Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DM]x-qg The quad generator

Here a small dm map for for 2 to 4 players. Bots fight well but have a tendency to camp close to the megahelth.

I still have some trouble with vis optimisation but the map is playable with an average 50 FPS. I tried to use a costum sound track wich I did put in the "sound/cdtracks" folder and I wrote in the map info file "cd loop nameofthetrack.ogg" but I could not have the music to play when I loaded the map. I hope to correct that for the next release.

[Image: tYXJ3bg]
[Image: tYXJ3bw]
[Image: tYXJ3cA]
[Image: tYXJ3cQ]

Get the map here:

map x-qg_beta01 12/11/2011
map x-qg_beta02 13/10/2011======> FPS improved, TY C.Brutail
map x-qg_beta03 03/11/2011======> More Lights has been added, also some little details.
map x-qg_beta04 03/02/2012======>Slime fixed, game models replace quad items, some details added
map x-qg_beta05 07/02/2012======>Add the bsp file :-)
http://ompldr.org/vY292Mg

Just wow! The map looks absolutely gorgeous!
I haven't looked at the sources yet, but I can see some stuff you can already change, it might help you a bit with performance, eg. texture the non visible sides of slime brushes with invisible, "here-be slime" type shaders.

Another question: did you use fully GPL compatibel textures?
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Looks promising and very pretty judging by the screenshots. Going to give this one a try.

EDIT: Just got done running around the map and I like it. Reminds me of one of my favorite UT99 maps DM-LP-Sublimitas with the way that it is is seemingly small, but multi-tiered, and loaded with hiding places. As for the custom track, I actually went snooping through the archive and listened to it, I think your map would be more suited to using the Jumping in Space track that hasn't seen much attention outside of the Gasoline Powered remake (Space Elevator). There are also a ton of other music tracks, many of them GPL, on this forum that would probably work that otherwise wouldn't see the light of day. Also the custom sound effects that were included didn't play on the map in game and were in wav format. You should probably try to find some GPL'd replacements for those that are in ogg format if and when you do some revisions to this map.

Wow, indeed very nice. I see all kinda models and effects, great.

The only thing to change what I can see from the screenshots. Change that color green in the 4th screenshot, it is just a boring color, and doesn't fit the map.

Oh, and don't just use a custom sound track, 90% of the maps use these custom music tracks.
But there is a huge thread, "Music thread for all music", that contains a lot of new tracks for maps, just use a not-yet-used track that fits your map, not just some custom track.

http://ompldr.org/vYXJ3bw <3 this
A bit overly dark, but in general the map has not-so-usual look and atmosphere to it, while still fitting into Xonotic style. Keep on.

you should get this map on git.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

I like the screenshots a lot.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

@C.Brutail TY for your advices about slime.
@Lee_Stricklin I do not know how to use any song I want to use out of xonotic package!
@Mepper The green color come from the slime reflection, anyway ta the begining I wanted the map with a green color dominant.
@Lord Canistra The new map version is brighter but I think I would prefer it darker.
@theShadow No way to get that map on GIT, it is an amateur map, I picked up anything as a texture and it is not an artist work. Also the map is full of mistakes.

To all thank you for your good comments.

(10-13-2011, 07:13 AM)Leeloo Wrote: No way to get that map on GIT, it is an amateur map, I picked up anything as a texture and it is not an artist work. Also the map is full of mistakes.

Well, this applies also on some maps on the git server. Wink
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Wow, this is in my top 3 best looking maps (alongside Stormkeep and Claustophobia). The map suits the Xonotic's fast gameplay and the bots actually work! The map did make me mad with rage though... WHY CAN'T I GET MY HAND ON ALL OF THOSE GOD DAMN STRENGTH POWERUPS!

Oh yes, about those power ups.
Apart from the one obviously pickable one, you should use misc_gamemodel to load up the actual strenght model, and apply a spawnflag to make it rotate.
By mistakes I don't know what you're talking about, I still need to look at the sources. Map cleanup can be hard, but it might worth it.
Also, recreating some textures won't be so hard.

An update with a brighter version of the map. I still need to know how to add a custom backgroud music track. All I could found on this forums does'nt work.

