Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will you donate $$$ for new monsters?

Ok so far we got 310 EU after currency conversion. Should have the rest of the money for all 5 monsters by mid Dec just waiting for one more donation from a players in Dec.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Should I send the 30€?

About the concept art: wouldn't a common theme that also fits to the existing Sci-fi art of Xonotic be a much better idea?

(11-27-2014, 09:23 AM)poVoq Wrote: Should I send the 30€?

About the concept art: wouldn't a common theme that also fits to the existing Sci-fi art of Xonotic be a much better idea?

Lol that's actually a good point Tongue I guess the mech spider will be one. Got $330 EU now, so 3 monsters for sure atm and Jeff from Resurrection will be sending the rest of the funds for the 4th monster.

Thanks to all who donated soi far.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

I think it would be better to keep the monsters completely unique, rather than generic and fitting with any existing theme. This adds to the fun and surprise of seeing them on maps.

Besides, they would have to be aliens or generic green crates to fit in with Xonotic's theme...
[Image: 230.png]

Fair point, but at least they should fit to each other no?

I also think that something robotic or alien would fit better into Xonotic, than high fantasy magicians and dragons.

It depends on which you would rather see... a generic alien flying monster or a fire breathing dragon coming after you?

On the other side though, if we do get a singleplayer campaign, we would want monsters that fit with the singleplayer map designs, that look like they belong in the environment.
If we do go with these unique monsters, we might not have such a great base for singleplayer.

With that in mind, I will ask Morphed to postpone the modelling until we have a firm idea of what everyone wants.
A new thread will be started after the 0.8 release to plan singleplayer, and with that we will get the new monsters organized.
Until then, DeadDred will hold onto the monster donations until everything is sorted out.

Having different styles of monsters gives allows maps with different styles to still have monsters in them, choosing those which most fit the map.

Besides, any biological creature can be seen as some kind of alien, a wyvern for instance look much more alien than the Gak.

That is also a good point.
With such a limited number of monsters, we wouldn't want them all to look exactly the same. Without variety, things can get dull (same goes for the rest of the game...)

The wyvern will remain the same as the planned concept, but the other monsters I will leave for now, as this does seem controversial.

Robotic-alien-dragon reminds me of Ridley/Meta Ridley. Tongue

[Image: RidleyMetaRidley.jpg]

Ok so far were at 410 EU just 30EU shy of 4 monsters Smile TY for those that donated.

We will keep using the initial concepts, as they are awesome and no other real concepts have shown up (plus, 4 monsters isn't enough for a full singleplayer theme).

Ok so we reached 440 EU for 4 monsters

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-09-2014, 04:53 AM)end user Wrote: Ok so we reached 440 EU for 4 monsters

First monster done Wyvern and paid for.

A free sample, more to come ....

[Image: xonotic20150101092643-00.jpg]

(12-31-2014, 05:39 PM)end user Wrote:
(12-09-2014, 04:53 AM)end user Wrote: Ok so we reached 440 EU for 4 monsters

First monster done Wyvern and paid for.

A free sample, more to come ....

[Image: xonotic20150101092643-00.jpg]

Now THAT is pretty damn cool. It would be pretty kick ass to see these in Monster Hunt and Invasion style games.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Adjusted image for brightness

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Just posting a little update to keep the thread alive:

The dragon (wyvern) model is complete, but will not be included in 0.8 (I would rather release them at the very least with improved code to work with the new model, if not as a full set when all monsters are done).
They should make an appearance in the next release though.

Next model in the list: Mage! Morphed has started work on it, will give another update once news on its completion is available.

Despite being extremely busy at work (something about a new game coming out), Morphed has come a fair way with the mage model:

[Image: Y1pML3K.jpg]

Rather than release the monsters one by one, we will try to get them all ready and bring them in as a single update, which will include code updates to make the monsters fit their new awesome models.

I transfered the funds for the monsters to Mario as I'm heading off xonotic but seem there's a ten day wait to the transfer from pay pal.

Progress on a mage model, I just finished texture Smile
[Image: oXsKlPNm.jpg]
[Image: xUkkGrOm.jpg]

Really nice work, looking forward to seeing it in-game!

Wow, that looks great Morphed!

Looks great! May I ask if this model will be possible to use as a player model as well?

If the plan to make an infection game-mode with infected players becoming monsters, yes, but otherwise it'll probably remain only as a monster.

Looking forward for the ingame versions! Smile
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

More huge delays on this, mostly due to an upcoming release...
Morphed has finished the Mage, and will begin work on the next monster once payment is sorted.

Spoilers:

[Image: xonotic20150802234519-00_small.jpg]