Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Bots got no legs

Yay! 4m has a new idea! Distract him and RUUUUNNNN!!!!

Okay, it's like this: playing against bots has always felt a little weird in Nexuiz and subsequently in Xonotic, too. i always thought it's because the bot AI is too stupid, but it ALWAYS* WILL BE when compared to real people. So, what's the matter? Sure, you can tell the bots from their names (and behaviour, obviously), but you can't tell from their looks!
MY SUGGESTION would be to remove their legs.
4m038105 - Be the change.

The semi-offtopic discussion was moved to WW. I left a copy of the original post here because the question still stands.

(09-01-2011, 09:57 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: The semi-offtopic discussion was moved to WW. I left a copy of the original post here because the question still stands.

I agree, this thread and .. the question? both make a lot of sense

I'm not convinced there is any need to make the bots stand out visually. Already I don't like having the '[bot]' tags on public servers for the following reason:

- New player joins server, sees only bots are on, leaves. Keeps trying lots of servers, sees there's only bots on servers that they get a good ping with, leaves game for good.

Instead of:

- New player joins server, doesn't realise opponents are bots and has hours of fun gameplay none the less. Other players also join and the bots soon become irrelevant. Player base grows BECAUSE OF THE BOTS BEING ANONYMOUS.

Now I know I'm now going to get loads of responses of 'why can't you tell the difference between bots and humans?' I can, as can you because we are seasoned players. Let's face it we're going to play the game anyway but this is NOT about us. This is about the wider more novice player base that we could be gaining by not being 'bottist'.

So, server admins: switch off the [bot] tags.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Well, what if a players tries to TALK to bots (not knowing they're not humans)?

New players mostly don't talk, they don't know how to Tongue

It always takes some time to discover the magical button t.

NOOOO! Don't say that letter! You'll release the Chooksta!

Actually, unfa proposed a way of solving the bots-are-mute problem.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Yay. This thread is a discussion on making bots actively using chat:

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2114
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(09-04-2011, 04:54 AM)edh Wrote: I'm not convinced there is any need to make the bots stand out visually. Already I don't like having the '[bot]' tags on public servers for the following reason:

- New player joins server, sees only bots are on, leaves. Keeps trying lots of servers, sees there's only bots on servers that they get a good ping with, leaves game for good.

Instead of:

- New player joins server, doesn't realise opponents are bots and has hours of fun gameplay none the less. Other players also join and the bots soon become irrelevant. Player base grows BECAUSE OF THE BOTS BEING ANONYMOUS.

Now I know I'm now going to get loads of responses of 'why can't you tell the difference between bots and humans?' I can, as can you because we are seasoned players. Let's face it we're going to play the game anyway but this is NOT about us. This is about the wider more novice player base that we could be gaining by not being 'bottist'.

So, server admins: switch off the [bot] tags.

That's actually a really good point.

Not needed any more. Enough players online now.

Bots are always relevant. Not all servers are full at all times.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Flag Carrier Roaming for Bots Antares* 3 3,162 07-05-2017, 02:38 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Crouching & climbing for bots Antares* 0 1,858 06-21-2017, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  [SUGGESTION] xonotic bots helloitsme 8 8,492 09-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Last Post: zwz
  [SUGGESTION] Got some gripes about the physics (Oh god not this $#!+ again) in the autobuild Lee_Stricklin 15 16,448 06-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Friskydingo
  [SUGGESTION] We got the fireball, so how about ice? emrys merlin 8 9,306 04-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Last Post: emrys merlin
  [SUGGESTION] Different characteristics for Bots Mirio 12 12,719 11-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Last Post: Rust Heart