Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from FreeBSDguy (newbie)

Well I got Xonotic server up and running on a dedicated FreeBSD server, and got the game client running on a Ubuntu machine. Now going to install it on a FreeBSD GNOME3 desktop. Thats right folks, no Windows machines in this house, and all of my family are perfectly fine with that.

Hoping to get into this game a bit. I also run same environment for another FPS game calles RedEclipse. I don't want to start a discussion about which game is better, but I am curious to learn what are some of the significant difference between the two. Oh, and if there are any other fellow FreeBSD users on here, please let me know, and I would interested in hearing about what you run for a video card.

If I think I get good enough, you just might see me participating in some of the online servers.

Cheers,
FreeBSDguy

Hello and welcome
[Image: 38443.png]

I like variety! Nice to have some FreeBSD here as well. Welcome to Xonotic and enjoy your stay. You might be interested to have a look at the Newbie Corner.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(11-19-2016, 01:01 PM)FreeBSDGuy Wrote: I don't want to start a discussion about which game is better, but I am curious to learn what are some of the significant difference between the two.
  • Vanilla Xonotic has a more traditional arena shooter orientation and is more like a survival/resource control game, whereas Red Eclipse is more linear up-your-face gunning action.
  • 1v1/Duel is a more commonly played mode in Xonotic than in Red Eclipse. We even have competitive tournaments with occasional moneypool for that.
  • I'd argue that Red Eclipse has a more team-play focused community.
  • Xonotic has a simpler movement system in principle, but has a variety of advanced techniques that adds to a higher skill ceiling.
  • Notable differences in movement is that in Xonotic your speed can accelerate. Skilled players can accelerate and maneuver faster with advanced technique.
  • You can carry all weapons in Xonotic, iirc only 2-3 in Red Eclipse.
  • Red Eclipse has a built in and easier to use map editor, tools for Xonotic are lacking/iffy in comparison.

Thanks everyone. I haven't gamed in years but am hoping to have some fun every once in a while.

Welcome!
[Image: 9214.png]

Hmm Haven't used FBSD since 2003 when I used it to run bunch of websites from my cable connection at home. Also miss Slackware Tongue
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Hi FreeBSDGuy.

No Windows in this house either, only Slackware, and I'm really happy with it.

Oh, and no graphics card on my PC, I'm using my integrated Intel HD4600 Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  just another newbie doesn't know what the h i'm doin..... earwax 5 4,443 05-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Last Post: bitbomb
  Hello, hello. (Hello) AlDeezy 5 4,199 06-12-2012, 02:12 AM
Last Post: .Danny.
Information My Newbie Introduction Schicko 20 14,838 02-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Thumbs Up yet another newbie SodaCant 8 6,317 12-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Last Post: [CCC]KINGSHOT[CCC]
  Looking forward to xonotic release meanwhile newbie Nexuiz problem satipera 5 5,993 09-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m
  Hello hello!. (hola :D) bdvd 5 5,702 08-12-2010, 05:55 AM
Last Post: tux9656