Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
Ask your questions about Xonotic here

Hi i'm using xonotic behind proxy. I don't know if xonotic support http proxy and if is supported how can I config. thanx.

Idea how big would the zip download(s) of Xonotic be if it was split into 3 downloads for mac, PC and linux?

Only a small part (size wise) of the zip is platform dependend. Music, textures, models and other assets as well as the game logic are OS independend. I'd guess that the size reduction would be less than 40MB.

So, I've read all of the newbie guides, tried Google, but I haven't seen exactly what the rules are governing air control ever posted anywhere on the internet.  What exactly determines what the hell happens when you turn or try to move in the air?  There's several jumps I can't figure out how to make consistently -- mega to vortex on Hub, and vortex to the staircase directly underneath it on Xoylent both come to mind; sometimes I can turn back enough, and other times I just "stall out" for no reason.  What decides exactly whether you can control yourself in the air or not?

Also, the amount of height I get on a blaster jump seems entirely random; sometimes, when going from mega to vortex on Hub, I'll get about a player's worth of height over it, sometimes I'll barely make it, and most of the time I don't get even near enough height.  There's not that much variation in my timing between the jump and the blaster fire; what gives?

>How does air control actually work?

Poorly. It was severely nerfed in 0.8 to make sure vortex would be the uncontested king on any map at any range.

With that out of the way, there are a few different concepts:

Aircontrol is how fast you can turn when in the air. You can see the change here vs 0.7. It seems sv_aircontrol itself controls how fast you turn when holding forward and turning the mouse, OTOH sv_airstrafeaccelerate seems to control how fast you turn while holding only left/right and turning. If you try to turn too fast you lose some speed.

Airacceleration is how fast you accelerate in the air, duh. Again - multiple cvars controlling it. The important thing is that you accelerate faster if you hold forward+left/right and turn in that direction slowly instead of just forward. It makes a huge difference when making long jumps. Note that the max speed you can gain this way is currently 900.

As for blaster - it depends how fast you're moving. If you're fast you get a stronger push. The cvar is g_balance_damagepush_speedfactor but i don't fully understand how it works.

I recommend playing with all the cvars to see how they work (their descriptions also might help). There are probably people who could explain this a lot better, maybe some of them will show up.
[Image: 30381.jpg]

<packer> when i see martin-t's name my blood pressure increases

<[BOT]Hоtdоg> anyone here lives near martin?
<[BOT]Hоtdоg> will pay monies for shooting him

Things would be simpler to explain in older days when there was only one isotropic movement behavior, but now there are at least three and it changes according to which movement keys you're pressing.

First of all, there's two different kinds of air control, one that is controlled by sv_aircontrol and I don't know how to explain this one. All I can tell that this behavior only applies to forward direction. If you hold forward and move your mouse you simply steer forward. It didn't exist in Quake until CPMA (Challenge Promode Arena) mode.

Another kind of air control has been in Quake always and it's a combination of sv_maxairspeed and sv_airaccelerate. For the latter, think of maxspeed as the target speed and accelerate as a cycle. If you increase the max speed value, air acceleration increases as a result as well. There's two configurations of this that bring you closer to either Quake 3 type movement or Quake 1 type air control.

In Quake 3 you want slow gradual acceleration, but a high max speed. This gives you weak air control, but high rate of acceleration in straight paths.
  • sv_airaccelerate 1
  • sv_maxairspeed 320
In Quake 1 you want insane acceleration, but very low max speed. This gives you strong air control mobility, but gaining speed in straight line is in turn much harder.
  • sv_airaccelerate 106.66666666666666666666
  • sv_maxairspeed 30

Lastly, here's a video where I play around with the variables a little bit:

Hope that explains anything!

The mastery of the skills in the video is inspiring.

Hi, I'm planning on setting up my own dedicated server from my computer because the servers where I live are VERY limited and are all incredibly similar in rule set, I was wondering how?

Was wondering how to make a private InstaGib / CTFInstaGib server to play with friends?
or if there was a guide to make one?

Afaik there is no option set a password/whitelist for your server.

So your best bet is to set "sv_public" to "0".
sv_public 0 prevents your server from showing up in the server list, but allows people who know the exact IP Address (and port).

A basic dedicated server setup guide can be found here: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/-/wik...figuration
To enable Instagib you need to set "g_instagib" to "1"
[Image: 30412.jpg]

Hello Friends
My system is GNU/Linux.  I am currently playing from my USB flash drive.  (I downloaded the zip (?) file and extracted it to my flash drive because I prefer to play it from my flash drive).

However, the settings, achievements, etc. seem to be saved in /home/user/.xonotic

Is there any way I can make the game save this directory (/home/user/.xonotic) in my flash drive? For example, in my:

/media/flashdrive/myfiles/games/xonotic-0.8.2

so that I can plug the flash drive in another computer and I would be able to continue where I left off (because the .xonotic folder is also in my flash drive.

Is that possible?

Thank you very much.

