Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gave the Unreal Tournament pre-alpha a spin, here's my breakdown

Movement: An odd mix of UT99 and Unreal Championship 2. Wall jumping, wall sliding, dodging, floor sliding, and no double jumping. All the dodging can be assigned to a special key so that you don't have to do double taps and accidentally fall off maps.

Weapons: Somewhere between Unreal Championship 1 and Unreal Tournament 99. Ripper absent, Eightball given back it's grenade functionality but still only fires up to three projectiles at once, assault rifle absent in place of Enforcer again. Sniper rifle was given an interesting touch that draws circles around players' heads for easier tracking. Damage-wise, everything will kill you as quickly as they did in UT99 and UT3, though behavior wise some (Flak Cannon in particular) are closer to that of Unreal Championship 1.

Aesthetics (placeholder content aside): A mix between the realistic look of Unreal/Return to NaPali and UT99 with the streamlining of Unreal Championship 2 on environments and characters, weapon designs evolved from Unreal Championship 1. Hardly any blood or gore present and virtually no clutter.

Sound: Most current sounds are from UT99 and UT3, especially the awards announcer (UT99) and weapon sounds (UT3), though the only music track in the game was influenced most heavily by UT2k4 and a little bit of UT2k3. The music composers for UT99 have announced they are going to return for this game, so the soundtrack will likely be similar to that of the first two Unreal games and Deus Ex.

Interface: Menu layout is virtually identical to that of Unreal Gold and UT99, just given a modern look. Heads up display is clean just like that of Quake Live and Xonotic's default.

Conclusion so far: If it continues in the direction it's going, then we will FINALLY have a proper successor to UT99, though I'd still like to see the ripper brought back in as the game still feels like it's lacking with it gone.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Gave it a spin too, but it didn't give me a spin in return (Screen freezes after 2-3 seconds I load up any map). I've had this same problem on every build I've tested so far. Weird part is that sometimes it doesn't freeze and I'm able to play normally, haven't had much patience waiting for one of those times in the newest build. Some other day then perhaps.

edit: From what I've seen, I think visually it already makes Toxikk pale in comparison (not that I really really care) and I'm happy to see some criticism from UT3 taken to consideration in their design. I also prefer the slow UT99/UT3 movement, so it might just be my thing as long as it would just run reliably.

(03-26-2015, 11:43 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: Gave it a spin too, but it didn't give me a spin in return (Screen freezes after 2-3 seconds I load up any map). I've had this same problem on every build I've tested so far. Weird part is that sometimes it doesn't freeze and I'm able to play normally, haven't had much patience waiting for one of those times in the newest build. Some other day then perhaps.

edit: From what I've seen, I think visually it already makes Toxikk pale in comparison (not that I really really care) and I'm happy to see some criticism from UT3 taken to consideration in their design. I also prefer the slow UT99/UT3 movement, so it might just be my thing as long as it would just run reliably.

Toxikk is mostly a spiritual successor to UT2k4 and everything it got right while the new Unreal Tournament is primarily intended to be a successor to the original game. Starting with Unreal Championship 1 (In my opinion the only game that tried to properly succeed UT99 even though it was XBox exclusive and commonly mistaken for a UT2k3 port. The ENTIRE campaign except for one fight is team-based.), the series emphasized teamwork more extensively and had far bigger maps. UT99 while known for being A LOT better for team games than Quake III Arena, was still built as a deathmatch game from the ground up, received the standard modes from the get go (DM, CTF, TDM), and then later received your more innovative ones (Domination, Assault, Rocket Arena) later into it's development cycle due to Epic not being able to release the game when they initially wanted.

Unreal Championship 2 was the oddball as it tried to bring back the individual skill part by giving it a fighting game feel by making it far more frantic, bringing in character skills/bonuses (not to be confused with progression. This determined adrenaline combos, your pistols, and your melee weapon) similar to UC1/UT2k3, ditching races for classes (light/fast/weak, medium/moderate/normal, heavy/slow/tough), making you choose your explosive (grenade launcher, eightball, flak cannon, ripper) and energy (shock rifle, biorifle, tyridium stinger, sniper rifle) based weapons, and adding a deep melee mechanic to the game (complete with blocks, parries, and good old fashioned stick breaking a skull). UC2 also introduced a crazy acrobatic system complete with wall to wall jumps for scaling arenas. Raiden as a playable character and Shao Kahn as an optional announcer was also a nice touch. The only team based games were CTF and TDM, the rest were all individual skill based.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vore Tournament (game forked from Nexuiz) MirceaKitsune 140 241,900 10-25-2019, 07:19 AM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
  Hi guys, this is me winning the xonotic pro elite super turbo tournament 2019 ***** SUPER FALLITO ***** 5 4,557 08-26-2019, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Antibody
  Well you guys held a tournament Antares* 15 11,638 09-29-2016, 05:55 PM
Last Post: kaadmy
  New DOOM multiplayer Alpha kojn^ 51 39,175 04-16-2016, 06:07 AM
Last Post: dekrY
  Mario Kart Unreal Engine 4 Beagle 0 3,540 02-17-2016, 03:53 AM
Last Post: Beagle
  Star Wars: Battlecry (Unreal Engine 4) rocknroll237 128 182,152 05-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Last Post: rocknroll237
  The Electronic Gaming Federation - Alpha Sign ups! Rangoons 0 9,374 06-25-2014, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Rangoons
  New Unreal Tournament frostwyrm333 33 43,415 05-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Last Post: asyyy
  Anybody here played TuxRacer before? satuim 20 16,430 10-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Cyber Killer
  Terraria players here? neXus 5 6,014 01-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Hero