Create an account

Poll: What do you think about Overkill's Nex damage?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Decrease Nex's damage!
25.00%
3 25.00%
Increase Nex's damage!
0%
0 0%
Keep it as it is!
75.00%
9 75.00%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Overkill mod: Nex balance issues

Hey!

Who else feels Overkill is just Minsta with granades?
I think that the Nex is too powerfull - killing everyone with 1 shot makes it the minstanex. I think reducing it's damage a pinch would make the mod much more balanced and inspire varied gameplay.

Also: the "superweapons" seem to be toys in comparison to Nex. I really like the Heavy Machine Gun, but it's unlikely to use it much - beacuse the Nex guys kill me thrice faster.

Do you agree?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Overkill actually is evolved minsta.
As long as it has you spawn at your teammates, I'm not touching it.

Disclaimer: this is how it was when i last played / developed this mod.

OK Nex deals exactly 100 damage, with Overkill's health model it means you frag "most targets" with one shot. However if you have even one point of armour (every enemy drop a +5 on death) or health over 100 it will not "do the trick". Minstanex on the other hand deals enough damage to take out a 200/200 stacked player with shield Wink Its worth mentioning that the OK Shotty is FAR stronger than the nex at close-ish range.

WRT to the super weapons, i guess you just haven't use em much if thats your take Wink the HMG has enough DPS and rounds per mag to wipe out a entire enemy team w/o reloading, the RPC will gib any target/s it direct-hit w/o exploding the rocket and the slash alone is enough to kill at a fairly large distance of impact. These guns are VERY strong (even to the point where it was seriously considered at many times to remove them).

And no its NOT evolved minsta. Inspired by some of its gameplay aspects? hell yes, but its also as different from minsta as minsta is from vanilla at other points.

Thanks, tZork, that gives me some tactical clues (always try to get some armor).

Maybe the thing is 85% poeple go with Nex alone - this makes me think it's slightyl overpowered. Maybe firing rate could be slightly decreased? With less shots per minute, it'd be harder to make this an "all around gun", as many players tend to use it - because it works! And Shotgun/MG guys seem to be rarely able do defeat Nex users. I'm at least in that group.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(06-05-2014, 09:39 AM)unfa Wrote: Thanks, tZork, that gives me some tactical clues (always try to get some armor).

Maybe the thing is 85% poeple go with Nex alone - this makes me think it's slightyl overpowered. Maybe firing rate could be slightly decreased? With less shots per minute, it'd be harder to make this an "all around gun", as many players tend to use it - because it works! And Shotgun/MG guys seem to be rarely able do defeat Nex users. I'm at least in that group.

For some reason I like Overkill but I don't get the 3 weapons to me its just odd combo. I always wanted Overkill to be weapon/amo pick-ups for a lot more of "O shit I'm out of amo" moments. This is not weapon related but would be awesome to have the model animation that shows Borg like force field where the bullets hit. So as you get hit more and more it gets more opaque then. Would go good with the OK player models.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Most of the time on defense dunty, i tended to main shotty in OK. The stopping power is fenomenal in CQC.
Midrange the machinegun is great since it has low downtime and large mag
Ze rail is a strong range/flick/alpha weapon but with the least DPS of any OK weapon.

Now theres more to it than that tough.
Any teammate in OK is a potential spawn point if:
* No one spawned it it within a given
* You died close enough to it
* It has full health

Last point is very important to the sg/mg as it means if you just wing your close by enemies, they are invalidated as spawn points for some time. This is likely the largest up of using defensive MG spam.

On that, each gun can hit and in doing so cause distinct effects on the hand grenade:
* Shotgun makes if go boom at once
* Uzi makes it explode on any impact
* Nex launch it and makes it explode at impact

Hmm recalling how it works - it does sound interesting. may even have to play it sometime Tongue

This sounds interesting and fun to play - I didn't experience such stuff while playing online. It is written somewhere?

I guess maybe these elements are a bit dimniszed, because "the minsta spirit takes over" and it's too fast to use these things, but maybe not, I gotta try os sometime soon Smile

Should be some @ http://overkill.xonotic.info/ tough im not sure if we ever got around to adding a "full manual" there.

Yes, I didn't know that, and most players don't as well about all the "hidden" features.
These should be made known, then the OK will become less minstaish.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(06-09-2014, 06:40 AM)aa Wrote: Yes, I didn't know that, and most players don't as well about all the "hidden" features.
These should be made known, then the OK will become less minstaish.

I agree. I saw some strange projectiles that must have been nex-launched granades, but I didn't know all this stuff.

Okay, thanks for the heads up on that. Ill poke the maintainer and see if we can come up with some viable "education system".

That'd be cool, tZork.

Also: I've played today some and it seems like Machinegun some times is more effective, especially when fighting a "strafe duel" in the middle of the game.
MG if aimed well can kill an enemy before he gets a second chance if he missed you with Nex.

Yeh, much of the idea behind OK's balance is to give all the (normal) weapons very similar TTK but different "best use" range/situation. Similarly the shotty will tear up anything at close(ish) range. Sometimes even two frags per blast, if they are clumped up enough Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weapon Balance Changes [PROPOSE/DISCUSS/REFINE] _para 2 1,808 03-19-2021, 10:43 AM
Last Post: _para
  [SUGGESTION] DodgeBall Mod [video] gruuvin 5 4,446 04-02-2019, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Snowball
Heart [SUGGESTION] Mod API for Xonotic intenscia 21 13,429 12-11-2017, 10:52 PM
Last Post: intenscia
  [SUGGESTION] Casual vanilla balance martin-t 59 37,556 09-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Beemann
  [SUGGESTION] Ping Mod Ch4mp 1 2,648 03-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Two issues I want some thoughts on Smilecythe 5 6,525 09-26-2016, 06:04 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon Balance and Presentation 2016 hutty 28 19,662 07-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Last Post: aa
  [SUGGESTION] Yet another physics and balance revamp Lee_Stricklin 3 3,813 04-28-2016, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Make instagib/overkill = official asyyy 49 36,805 07-31-2015, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Drauts
  [SUGGESTION] "Xonotic-for-Kids" Mod silvers 46 41,319 07-13-2015, 08:14 PM
Last Post: acerspyro