Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] New movement type

We need to inject some fucking sanity into these threads!

(06-15-2012, 04:24 AM)freefang Wrote: On open ground the laser is way less effective if you haven't already build up speed than when you have a wall nearby. I though of it more of an alternative to the hook, which works wonders on my new map in terms of momentum, but also has the disadvantage that the player can literary grapple everywhere. But yea, I get your point.

Makes me wonder how much more efficient the laser gets on open ground if you crouch.

Seeing threads like this(and suggestions like freefang made) makes me think that people only want to change things because they either want Xonotic to play like a different game, or they just want to see their idea implemented.

Which is why we really need to discuss WHY we need to change before we discuss HOW to change it.

Maybe we need to add more to this topic and make it more of an FAQ to handle reasons why people make suggestions:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=8
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Well I can at least explain my rationale for my suggestion then. It was not as much a suggestion of "I want this in the game", but rather "Instead of altering the core gameplay or make another separate mod, there is the possibility of making something that could be used in the main game in places where it might be suitable". (For example, to make the "bad designed" wide open vehicle maps some seem to complain about viable without spamming health everywhere to make the laser viable for long distance travel. (And yes, I know it is better to fix a core problem than to patch it up, but I would still like to see the effect on gameplay.)

(06-15-2012, 03:46 PM)freefang Wrote: Well I can at least explain my rationale for my suggestion then. It was not as much a suggestion of "I want this in the game", but rather "Instead of altering the core gameplay or make another separate mod, there is the possibility of making something that could be used in the main game in places where it might be suitable". (For example, to make the "bad designed" wide open vehicle maps some seem to complain about viable without spamming health everywhere to make the laser viable for long distance travel. (And yes, I know it is better to fix a core problem than to patch it up, but I would still like to see the effect on gameplay.)

There are already existing tools that can be for this, it's just up to the server admin to implement them. The on-hand grappling hook has a charge meter to limit use. Removing laser damage is 1 cvar change, so any server admin could do that.

Also, changing the game to make up for a map's shortcoming is not a good solution.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Movement + sound related suggestions Smilecythe 13 9,870 12-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] New toys not new any more? BuddyFriendGuy 11 9,153 05-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
Information [SUGGESTION] Fix and update bot movement Dazerio 6 5,298 06-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Mepper
  [SUGGESTION] new movement possibility maiden 14 11,540 01-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Morphed
Star [SUGGESTION] New ammo type for hitscan weapons s1lence 18 19,465 10-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Top down "Alien Swarm" type coop Sarge999 11 10,852 09-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Last Post: TH3FTB0T
  [SUGGESTION] Movement tutorial ingame Justin 27 24,340 09-24-2012, 06:02 AM
Last Post: frostwyrm333
  [SUGGESTION] New ammo type: Gel Ammo Dokujisan 17 17,932 09-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Last Post: rainerzufalldererste
  [SUGGESTION] New Game Type: FoxHunt GT_Gene 8 9,043 09-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Last Post: accident
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] New game type: Hunting unfa 30 30,141 05-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Roanoke