Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] i am going to create a deb package for xonotic linux

so i have decided to create deb packages for xonotic just because i don't want people to download the whole linux and windows
so i decided to separate the packages to be extracted in certain directories
here is the list: Note any path here is changeable
/usr/share/xonotic for the game itself
/usr/bin/xonotic to launch it in terminal
/usr/share/applications/xonotic.desktop for the desktop file
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/symbolic/apps/xonotic.svg for the icons

and if i need to create a deb package i need details

can i have the maintainer name as my name or your given name
and what are the dependencies of xonotic linux 
do you want the netinstaller(requires modifying the website because as i said you that i hate people download everything)
or do you want the offline installer or you want both 
if you want the netinstaller you have to modify the website as following:

trim every windows and osx libs and executables and upload the file in the name of
xonotic-linux.(the format you like to send the package like .zip) and send me the link

if do you want me to create make sure to tell a yes or no and answer the questions

Maybe, good idea, but I think separation of win and linux versions is not too heavy. Maybe 10-20 Mbs, because DLLs and executables. Also, there is at least one repository package already exists, and maybe this is enough. And, one of the problems - there are exists another types of distributions, like RedHat, Arch, Gentoo, etc, for which is also needed to create packages like this. For arch and gentoo can be built separated version of xonotic from git, and its buildfiles can be posted in distros repositories, and its users doesn't want to build windows version (which won't be built). For debian-based and rpm-based distros also can be created builder without windows version. But current release made to be universal for every player downloading this game.

Sounds like spam.

(01-19-2021, 12:05 AM)AriosJentu Wrote: Maybe, good idea, but I think separation of win and linux versions is not too heavy. Maybe 10-20 Mbs, because DLLs and executables. Also, there is at least one repository package already exists, and maybe this is enough. And, one of the problems - there are exists another types of distributions, like RedHat, Arch, Gentoo, etc, for which is also needed to create packages like this. For arch and gentoo can be built separated version of xonotic from git, and its buildfiles can be posted in distros repositories, and its users doesn't want to build windows version (which won't be built). For debian-based and rpm-based distros also can be created builder without windows version. But current release made to be universal for every player downloading this game.

yes it is universal that is the problem but some people dosen't even have better wifi to download even 500 mb so that is why i decided to seperate
the packages

(01-22-2021, 01:00 AM)clerickx Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 12:05 AM)AriosJentu Wrote: Maybe, good idea, but I think separation of win and linux versions is not too heavy. Maybe 10-20 Mbs, because DLLs and executables. Also, there is at least one repository package already exists, and maybe this is enough. And, one of the problems - there are exists another types of distributions, like RedHat, Arch, Gentoo, etc, for which is also needed to create packages like this. For arch and gentoo can be built separated version of xonotic from git, and its buildfiles can be posted in distros repositories, and its users doesn't want to build windows version (which won't be built). For debian-based and rpm-based distros also can be created builder without windows version. But current release made to be universal for every player downloading this game.

yes it is universal that is the problem but some people dosen't even have better wifi to download even 500 mb so that is why i decided to seperate
the packages

You mean 10-15 mb, not 500. It combined perfectly, there is no another version of game duplicate inside.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Script for setting Linux dedicated server atomic.kidd 3 3,145 10-05-2019, 10:02 AM
Last Post: atomic.kidd
  [SUGGESTION] A game package should contain all needed components kanatov 2 4,321 03-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Last Post: kanatov
  [SUGGESTION] Alt+tab on Linux Exitium 13 11,512 09-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Maddin
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Linux - make dependacies obvious - libcurl thumper 10 11,196 05-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Last Post: hutty
  [SUGGESTION] some little useful features (for the "create" tab) _para 0 1,956 12-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Last Post: _para
  [SUGGESTION] package netradiant whit xonotic O.I.B. 15 14,205 04-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Last Post: esteel