You need to add "cdtrack trackname" (without quotes) to the .mapinfo file. Replace "trackname" with your music name (full filename, without extension), and make sure "trackname" is in sound/cdtracks in the .pk3.
[Image: 230.png]

(11-03-2011, 09:16 AM)Mario Wrote: You need to add "cdtrack trackname" (without quotes) to the .mapinfo file. Replace "trackname" with your music name (full filename, without extension), and make sure "trackname" is in sound/cdtracks in the .pk3.

thank you Mario, I have done that without success but when I followed your directives I realised I had made a typo fault. now it's work fine.

Nice work on the performance issues, I realy dig this map.
It still has some bugs left (eg. most of the slime is now solid Tongue ), but that's easy to fix.
For some future plans of the fate of the map I have to ask you a question: did you use any non GPL or non GPL compatible media materials in the map?
EDIT: oh, I see you've picked up everything you could use. Ok, in that case, could you please gather up a list of those materials? Thx!

This map is an excellent concept, and I like the concept of slime/void on an inclosed map; however, this map has some areas that need some improvement, mainly:

1) When I first start the map, I get sound glitches and overlapping, and all those sprites are just ugly and distracting. It would be a great improvement if you could pull the source files out and use the actually model instead of spawning entities (maybe use a func_rotating? Can you do that with a model?).
2) Item placement. The first thing that stuck out to me was the 3 MGs within 2 meters of each other. I also don't think people should have to hunt for the Nex, I (personally) don't like maps that have to be memorized in order to be played well. Items of importance should be in prominent places, as a general rule. Also, grapple isn't used much in combat.

On the plus side, you have a brilliant idea and color scheme her, and visuals are just awesome. I particularly like the mimicked volumetric lighting above the strength and shiny blue ball. You're definitely improving! Keep up the good work!

Nice map.

I loved the details, and... well... everything about it.

Keep up the good work.

One question though,
Can I have your permission to convert this map for another game?
Don't just live life with work.
Find some time every day to have some fun. Wink

(12-06-2011, 10:50 AM)Chomps123 Wrote: Nice map.

I loved the details, and... well... everything about it.

Keep up the good work.

One question though,
Can I have your permission to convert this map for another game?

thank you all for your good comments.
Go for it or wait a bit I will soon release the sources.
(12-02-2011, 12:14 PM)nowego4 Wrote: 1) When I first start the map, I get sound glitches and overlapping, and all those sprites are just ugly and distracting. It would be a great improvement if you could pull the source files out and use the actually model instead of spawning entities (maybe use a func_rotating? Can you do that with a model?).

I will do it as cbrutail told me.

(12-02-2011, 12:14 PM)nowego4 Wrote: 2) Item placement. The first thing that stuck out to me was the 3 MGs within 2 meters of each other. I also don't think people should have to hunt for the Nex, I (personally) don't like maps that have to be memorized in order to be played well. Items of importance should be in prominent places, as a general rule. Also, grapple isn't used much in combat.
No way :-), its going to stay as it is.

(12-02-2011, 12:14 PM)nowego4 Wrote: On the plus side, you have a brilliant idea and color scheme her, and visuals are just awesome. I particularly like the mimicked volumetric lighting above the strength and shiny blue ball. You're definitely improving! Keep up the good work!

Thank you for this comment but must of the ideas are comming from old q3, unrealTournament2004 and dukenukem I played years ago. Texturing work eas just putting anything together :-)
(12-01-2011, 02:43 PM)C.Brutail Wrote: Nice work on the performance issues, I realy dig this map.
It still has some bugs left (eg. most of the slime is now solid Tongue ), but that's easy to fix.
For some future plans of the fate of the map I have to ask you a question: did you use any non GPL or non GPL compatible media materials in the map?
EDIT: oh, I see you've picked up everything you could use. Ok, in that case, could you please gather up a list of those materials? Thx!

Thx, yes, I digged in old maps to find out stuff and adapting it to fit in this map. You will have this list soon. I will fix the slime and I will use game models for the quads with a rotating function.

Sorry if I am late to answer, I was out of my home for about 4 weeks I dont think I will have much spare time in december.

New version beta04. stuff fixed, details added and FPS improved.
Source available :-)

Download link in the first post up here

for some strange reason I cant see it in map list, also gotomap doesnt work (I copied it to data)
i should have newest version

You forgot the include the bsp file in your pk3 package Smile

Added map to [mon] overkill's map pool

Sorry guys my mistake, I packed the wrong directory.
I fixed the download link above, get the map and have fun.

um link is broken.

dose it come with the .map file too?
Don't just live life with work.
Find some time every day to have some fun. Wink