Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Xonotic crashes upon joining server

I played Xonotic once, but ever since then I haven't been able to join any servers. It gets stuck on loading progs/beam.mdl, crashes my AMD drivers, and ultimately the game as well. I've reinstalled (clean) the drivers and Xonotic but it didn't work.

Any ideas?

Hard to help you without more informations about your computer (OS, GPU model, RAM, etc.).

My first guess is your machine isn't powerful enough to run the game with the selected settings. Locate the file config.cfg in your xonotic/data user directory, delete it or rename it, and run the game again. This time, in menu>settings>effect press low and apply. Try to load a map or a party, and only then enable more effects to improve the graphics.

try to set lowest settings in the Xonotic menu.

(03-10-2012, 12:08 PM)Ronan Wrote: Hard to help you without more informations about your computer (OS, GPU model, RAM, etc.).

My first guess is your machine isn't powerful enough to run the game with the selected settings. Locate the file config.cfg in your xonotic/data user directory, delete it or rename it, and run the game again. This time, in menu>settings>effect press low and apply. Try to load a map or a party, and only then enable more effects to improve the graphics.

Windows7 64bit.
i7 940 @ 2.93ghz
12gig ram
SLI radeon 6800s

Pretty sure I'm good on the Xonotic front. I'll try the suggestion but I've fully deleted the directory and reinstalled before.

Try running Xonotic/misc/tools/the-big-benchmark/the-big-benchmark.bat and see what happens. It will run through all 7 different quality presets and benchmark. If at some point there is a problem with a certain quality setting then you would always see a crash when it gets to that setting. Here are some instructions for the benchmark:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2562
If you could then post the output log file from that if there is any crash it may help diagnose any problem. As of right now no-one has reported back running Xonotic on a Radeon HD6800 so it may be you are the first to find an issue.

As you are running Radeon (and I'm afraid right now Crossfire won't do anything for you as the Radeon driver does not have a profile set up for Xonotic) you can expect more problems that on an NVIDIA card. It is an unfortunate thing that AMD's driver is more prone to issues than NVIDIA's for OpenGL. It may however be a simple thing like disabling OpenGL 2.0 shaders in the game. Please report back if you find anything as it may help someone else with similar hardware.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

(03-10-2012, 12:20 PM)edh Wrote: Try running Xonotic/misc/tools/the-big-benchmark/the-big-benchmark.bat and see what happens. It will run through all 7 different quality presets and benchmark. If at some point there is a problem with a certain quality setting then you would always see a crash when it gets to that setting. Here are some instructions for the benchmark:
If you could then post the output log file from that if there is any crash it may help diagnose any problem. As of right now no-one has reported back running Xonotic on a Radeon HD6800 so it may be you are the first to find an issue.

As you are running Radeon (and I'm afraid right now Crossfire won't do anything for you as the Radeon driver does not have a profile set up for Xonotic) you can expect more problems that on an NVIDIA card. It is an unfortunate thing that AMD's driver is more prone to issues than NVIDIA's for OpenGL. It may however be a simple thing like disabling OpenGL 2.0 shaders in the game. Please report back if you find anything as it may help someone else with similar hardware.

Thanks very much. Will do soon.
Tried it.

Literally cannot run any of the tests. My drivers crash before I can even load up the game, period.

Although, in the dos prompt it's saying "Cannot find file specified."

*head scratch*
(03-10-2012, 12:31 PM)wormed Wrote:
(03-10-2012, 12:20 PM)edh Wrote: Try running Xonotic/misc/tools/the-big-benchmark/the-big-benchmark.bat and see what happens. It will run through all 7 different quality presets and benchmark. If at some point there is a problem with a certain quality setting then you would always see a crash when it gets to that setting. Here are some instructions for the benchmark:

Thanks very much. Will do soon.
Tried it.

Literally cannot run any of the tests. My drivers crash before I can even load up the game, period.

Although, in the dos prompt it's saying "Cannot find file specified."

*head scratch*

Also, I *DID* run Xonotic fine the other day. Ever since those first series of games, I haven't been able to run it.

No idea.

OK, perhaps you could look at Xonotic/data/the-big-benchmark.log? Upload that and maybe there are some obvious errors in it.

I would guess that if Xonotic ran OK once but now does not run at all that there is something else wrong here. Have you changed any software or configuration on your computer recently?

Sorry for the monster post here.

Fixed at the moment. Made sure to delete the saved data this time, as well as changed directories to a more "root"-friendly folder. This occurred last time where I had no problems loading up initially, but then after my settings were saved and certain things were modified, I ran into driver crashes.

Keep ya updated.

Cheers.
(03-10-2012, 01:29 PM)wormed Wrote: Sorry for the monster post here.

Fixed at the moment. Made sure to delete the saved data this time, as well as changed directories to a more "root"-friendly folder. This occurred last time where I had no problems loading up initially, but then after my settings were saved and certain things were modified, I ran into driver crashes.

Keep ya updated.

Cheers.

aaand back to crashing. Weird. I can always load in the first time, but something prevents me from closing Xonotic, and then returning. I could even join games initially, but some setting that is being saved in that initial joining is screwing me up once I closed Xonotic and reopen.

EDIT: It clearly has to do with the files being created in the Saved Data portion. I can delete that, return to Xonotic and get back into games. The moment that directory/data is created, the next time I join, my game crashes.

@edh: Nope. When it first started crashing, the only thing I did was fresh install the latest drivers and the same thing is occurring, so nothing huge on my side changes wise.

Interesting. Is it just config.cfg that you have to delete? Have you got any other log files there at all? We really need some error message or something so can you please try running Xonotic from the command line and looking at the output that is printed to the console.

(03-10-2012, 03:07 PM)edh Wrote: Interesting. Is it just config.cfg that you have to delete? Have you got any other log files there at all? We really need some error message or something so can you please try running Xonotic from the command line and looking at the output that is printed to the console.

sdl client seems to be working. I'm gonna try to get some of the information to the guys on IRC regarding the previous bugs.

Thanks for your help man.

The SDL (Simple Directmedia Layer) executable is in general faster and more reliable in terms of sound and input that the WGL/GLX version so it is best to run this normally.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Setup Dedicated Server to DL from Map Server mrhip 1 452 10-16-2023, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Freddy
  [NEED HELP] Menu Won't Load, Game Crashes EdwardHamHam 1 2,928 07-21-2022, 01:44 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [NEED HELP] Xonotic crashes on KDE Magotrap 3 1,558 05-03-2022, 01:08 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
  [SOLVED] Mapping: Move permeable wall upon trigger stingray300k 5 1,847 05-26-2021, 10:19 AM
Last Post: stingray300k
  [NEED HELP] NetRadiant crashes on Build - Mac (10.12.6) Space Ace 0 1,632 04-24-2019, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Space Ace
  [SOLVED] Game displays [x] joined the [y] team upon connecting Bloodthorn 1 2,665 09-16-2018, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Bloodthorn
  [NEED HELP] Server Not Showing Up on Server Browser Antares* 5 4,267 05-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Last Post: martin-t
  [NEEDS INFO] Game crashes while loading - could not load texture "overkillbullet" |OSiRiS| 5 5,377 10-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SOLVED] Crash Upon Starting Second Level After Quitting First ehrenbrav 2 3,662 06-10-2015, 09:41 AM
Last Post: ehrenbrav
  [SOLVED] where are my downloaded map when joining a server? zwz 6 8,222 07-14-2014, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo