Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NEED HELP] Editing Sounds, getting to work in-game?

Hey guys! I'm a soundtrack composer and sound engineer. I'm sort of hoping to use this game as practice and a testing ground for sound design when I get bored... I'd like to eventually have this game completely re-scored and create all new sound effects from the ground up.

But I'm having a bit of trouble getting started, and after a lot of searching I really haven't been able to find a good answer...

(I'm on mac, by the way)
So I can get as far as opening/extracting the .pk3 files, finding all the audio locations I need and replacing the sounds. That's about where my progress ends. I've tried compressing the data folder back to a .pk3 file (which is really the only answer I've been able to find) and nothing seems to work, the game only opens up to a screen telling me that the .pk3 file that I edited is missing.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated! I assume there's some kind of code I have to change, or extra program I have to use when editing these .pk3 folders? I even looked through the rest of the game's files, one of the text documents mentioned an "extras" folder with all the extra programs you need for editing... and that folder doesn't seem to exist.

I'd really like to get this working so I can really dig into re-designing all the sound and music. I'm definitely gonna share the progress with the community as I go along (even though I'm sure this game doesn't have a massive playerbase, but still... it's all for fun and practice).

Thanks!

.pk3 files are just renamed zip files.

But you do not have to replace the sound files inside the pk3 file. Instead you can overwrite it by placing the sound file inside your userdir ($HOME/.xonotic/)
That means a file inside the pk3 file, e.g.
Xonotic/data/xonotic-data.pk3/sound/ctf/bluecapture.ogg
can be overwritten by
~/.xonotic/data/sound/ctf/bluecapture.ogg

This also works by placing pk3 files inside your userdir, as long the paths within the pk3 match.

(05-07-2018, 06:20 AM)It\sMe Wrote: .pk3 files are just renamed zip files.

But you do not have to replace the sound files inside the pk3 file. Instead you can overwrite it by placing the sound file inside your userdir ($HOME/.xonotic/)
That means a file inside the pk3 file, e.g.
Xonotic/data/xonotic-data.pk3/sound/ctf/bluecapture.ogg
can be overwritten by
~/.xonotic/data/sound/ctf/bluecapture.ogg

This also works by placing pk3 files inside your userdir, as long the paths within the pk3 match.

Got it working! Just extracting the "sound" folder to the "data" folder overwrites the sounds. Awesome, now all my changes are in-game. Thanks, man!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music How can I replace the announcer sounds with the ones I want? tempest 1 311 02-07-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
  My sounds from other games xord86_64 1 608 01-19-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: xord86_64
  Some sounds that I took from finished games. Kotangens 8 5,358 11-10-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Kotangens
Lightbulb Gauntlet gun sounds Kotangens 1 1,949 07-16-2020, 05:00 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
Music New sounds in next version (0.8.3) Wuzzy 2 3,795 10-09-2019, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Aguaumreal
  Custom sounds Tommy 4 4,444 09-13-2019, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Antibody
Music Menu sounds unfa 18 18,493 08-22-2014, 07:11 AM
Last Post: unfa
Music Some game sounds I made unfa 0 3,101 11-04-2013, 06:41 AM
Last Post: unfa
Star Original laser weapon sounds. unfa 7 8,494 05-08-2013, 05:11 PM