Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Singleplayer story: Priorities

Okay, so we've got tons of ideas floating around the forums and several people willing to help out. The problem is that not much has been organised in terms of developmental objectives and priorities, so no-one really knows what to do and when to start. So here's what I think should be our tasks in this early stage of development:

Gameplay style - As I see it, there are two options for two categories (plot and gameplay): Unilinear (i.e. the story mode you see on most FPSs) or multilinear for plot, and mission (assault style) or arena (DM/TDM etc.) for gameplay. It's important to get this sorted earlier on, because it has a direct effect on story/coding. My preference is unilinear missions, since it's easier to write code and a coherent story than multilinear stories. Also, bot matches loosely held together with a plot is just plain boring.

A story outline - A fixed story is probably the most important thing to sort out at this stage. It doesn't have to be developed to the smallest detail; we just need a story that isn't going to change. The general consensus on my thread (read the later pages) was that the Tech Conglomerate story was the best way to go. However, this is still open for discussion.

So, tell me what you think about these two points!
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

(09-12-2010, 05:46 AM)ThePWTULN Wrote: Okay, so we've got tons of ideas floating around the forums and several people willing to help out.

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=958

Dodgy

(09-12-2010, 08:10 AM)Mirio Wrote:
(09-12-2010, 05:46 AM)ThePWTULN Wrote: Okay, so we've got tons of ideas floating around the forums and several people willing to help out.

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=958

Dodgy

I can't tell what you're trying to say from a single emoticon Undecided

You're talking about "tons of ideas floating around the forums" but you open yet another topic about the SP :/

Agreed XD. I think he really needs to check out the other forums first -_^. If you think that is the best way to go, then post it up on the new thread.

Everyone wants his own thread Tongue
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(09-12-2010, 10:41 AM)Mirio Wrote: You're talking about "tons of ideas floating around the forums" but you open yet another topic about the SP :/

This thread is different. It's about actual developmental structure as opposed to yet another story concept thread. The last thing we need at this stage is more ideas. I intend this thread to be about actually deciding on something to work on, otherwise we'll just continue in this rather messy structure, where the ideas just keep piling up (from the most enthusiastic of the group) and nothing really happens.

(09-12-2010, 11:16 AM)MANERS Wrote: Agreed XD. I think he really needs to check out the other forums first -_^. If you think that is the best way to go, then post it up on the new thread.

As I've said before, I disagree with having an entirely new website for singleplayer development. It just makes the team isolated from the rest of community.

So, unilinear/multilinear, mission/arena - which is it going to be? This is the most fundamental aspect of the game. We NEED this so work on coding can actually begin.

This is a no-brainer, as you also have agreed upon, the unilinear is the way to go. No arena or DM and such going on, it's really boring for a story mode and should be kept strictly multiplayer or as the current single player is (offline multiplayer).
So my vote is on that.

Oh and it kinda has begun Long Name, in the thread Mirio posted. People are actually starting to work on a story. Maners have started to work on a story and posted a very brief and rough outline (again in the thread Mirio linked to). It's very early and it's now that people should decide, point out flaws and come up with ideas for the story. It's being built right now, so if people won't pitch in with ideas now it will be too late and we can't be blamed for that. It's on these forums as well so the community can participate if they want to. BUT a separate forum has been created for single player story mode purposes.

I'll send you a PM about what the developers thoughts on this is and why the separate forum has been created. It will all be explained in it.
[Image: duck.gif]
ai am ai.

Fix the avatar size limit please! I want my avatar gifs back! DISCRIMINATION!
Also, change my name to 'ai', these forums sucks which can't have 2 letters in the nick!

Before you start collecting ideas, start collect people which can do stuff like animating or coding , you can sort out things, which wont work due lack of person.
For example cutscene, wont be a good idea with just one animator.

Taking one step at a time is crucial. It's not too good of an idea getting people which won't have anything to do for a long time, such as modelers and animators unless they really stick around (like me, I'm not going anywhere). If we get too many animators etc. right now, they may bet bored not having anything to do and then sometime in the future when we need them they are no where to be found.
Having a story worked out and some ground to show to people it may be easier to get people interested in the project and join up. But you're right, we do need some kind of team established, I'm not quite sure what type though. Not sure how long it will take to create a story people will accept.
ai am ai.

Also, change my name to 'ai', these forums sucks which can't have 2 letters in the nick!

What i meant is, before you come up with ideas be sure there are people, who are able to realize it. maybe you got me wrong.

(09-12-2010, 12:19 PM)Seijiro Wrote: People are actually starting to work on a story. Maners have started to work on a story and posted a very brief and rough outline (again in the thread Mirio linked to).

Yes, but Roanoke and others have been developing the Tech Conglomerate story for months (maybe even longer - I wasn't active on the Nexuiz forums). I don't see why we're starting to develop another story from scratch, when we already have a pretty good story to begin with.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to make people aware of what needs to be done rather than what is being done.

Well, I'm not a writer so I can't really do much but give opinions and vote on which story is the best. If people want the Tech Conglomerate (haven't read any story but basic outline on the dev site) then coolio, I would go for that. Like, if there already is one then no need to invent a new one right?
Who needs to see that story are the writers and expand on it.

EDIT: I have informed the people who are doing new stories to go with this one then and discuss it wherever is best suitable. Which seems to be Long Names thread.
ai am ai.

(09-12-2010, 12:55 PM)Seijiro Wrote: Taking one step at a time is crucial. It's not too good of an idea getting people which won't have anything to do for a long time, such as modelers and animators unless they really stick around (like me, I'm not going anywhere). If we get too many animators etc. right now, they may bet bored not having anything to do and then sometime in the future when we need them they are no where to be found.
Having a story worked out and some ground to show to people it may be easier to get people interested in the project and join up. But you're right, we do need some kind of team established, I'm not quite sure what type though. Not sure how long it will take to create a story people will accept.

Well said. Thanks for backing me up on this; these are my thoughts exactly, just so much better worded XD.

It would also be a good idea to note we WANT to work on the xonotic.org forums, but unless we get a dedicated category, it's pointless and silly. Until we do get one, we will stick to our group forum.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xonotic Singleplayer - Level 1 beaten in 0:35 Gouldron 0 1,547 05-10-2020, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Gouldron
  BBC Series Accused Ep2 "Mo's Story" GreenMeanie 5 7,296 08-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Last Post: neXus
  Single Player/Story Mode - Ideas, News, Critique.. Mirio 33 38,749 08-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Last Post: emilydale1993
  Singleplayer - what do you think? ThePWTULN 17 16,136 11-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Last Post: nowego4
  Nexuiz/Xonotic Photo Story The mysterious Mr. 4m 11 12,080 10-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  Is anyone really working on singleplayer? MANERS 37 35,596 09-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Cortez666