Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Mouse limited to reduced area at higher resolutions / DPI

Hi,

I have run into a problem with Xonotic on my new laptop which has a 3k screen (~210 dpi at 2880 x 1620, 15.6").

When I set the resolution to anything above 1600x900 I can no longer move the mouse outside a limited/bounded region to the top left of the screen such that I cannot even get to the "Apply" button in the Settings menu to revert the resolution (have to Alt-Tab out, force quit, and change resolution in config file).

The bounded region that the mouse cannot move beyond gets smaller at higher resolutions. Therefore it seems like the mouse region can never extend beyond some limited area of pixels measured from the top left (1600x900?).

I hope this is understandable. Please let me know if you have any ideas to resolve this or if further info would help.

Thanks,

Ix

P.S. I should have clarified that this is with the latest release version 0.8 on Windows 8.1.

P.P.S. GitLab issue now opened for this problem here: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/darkplaces/issues/32

(OT EDIT: Oh, apparently this is my first post here. I have been lurking around for a while. Been keeping an eye on Xonotic for maybe the last year or so and really like it (good to see so much focus/refinement on the basic gameplay/feel before adding new features, though can't wait for more content tbh). Thanks to all the contributors!)

Hi. This should be reported as a bug on the engine's bug tracker. Sign up and create an issue https://gitlab.com/xonotic/darkplaces

Please post in this thread and give us the URL so that other users can track the issue. If anyone else reading this encountered that bug, please let us know.

(03-11-2015, 02:28 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Hi. This should be reported as a bug on the engine's bug tracker. Sign up and create an issue https://gitlab.com/xonotic/darkplaces

Please post in this thread and give us the URL so that other users can track the issue. If anyone else reading this encountered that bug, please let us know.

Rightio, I've oppened a new issue for it here:
https://gitlab.com/xonotic/darkplaces/issues/32

Bit sad to hear that it's a real bug and not just me being stupid. Undecided

Seems like there's an impressively small number of open issues there though!

Thanks.

Thanks for reporting! I pinged divVerent about it and see what he has to say about it.

In the mean time, you can use windowed mode I guess. Please let us know if you have any workaround with fullscreen mode. If you get stuck again by chance, you can open the ingame console by pressing shift-escape (or possibly that one key above tab on the left), where you can change the resolution cvars (same syntax as in configuration files), type vid_restart to restart the window, or type quit to quit cleanly, among many other things.

And don't worry, there are a lot more issues in the other Xonotic trackers Wink

(03-12-2015, 04:12 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Thanks for reporting! I pinged divVerent about it and see what he has to say about it.

In the mean time, you can use windowed mode I guess. Please let us know if you have any workaround with fullscreen mode. If you get stuck again by chance, you can open the ingame console by pressing shift-escape (or possibly that one key above tab on the left), where you can change the resolution cvars (same syntax as in configuration files), type vid_restart to restart the window, or type quit to quit cleanly, among many other things.

And don't worry, there are a lot more issues in the other Xonotic trackers Wink

Fixed! Windowed mode was the clue I needed thanks. Things were even worse there with the window being far too large and offset to the top left (so could only access the lower right corner). Even at lower resolutions the window was much larger than it should have been which led me to the idea of -> scaling.

So obviously, the fix is as follows:

Right click on xonotic.exe -> Properties -> Compatability tab -> Tick the box which says "Disable display scaling at high DPI settings".

All good now. Cool

P.S. I'm pretty sure Xonotic can avoid this issue by telling Windows not to apply scaling to it. I've mentioned this on the bug tracker.

Ah, excellent! That's good to know. Thanks for reporting your workaround, I feel it's going to help others until that bug is fixed Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [BUG] Dropping mouse input FPS Null 1 558 04-29-2023, 08:06 AM
Last Post: bones_was_here
  [NEED HELP] My mouse binds do not work in GLX? FAF 5 1,581 07-29-2022, 08:39 AM
Last Post: FAF
  USB Mouse input on Linux dagelf 1 2,269 10-07-2020, 06:14 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SOLVED] Random failures to register mouse input Halogene 2 2,684 06-15-2017, 01:04 PM
Last Post: Halogene
  [NEEDS INFO] Menu mouse cursor stuck in invisible box nAnXiety 1 3,126 09-16-2016, 03:30 PM
Last Post: martin-t
  [NEEDS INFO] mouse lag mumin 3 3,462 03-17-2016, 05:29 AM
Last Post: Maddin
  [NEED HELP] GUI Mouse Problem with GLX Slackhead 2 3,879 08-31-2014, 04:22 AM
Last Post: Slackhead
  [NEED HELP] Mouse warping deoxys 0 2,699 12-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Last Post: deoxys
  [NEEDS INFO] cant download map, black map area jaybates86 5 6,886 10-08-2013, 06:09 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  [NEEDS INFO] Mouse Accel issue Bolwind 17 16,703 10-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo