Create an account

Poll: should the option for higher and lower polygon playermodels be implemented if possible
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
50.00%
2 50.00%
No
50.00%
2 50.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Adjustable model geometry

Xonotic should offer an option for ajustable playermodel geometry. These could range from 2000-3000 poly models for older gaming hardware to 10000+ poly models for newer hardware. This could make the game quite playable on older hardware as well as make the game prettier for those with nice computers.

Unless there are serious engine restrictions this could be easy to implement (besides getting the artwork) since Xonotic uses hitboxes instead of hitmeshes.

I think this would be worth implementing, please tell me what you guys think.

the problem with this is, changing the model mesh means the models need a completely new UVmap, and making one to match the curent texture would be a serious pain/next to impossible.

the real solution here is to just alter all of the player models to use less polies, as they use an excessively large number as it is. as I said, this would be really hard, but it would be easier to just do it and leave it, instead of trying to make it somehow "dynamic".
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

I think that by the time something like this actually got implemented, that virtually everyone will have a computer that can more than handle the current models. In other words, not worth the effort. Also, there is LOD in this game that you can mess with (cl_playerdetail reduction, give it a value higher than 0 to use it, I recommend 5 as you get a performance increase but you would have a hard time noticing the visual downgrade.).
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Plus, lowpoly model creation is an art, so I don't think adding polies to a lowpoly model or the other way round are trivial tasks.

(02-12-2012, 10:04 PM)s1lencer Wrote: I think this would be worth implementing, please tell me what you guys think.

I'd support low poly models. It would open the game to a much wider range of players with not the very best hardware/drivers (me on craptop). Also the game is so fast that you don't have the time to enjoy the model artwork details anyway. I would be tempted to use low poly models if they were available.

THEY ARE avaible. It's called "LOD" player models. 0.6 will have them.
LOD models basically serve two purpose:
They reduce the polycount on models that are far away from you yet still get rendered, essentially saving performance (why render high poly models in 1k miles away if they only drawn as one pixel).
Also, there'll be an introduced cvar "minimum FPS". When rendering speed won't reach that, the engine will automatically tune down models to the lower polycount, untill the minimum set FPS is reached.
There are all implemented and working now in git, and autobuilds.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

(02-13-2012, 12:15 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Plus, lowpoly model creation is an art, so I don't think adding polies to a lowpoly model or the other way round are trivial tasks.

Generally its easier to add then to remove, but neither are a fun process if its anything more substantial then a few edge loops more or less.

As C.Brutail pointed out we DO have lod models. I guess it must be implemented very well since it went unnoticed all this time (its been around in different forms since Nexuiz 2.something).

As for the OP: other then fixed steps (eg lod models) dp cant do this at all. Im not sure what model-format would support rigged subsurface's either. So for this to work you'd need to change dp a good deal, and if you have time and skills for this, hardware animations would be a far better idea.

(02-13-2012, 07:55 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: THEY ARE avaible. It's called "LOD" player models. 0.6 will have them.
LOD models basically serve two purpose:
They reduce the polycount on models that are far away from you yet still get rendered, essentially saving performance (why render high poly models in 1k miles away if they only drawn as one pixel).
Also, there'll be an introduced cvar "minimum FPS". When rendering speed won't reach that, the engine will automatically tune down models to the lower polycount, untill the minimum set FPS is reached.
There are all implemented and working now in git, and autobuilds.

That's great, low-end hardware was my main concern.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin [SUGGESTION] Mickey Mouse player model rudzik8 0 383 01-03-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: rudzik8
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon model ideas - Post here! Beagle 7 6,069 04-09-2016, 02:11 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Loading only one player model when forcing cccxd 1 2,778 08-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] Humanoid dragon model for Xonotic? darkhog 0 2,137 08-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Last Post: darkhog
  [SUGGESTION] Rocket Launcher model idea Beagle 5 6,056 05-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Ogger73
  [SUGGESTION] Player model descriptions removed nilyt 6 7,608 11-22-2014, 03:14 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  [SUGGESTION] Steampunk Laser Model Miguel 49 41,774 10-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Last Post: s1lence
  [SUGGESTION] Player model color preview RaptorFX 8 7,022 12-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Last Post: RaptorFX
  [SUGGESTION] Player model suggestion: Xonos Droid 13 14,969 04-12-2011, 05:22 AM
Last Post: Spaceman
  [SUGGESTION] Mapping/Player model contest Erusavion 7 6,627 04-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Last Post: velociostrich