from Nexuiz to Xonotic.

Btw, just one question which maybe could save a lot of time in this thread: from my understanding, the 3D rendering engines of Xonotic and Nexuiz are basically the same (DP). Maybe xonotic fps is higher, but I mean there is no new visual effect in Xonotic. So, Xonotic graphics are better only because the mapping requirements are higher (high resolution textures). I here don't talk specifically about models and HUD.
Is my statement right?
Fat.bot.Slim

(05-11-2011, 11:22 AM)PinkRobot Wrote: After years of playing the map on the left and having many fond memories of it, I can not really judge these screenshots fairly.

^^ I fully identify with this post.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(05-11-2011, 11:54 PM)Rage_ATWM Wrote: Btw, just one question which maybe could save a lot of time in this thread: from my understanding, the 3D rendering engines of Xonotic and Nexuiz are basically the same (DP). Maybe xonotic fps is higher, but I mean there is no new visual effect in Xonotic. So, Xonotic graphics are better only because the mapping requirements are higher (high resolution textures). I here don't talk specifically about models and HUD.
Is my statement right?

Yes. Absolutely. IIRC I pointed that thing out on that other thread (or if I didn't, I forgot to mention it). And when I talk about 'graphics', I actually meant level of textures and requirement of higher quality maps, textures and models. I thought this was obvious and therefore used word 'graphics'.

Guys, calm down.
Soylent is a great map. But it obviously would not have been included with Xonotic as a stock map.
The remake simply prevents it from being "left behind".

However, if server admins want to, they should still be able to offer their players to play on good old soylent.
It's still there. No reason to be sentimental.

As written before, I think Exitium's intent is to highlight the work that has been put into Xonotic during the past year.

One more idea (maybe best shown with a video):
[Image: lo6o9kn2jtcy7myiiwpi.jpg]

The new health models are great as they are. But they also make good use of very cool (cubemap ?) reflections.

(05-12-2011, 04:04 AM)sev Wrote: I think Exitium intent is to highlight the work that has been put into Xonotic during the past year.

hmkay.
good sentence, i completely understand ur point of viewWink
but one question. no discussions in here? because i like those threads and if i just look at those pics or vids and say " awesome,nice,cool" ...its just unpersonalSad( i mean ive seen those pics in other threads and i was really excited but i didnt feel like i have to write "cool" and so on to every new map which was made etc.

(05-12-2011, 04:04 AM)sev Wrote: One more idea (maybe best shown with a video):
[Image: lo6o9kn2jtcy7myiiwpi.jpg]

The new health models are great as they are. But they also make good use of very cool (cubemap ?) reflections.
this looks great^^, really.

edit: @rage: xoylent is still in frontWink
btw people asked me about these two games only because of these screens. i think they like these picsWink

(05-12-2011, 04:04 AM)sev Wrote: As written before, I think Exitium's intent is to highlight the work that has been put into Xonotic during the past year.

Yes, that's what I've tried to express from the beginning. Maybe I have used the wrong words because it seems everyone hasn't understood my point.

The examples about the impact sprites and health models are spot on. We need to show off more of those type things!

I'll try to take new pics at weekend. Smile

(05-13-2011, 08:17 AM)Exitium Wrote: I'll try to take new pics at weekend. Smile

use viewsize 120 for the pics so there are only the pics and nothing else Smile
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(05-13-2011, 09:53 AM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(05-13-2011, 08:17 AM)Exitium Wrote: I'll try to take new pics at weekend. Smile

use viewsize 120 for the pics so there are only the pics and nothing else Smile

Or r_letterbox 1 and fly around in spectate mode. Wink

there are a few new things that xonotic has visually, such as the HUD damage effects, underwater fog, gib flame effects (if they are merged into git), etc.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

[Image: saamkn1iwp8p0k4j6sx_thumb.png]

[Image: 598xwap11v887zksft71_thumb.png]

Angel
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

Nice. Graphics improvements are indeed substancial.
Fat.bot.Slim

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nexuiz server in xonotic browser Cooper Hawks 19 16,235 01-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [Nexuiz Frag Movie] Farewell PCLizard 33 37,237 05-24-2016, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  Wish to replace the xonotic music with the music from nexuiz Chromatose 19 19,625 07-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Last Post: rafallus
  Xonotic vs Nexuiz 2.5.2 - Core differences rafallus 13 24,466 02-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Last Post: hutty
  The best nexuiz videos MDWGUNS 144 138,125 11-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Last Post: PCLizard
  [Nexuiz Frag Movie] A unique frag B3RZERK 6 7,385 09-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Graphics: Xonotic VS Nexuiz [WARNING: OFFTOPIC] Exitium 73 97,435 05-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  An average day in nexuiz australia. ... 11 21,525 02-08-2011, 04:03 AM
Last Post: chooksta
  Nexuiz site mepper[NoSkillsOnlyLuck] 8 8,999 02-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Last Post: SkyHookers
  Biggest Nexuiz irony; The Sexuiz website MirceaKitsune 10 15,750 02-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Rad Ished