Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I wrote a review for GameSpot

I wrote a glowing review on GameSpot of Xonotic. It seems to be the only review, though. I want more people to play this wonderful game.
lonk

Nicely written review, I read it all. I'm glad you like the game and thanks for spreading the word.

Thank you for that nice review! Appreciated!
[Image: 249.png] Latest track on soundcloud: For You (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out my Newbie Corner!
<ZeRoQL> i think i got 1 proper quad and that cunt halogen fuck me over with a laser

Awesome, nice review!

Nice review! Thank you so much for writing it!

(05-10-2017, 12:53 PM)LDDestroier Wrote: "Some are more mundane -- the blaster's alt-fire is just to switch to the last used weapon, and the shotgun's alt is a good thwack -- but they are undeniably useful, and add a great deal of depth to the weapons. "[url=https://www.gamespot.com/xonotic/user-reviews/2200-12727491/][/url]

There's been a lot of talk about this and I agree. I've been trying to propose moving the thwack feature to blaster secondary. Proposing is not enough though, because somebody who can and who is interested enough needs to put some of their time into it Big Grin

There's also apparently some server side issue with how shotgun works (a spike on netgraph every time someone fires the shotgun). So there's been some experiments with a shockwave type of weapon that works differently, but could possibly replace shotgun's role.

Basically, weapon balance is not all quite complete yet and I hope we will eventually see a more compact weapon arsenal in Xonotic.
[Image: 2170.png]

<HAL_9000> i think if you just feed a child for 10 years
<HAL_9000> and isolate it from the world
<HAL_9000> jsut growing in a dark room
<HAL_9000> that would not be a human
<Smilecythe> that would be a cpma player

(05-18-2017, 06:15 PM)Smilecythe Wrote:
(05-10-2017, 12:53 PM)LDDestroier Wrote: "Some are more mundane -- the blaster's alt-fire is just to switch to the last used weapon, and the shotgun's alt is a good thwack -- but they are undeniably useful, and add a great deal of depth to the weapons. "[url=https://www.gamespot.com/xonotic/user-reviews/2200-12727491/][/url]

There's been a lot of talk about this and I agree. I've been trying to propose moving the thwack feature to blaster secondary. Proposing is not enough though, because somebody who can and who is interested enough needs to put some of their time into it Big Grin

There's also apparently some server side issue with how shotgun works (a spike on netgraph every time someone fires the shotgun). So there's been some experiments with a shockwave type of weapon that works differently, but could possibly replace shotgun's role.

Basically, weapon balance is not all quite complete yet and I hope we will eventually see a more compact weapon arsenal in Xonotic.

I've actually made a branch where blaster secondary can be a slap depending on a server cvar. However the problem then is shotgun secondary. I thought about a charging feature like hagar secondary, but that might be quite hard to balance out.
The reason for the spike on the netgraph is that the shotgun pattern is random. Every bullet that is fired has to be networked by itself, so there is quite a bit of traffic with every shotgun shot. That also affects the charging feature making it a real "network killer".
A solution to this problem would be to use a fixed pattern (also in that branch) where the networking could be optimized (I've not done this as I first wanted to know if the fixed pattern is actually preferred). However, in my opinion, the shockwave is the better concept.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I wrote a review Caesar 4 2,231 05-08-2015, 05:40 PM
Last Post: SPLAT
  Xonotic Review Bolwind 14 6,589 04-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Mepper
  Funny and interesting Xonotic review (German) asyyy 9 4,185 03-12-2012, 01:35 AM
Last Post: Halogene