Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Xonotic (pre)history

This is made to deside on the way of respawning and so on is explained.

Lease post your suggestions/correctins on the subject.

Here is my version:
Some time ago a destuctive termo-nuclear war broke out between some planets/ space empires. That war took dozens of billions of lives away. When the bombs ran out, the opponents had to use divVerent means of killing each others, but soom found out they wee short on soldiers, as their hoards had been the primary targets during the bombings. Scintists (under some pressure) sugested using clones as gunmeat, but the clones that were made were nothing, but chunks of meat, unable to move at all, never mind shoot and bunny-hop.
Thats when the soul-transfer system was suggested. Using advanced technologies, the sole of a real person may be transfered from his body, into the body of a clone. When the clone died, the soul is transfered into another clone, and so on. After advansing the technologies, the transfer took only 0.00042 seconds to comlete, thus preventing loss of the soul. The clone production developed to a stage where a bug musculy grunt can be grown in as small as 2 weeks.
The goverments began reqrutment campaing, telling that it is a chance to help your country, that you dont risk loosing anything (although a soul CAN be lost, accidently as result of an error(thats why players disconect)), and that a chance for living for ever, and that you can resign any moment, and return to your body.
Of course thay trcked everybody, there was no way to return and the peoples bodeys were discarded.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

EDIT
Because the youtube tagging thing is screwed up, just open this link in a new tab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-wLmnVSPyE

I want you guys to watch and analyze EVERY DETAIL of this cut scene. This would be a VERY simple way to explain what is going on the arena when it comes to player "deaths" and weapon switching.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

So, Xonotic i just some sort of virtual arena?

(08-03-2012, 12:07 AM)aa Wrote: So, Xonotic i just some sort of virtual arena?

No, teleporting devices and medical advances prevent the fighters from getting killed. Teleporting devices also allow off-site weapon and ammo storage.

Oh wait.

What, Xonotic is NOT a virtual arena?!

* Halogene is confused
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(08-03-2012, 01:46 AM)Halogene Wrote: What, Xonotic is NOT a virtual arena?!

* Halogene is confused

We're talking backstory for the game if it wasn't immediately obvious, coming up with explanations as to why players keep coming back for more after they've been shot up, blown to bits, or used for painting the place red.

Oh wait.

Take a look at Sauerbraten's background story. You'll find lots of inspiration there:
http://sauerbraten.org/docs/game.html#it...d_gameplay

Nice, didn't know Xonotic had a backstory! Big Grin

It doesn't. Read the posts.

(08-03-2012, 03:38 AM)machine! Wrote: Nice, didn't know Xonotic had a backstory! Big Grin
Could you write a synopsis for a 'tard like me.

Ta.

* Spaceman is listening to Catch The Rainbow by Rainbow on Catch The Rainbow-Anthology (Disk 1) [Amarok]

I assumed the "Close to home" were official since it is on the Wiki.

Nah, it's only on the dev wiki. An official story would be somewhere ingame or in official documentation files. These two on the wiki are just propositions.

//OFF TOPIC

Quote:Spaceman is listening to Catch The Rainbow by Rainbow

Nice choice. RIP Dio... Heart

Interesting concept aa, I like it.

A player is blown to bits.
His body is teleported somewhere.
His body is healed.
He is teleported back.
His body dissapears.

But how do you explain the fact that you can still see your body after respawn?

Or you cant?

(08-03-2012, 06:25 AM)aa Wrote: A player is blown to bits.
His body is teleported somewhere.
His body is healed.
He is teleported back.
His body dissapears.

But how do you explain the fact that you can still see your body after respawn?

Or you cant?

Maybe the gibs and corpses could be set vanish upon a player respawning? In UC2, the blood, gibs, and corpses vanished quicker than you could press the trigger to respawn, and UC2 didn't have a wait time for respawns.

Oh wait.

No, I think it is very nice to see the bodies of the people you had killled lying in a big pile in front of you Big Grin

How about the story of Xonotic is that... it's just a video game where anything you want can happen?
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

really the backstory will get locked in place once someone creates an animation ... or implements it into the game ... Its kinda a first come - first serve basis right not (unless the story sucks)

@aa ... I really like your soul transport idea ... I may mix it in with my xonotic story http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2874 ... (although mine focuses on xonotic's current state ... not its history)

Maybee one day I will make my own game with the soul trans idea somday... in the very far future...

What iment by history.. hmm. is just.. hmm... EVERYTHING in the Xonotic game universe, from the Xoni corp to everything else....

(08-03-2012, 09:43 AM)PinkRobot Wrote: How about the story of Xonotic is that... it's just a video game where anything you want can happen?

I prefer the idea of a virtual arena, but this story seems to have been abandoned...
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

WOW , hutty it was you wo made that wonderful scenario!!!
I had red it long time ago, when i didnt know the people at all, so i didnt read the names back then.... Its very good... especialy the diagram... very understandable...

As long as it's in space and aliens, robots, and humans vs eachother I'm happy! Tongue

(08-03-2012, 10:10 AM)machine! Wrote: As long as it's in space and aliens, robots, and humans vs eachother I'm happy! Tongue
+1

Actualy, I agree with that phlilosophy Big Grin

Maybe just a little more blood Cool

(08-03-2012, 09:51 AM)hutty Wrote: really the backstory will get locked in place once someone creates an animation ... or implements it into the game ... Its kinda a first come - first serve basis right not (unless the story sucks)

No. The team won't accept anything by default. If you wish to code a single-player mode, discuss it with the team and the community first. You don't want all the time spent on it to go to waste because nobody likes your story.

I'd say picking a general context and sticking with it would be the way to go, before even thinking about a singleplayer mode. It's not just relevant to singleplayer, but also to maps and artistic direction altogether. The details of the story can then be worked out from the basic context if the need for a single player mode arises.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Easy-access FPS limiter and pre-tweaked motion blur Lee_Stricklin 9 12,206 09-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Last Post: divVerent
Bug [SUGGESTION] A Simple Pre-release? Fossiltalk 27 31,328 07-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Fossiltalk
  [SUGGESTION] Pre-determined Player models based on Map r0tt 8 9,048 04-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Sepelio