Hey,

there are different options the game provides:

- You use -nohome, then the game does not use a seperate directory for user data. Make sure you do a backup of your config and key  when running misc/tools/rsync-updater/update-to-release.{sh,bat}
- You use -userdir /path/to/some/directory which tells the game to use another directory for user data (another than ~/.xonotic/)

Depending how you start the game you can e.g. use

- ./xonotic-linux-sdl.sh -nohome or
- ./xonotic-linux-sdl.sh -userdir ../xonotic-data

Using the path your provided:
- ./xonotic-linux-sdl.sh -userdir /media/flashdrive/myfiles/games/xonotic-data

Using -usedir is the preferred method to keep game and user files seperate.

Thank you very much! Problem solved!

When I play the Instagib DM mode on the exe.pub FFA server I see a transparent colorful bar centered horizontally and vertically that seems to indicate my strafe / velocity / whatever. This is distracting and useless to me, esp. in a mode as simplistic as instagib DM. Any way to turn this overlay off? I don't see this element in the HUD editor.
exe.pub DM FFA is the only server so far I've seen this on.
My client is a recent autobuild for Linux x64 (xonotic-v0.8.2-3676-gef9366a).

Thanks in advance.
[Image: badge]

Enter the console with "shift + esc" and type the following command: hud_panel_physics 0

You can set it to other values as well, if you press tab after you typed the command, you can see other values and what they do as well.
[Image: 8848.png]

(05-14-2020, 12:38 PM)RazorDodger Wrote: Enter the console with "shift + esc" and type the following command: hud_panel_physics 0

You can set it to other values as well, if you press tab after you typed the command, you can see other values and what they do as well.

Hi Dodger,

unfortunately not. hud_panel_physics adjusts the visibility of the HUD element on the upper left side:

[Image: iLSL.png]

This is the overlay however which I get extra on the exe.pub server, this centered weird bar. In the lower screenshot, hud_panel_physics is 0. I need the name of this weird panel.

[Image: iLS9.png]

I have never seen this panel before to be honest. I Thought since you said that it had something to do with showing strafing/velocity it might have been the physics panel, but that's clearly not the case. Also, you mentioned that you only get this weird bar on the exe.pub server? If so, it might be a cvar/setting that the server has on by default.
[Image: 8848.png]

(05-16-2020, 09:42 AM)RazorDodger Wrote: I have never seen this panel before to be honest. I Thought since you said that it had something to do with showing strafing/velocity it might have been the physics panel, but that's clearly not the case. Also, you mentioned that you only get this weird bar on the exe.pub server? If so, it might be a cvar/setting that the server has on by default.

yepp - seems to be a cvar/setting that the server has on by default.

@R+e^i
maybe you ask exe server admin to disable ...

GreetZ Su

Hi,
The command to disable strafe helpers is:
Code:
hud_panel_strafehud 0

I indeed need to disabled it by default on instagib servers, will do it bit later.

(05-16-2020, 11:37 AM)morosophos Wrote: Hi,
The command to disable strafe helpers is:
Code:
hud_panel_strafehud 0

I indeed need to disabled it by default on instagib servers, will do it bit later.

That's it! Many thanks.

Best.

Just so it's clear, I am playing the 64-bit Windows version.

I downloaded some maps from a few defrag servers, and managed to figure out how to play on them. Many of them even work, and I can play on them with bots when my internet does not work (see: "Most of the time")

Some of these downloaded maps do not work. There is an invisible wall near the beginning of the level, and I am unable to pass it. Further testing has revealed that this is only a problem in some Race and Race CTS maps, and only when I play them, not not when I join a server which happens to be playing on these maps. I can fire a grappling hook through the wall, but I will still be unable to pass it.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Reject humanity--
Embrace Monke.

These are maps from Q3 and have a clip there to prevent cheating in Q3.

g_playerclip_collisions 1 to turn clips off. I recommend to only use this for CTS maps.

(09-01-2020, 02:56 PM)Mirio Wrote: These are maps from Q3 and have a clip there to prevent cheating in Q3.

g_playerclip_collisions 1 to turn clips off. I recommend to only use this for CTS maps.

Thanks!

E: I tried it, and it doesn't work.
Reject humanity--
Embrace Monke.

You have to set the cvar before loading the map or restarting the map.

Ups you gotta turn g_playerclip_collisions 0 of course

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Your Favorite Maps cushinga 6 1,632 03-14-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
Rainbow What's your favorite color? Or which color you use in game? Kotangens 1 1,180 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  FPS Showdown - Go submit your best frags! Smilecythe 4 4,397 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  Why is your server empth 24/7 slowtwitch 10 8,004 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: end user
Information We want your help Samual 35 34,831 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Leroy
  Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? unfa 147 153,121 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Wii-Wii
  WoX-BloX needs your help! CuBe0wL 14 11,474 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Here's my fair share Scorpion 8 8,131 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Last Post: PGP_Qz
  Pythonistas, please raise your hand Dokujisan 13 10,688 10-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Spyroviper
  ITT: post your WASD teams 9 10,672 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin