Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[SUGGESTION] Frags per death

Lightbulb 
Ok, so this game type would be a cross between DM and LMS. The higher the ratio of Frags to Deaths, the more points you get. This would discourage people from going off into hiding (the anti-camp feature in LMS is easily enough avoided) and also make people more aware of their health (people in DM don't really need to worry about how many times they're getting fragged, as long as they don't keep getting fragged by the same person).

The end effect of this is that people would play like they would on a 1 on 1 DM (that is to say, your chances of winning go directly down if you die, whereas on crowded DM the chance of you losing is divided by the number of other players), resulting in a more realistic type of warfare.

So this is how it works:

Frags divided by deaths equals score.
If I'm thinking correctly, an average score would be zero, because the better one person does the worse another does.

Going off and hiding would get you a 0/0 score, which equals 0 (actually my calculator printed 'error', cause you can't divide something by zero, but we'll say it's zero; I have a reason for doing so). Jumping in and fragging 11 times and getting fragged 11 times would get you a 11/11 score which equals 1. Therefore getting one kill and getting killed once is better than hiding, motivating people to at least try.

Possible Problems:

Sniping (although, it you want a realistic game type, that is realistic. snipers live longer while doing as much, if not more, damage. The reason the whole army is not snipers is cause they take a lot to train. I see this game type played best on maps like evilspace or aggressor. Maps where you can grab a nex or rifle and then get somewhere inaccessible are bad for this purpose.

I will add more later if I think of it.

This would be more of a gametype mutator instead of a gametype itself. I like the idea though.

The only problem is, as you said, dividing by zero. What if, for example, someone gets 10 frags and 0 deaths? What would happen then?
Mapper.

(08-31-2010, 08:17 PM)Moo Wrote: The only problem is, as you said, dividing by zero. What if, for example, someone gets 10 frags and 0 deaths? What would happen then?

I guess we would have to say anything divided by zero is itself (negative if you got fragged but didn't frag), only for this mutator (duh, I'm not gonna change math). Tongue

I'm confident there is a way to catch and handle/prevent a division by zero problem Tongue

All in all, a good idea and would be nice to have this on the scoreboard for any game mode.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

It is already available on the scoreboard.
To see scoreboard column options:
Code:
scoreboard_columns_help

(08-31-2010, 10:49 PM)Roanoke Wrote: I'm confident there is a way to catch and handle/prevent a division by zero problem Tongue

All in all, a good idea and would be nice to have this on the scoreboard for any game mode.

Code:
if (deaths == 0)
    score = frags;
else
    score = frags/deaths;
no problem Tongue

But yeah as Dib said, already exists. Should be enabled by default IMO.
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

(08-31-2010, 10:49 PM)Roanoke Wrote: I'm confident there is a way to catch and handle/prevent a division by zero problem Tongue

Do not frags/deaths, but (frags + 1) / (deaths + 1).
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

(08-31-2010, 08:17 PM)Moo Wrote: The only problem is, as you said, dividing by zero. What if, for example, someone gets 10 frags and 0 deaths? What would happen then?

Oh no! you divided by zero!!!! Now we'll all die! Angel

Code:
// c++ Code
// console output

int frags;
int deaths;
if ( frags == 0 )
{
cout << "fragged " + deaths + " times!" << endl;
}
else if ( deaths == 0 )
{
cout << "Frags per Deaths = " + frags << endl;
}
else
{
cout << "Frags per Deaths = " + frags / deaths << endl;
}
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

I like the idea as having 20 deaths and having 30 frags in dm isn't such a win as having 5 deaths and 30 frags.

(08-31-2010, 11:30 PM)DiaboliK Wrote: It is already available on the scoreboard.
To see scoreboard column options:
Code:
scoreboard_columns_help

What do you mean? How to use it?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

right, only Chuck Norris can handle such pervert thing.

I think that the proposed idea derserves a bit of attention.
Massive DM games are basically a race since the only significative criterion is frags/min.
So it makes the game always brutal and, imo, annoying.
Counting with kill/death (or kill-death) would enrich the game.
The end of each game would be based on the timelimit.
Fat.bot.Slim

@unfa: Type that in console to see what columns you can add to the scoreboard.

Maybe... Multiply the frags number by 2 !

Problem is, if we don't make it a separate game type then it won't change how people play. I mean at the end of the game, somebody will go "Look i got the best frags/deaths" but nobody will care about trying to achieve that, because it doesn't win the game for them. Undecided

Frags/min is really a good idea because we can know how good (or bad) serial killer we are.

(09-03-2010, 11:41 AM)nowego4 Wrote: Problem is, if we don't make it a separate game type then it won't change how people play. I mean at the end of the game, somebody will go "Look i got the best frags/deaths" but nobody will care about trying to achieve that, because it doesn't win the game for them. Undecided
You're obviously right.
I feel it gonna be hard to create a new gamemode...
Fat.bot.Slim

(09-01-2010, 05:15 PM)Calinou Wrote: Maybe... Multiply the frags number by 2 !

lol rofl xD!!! Big Grin

let me guess...
0*2 = 0
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Did it seriously not occur to anybody to just divide frags by SPAWNS rather than deaths? Every player starts with one, thus no divide by zero problem, and players with a perfect game would appropriately be scored better than players with one death. I have no idea if this is how the kill/death ratio already available in the scoreboard works, the commands to customize it are not worth the effort to figure out. Smile

@Contrarian: you don't seriously think that there is a real problem with the zero division thing, right?
Fat.bot.Slim

I was just surprised that nowego4, FruitieX, and rainerzufalldererste all similarly suggested these odd if/else models which would score exactly the same at 1 death and 0 deaths.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] x Frags Left should come before other announcements gd 0 1,376 06-21-2023, 11:27 AM
Last Post: gd
  [SUGGESTION] ragdoll death animation request Droid 28 33,208 02-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Nahuel
  [SUGGESTION] per-weapon/vehicle camera toggling Lee_Stricklin 5 6,135 09-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Last Post: kammy
Photo [SUGGESTION] Replay of frags @ end rainerzufalldererste 15 13,781 04-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Last Post: Silverburn
  [SUGGESTION] 1st person, BOOOM DEATH SHOT 3rd person, SPAWN 1st person kay 29 31,583 04-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Roanoke
  [SUGGESTION] Feign Death .Kt 7 7,403 04-09-2010, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Contrarian
Photo [SUGGESTION] Effects of Death rainerzufalldererste 14 15,938 03-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Last Post: kuniu the frogg