Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] National Flags on new Xonotic page

Idea:

On new Xonotic's page, which is WiP, we place national flags. If user click one of them, he's redirected to community site of Xonotic in particular country.

So when someone discovers Xonotic, and national communities are available, he's directed straight to them.

Interesting idea, do you mean that each country gonna have it's own forum or something like that?

What community site? Just wondering.

Quote:What community site? Just wondering.

Like Swedish, Finnish, French, etc

Big e-sport games always have community sites in their languages.

Do we already have such communities? We can't just create them and expect them to populate on their own if there is no demand. Also, big e-sport games have big communities, we don't.

@MrBougo

You are not a type of guy, who could win American Idol, do you? Wink Afraid of anything, nothing can be done, etc.

If Xonotic wants to gain popularity, and I bet we all want it, it must get bigger and bigger playerbase. Assuming it does (yet very slowly) there will more ppl from one country meet here or on the servers, IRC, etc.

Eventually they will start to host some forums on their own, or similar things. Promoting them would be imo very beneficial.

I'm just trying to be realistic. And I think it's better to do things in a more logical order Tongue

I don't think we should push too hard on the community building before 1.0.

Quote:I don't think we should push too hard on the community building before 1.0.

Yeah, because day Xonotic 1.0 will be released, CNN, FOX, EuroNews, Russia Today and AlJazeera will talk about Xonotic all day long Wink

If some ppl created community website, promote it. If there are none, promote creating them! Add info on loading page, as one of the tips, etc.

I'm not saying now: add links to websites that doesn't exist yet - but if only one is created, put it on the front page Smile

(07-10-2012, 01:14 PM)Majki Wrote: @MrBougo

You are not a type of guy, who could win American Idol, do you? Wink Afraid of anything, nothing can be done, etc.

If Xonotic wants to gain popularity, and I bet we all want it, it must get bigger and bigger playerbase. Assuming it does (yet very slowly) there will more ppl from one country meet here or on the servers, IRC, etc.

Eventually they will start to host some forums on their own, or similar things. Promoting them would be imo very beneficial.

This is very much a chicken and egg situation, currently the chicken is laying small eggs.

the idea is bad.
btw coming up with the same idea/suggestion a second time doesnt make it any better/more realistic
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Quote:the idea is bad.

Could you elaborate it?

(07-10-2012, 02:26 PM)Majki Wrote: Could you elaborate it?

no. mr bougo already did it.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Quote:no. mr bougo already did it.

You are not the smartest one, are you? Smile

(07-10-2012, 03:07 PM)Majki Wrote: You are not the smartest one, are you? Smile

nope but im at least smart enough to contribute some useful stuff, and im trying to be realistic

Quote:nope but im at least smart enough to contribute some useful stuff, and im trying to be realistic

What is unrealistic in assumption, that Xonotic can gain popularity in the future?

(07-10-2012, 03:12 PM)Majki Wrote: What is unrealistic in assumption, that Xonotic can gain popularity in the future?

to build subcommunities you need many players and its utopian to think that xonotic will ever reach the popularity that this is possible

See, don't call me negative until you've met Cortez Tongue

I think it might be useful in the future, but subcommunities might harm Xonotic more than help it in the current state of things.

Quote:See, don't call me negative until you've met Cortez

Nah, Cortez is just another guy who downloaded Netradiant and started to believe, that he's new Carmack Wink

You might be surprised, but many non-english players don't speak it fluently. Have problems with understanding many things from (small) documentation you already have. That's why non-native-languaged websites come in handy.

Of course, most of the Internet users have no balls and they are lazy, but some of them not. Those guys can help you a lot when they start to do things with your game.

It's perfectly natural, that when we want to learn game more complicated than Farmville, we like to read it in our own language.

That's why promoting existing communities is important imo. You won't write server guide in Polish or movement tutorial in Russian Big Grin

Sure thing. Language communities have this great advantage. I was thinking about aussie or UK communities and the like, where people fluent in english get segregated. As long as the main community is not affected too much, I'm perfectly fine with separate communities!

EDIT: And that's different from the national communities you seem to mention in the OP.

Separate communities can do a lot of work for you. Promote game in country-specyfic channels, organize events, anything. It's Web 2.0 era we live in!

But I do not want to be separated. If I had a forum with only the Dutch members of this community there wouldn't even be 10 people :o

This community already is very small, but very friendly. Splitting it up now would only harm it. You can do such things with games like TF2, not with Xonotic.

And there are already some country specific irc channels, if you want to talk in your own language.

And this is at least the 5th time someone comes up with this idea Tongue

I have NOT proposed "creating" national communities by Xonotic developers, I came with idea of promoting such activity.

(07-10-2012, 05:23 PM)Majki Wrote: I have NOT proposed "creating" national communities by Xonotic developers, I came with idea of promoting such activity.
Well, that stuff isnt new.. Its been the same since nexuiz times. if you want to do it then do it. But it never went far because people are leaving and new are coming and at the end no one feels responsible for anything.
The are a national xonotic channels like #xonotic.de and #xonotic.se but thats all #xonotic.fr is empty as a result of inactivity again. Why dont you be a guiding example and start a polish irc channel for example?

(07-10-2012, 03:50 PM)Majki Wrote: Nah, Cortez is just another guy who downloaded Netradiant and started to believe, that he's new Carmack Wink

nope, all i want to say is that i contribute stuff to the game and to the community. While you are just talking about it!

Let's not hierarchize this community based on contributions. I don't contribute anything to the game but I still try to be useful to the community. I consider it's the same thing for any frequent poster in this forum.

Except me. I hate you all.

Edit: ah frequent!
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DISCUSSION] Xonotic and QuakeC: How painful could it be rewrite Xonotic in a new language? derrant 2 2,326 07-14-2020, 06:45 AM
Last Post: derrant
  [SUGGESTION] Web facing Pickup page/site end user 6 5,532 08-27-2017, 07:08 PM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] New toys not new any more? BuddyFriendGuy 11 9,153 05-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] new gamemode catf (collect all the flags) hutty 3 3,612 04-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Last Post: hutty
  [SUGGESTION] <a href="http://tinyurl.com/sydma" style="font-size: 4em;">Fix the front page NOW</a> divVerent 7 34,363 05-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Last Post: clanclanclan
  [SUGGESTION] make xonotic live page mitcoes 7 9,271 04-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Last Post: od@r