Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[SUGGESTION] Idea for Hagar

Lightbulb 
The Hagar is and always was a kinda useless weapon, so I thought about a way to fix this. I said my idea already in IRC some days ago and some people liked it so I will share it here.

I thought about a "disarm" function (something similar to the Shotgun secondary) that you can slap an enemy and you get his weapon that hes using at the moment. I don't know if this should make damage, if so only a little.

Cheers Wink

i don't knwo how good the idea is but it is not related to the hagar so it wouldnt make sense to replace the hagar with that disarm-weapon. maybe it's better for laser secondary.

I always wanted to see both of these 2 functions with the hanger.

1) Either giving them a slight homing ability, making a it a very powerful spamming weapon. Maybe you must have to lock onto you target as making it slightly harder to get this function

2) Rockets become 'smart'. Instead of being a 'mini rapid fire bazooka' Rockets are shot and maintain a distance of 3m from the user, creating a thin rocket shield. When fire button is released a swam are mini rockets a shot forward. Smile
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

That would make it too powerful. Kinda.

I'd say that the first one is cool.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Never thought the hagar was unbalanced, well maybe the balanceFruit one, though the spread on it was intended to make it more useful against airborne players. I find that the hagar is best used when you lead the opponent and blast the floor near them or pin them against a wall. You can also use the secondary to cause panic around a corner or clear a room out.

i agree, that it should be more powerful... some ideas:
1) Charging and in the right moment having a "shotgun"-like Hagar! [secondary]
2) Special ammunition! ...or the ability to "buy" it for rockets (20 rockets -> fire ammunition)
3) have a no-damage-secondary which can be used like a jet-pack (aiming down)
4) make it a high-speed-RL! (less damage)
5) secondary like RL but bouncing and not that fast!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

i have more frags with Hagar seondary than with primary, mostly because opposing players don't dodge what comes from behind them. (Which they should. Apparently.)

With such a disarm feature, my bind "Give me that!" would make more sense and i could use it more often.
4m038105 - Be the change.

hagar isn't stupid, only underestimated, his secondary fire is a great spamming option, plus can be used for little jumps in duels and avoids to get too much high and be an easy target

Hagar is way underrated. You have to creatively lead the target to get the most out of it.
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

I also thaught about making the primary Hagar fire a bit homing to players. The secondary seems a bit more usefull than the primary. As it gives you much more chance of direct hit. I think that Hagar is a powerfull gun. but it can't be used from too much distance (too slow projectiles) and requires a lot of skill with it, which I don't have Smile

We don't have any homing missles in the game already, so making Hagar's primary homing a bit would be a cool twist to the game.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

It seems to me that the Hagar is one of those 'un-discovered' weapons. Those who haven't caught onto it don't use it to its full advantage, and think it useless. Those who have, like it.

Me, I like it a lot. One of my favorite weapons actually. Though that may be because I haven't faced any real challenges that might exploit weaknesses I don't see in it.

A slight homing feature on it would be cool, though.
Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

(11-24-2010, 07:32 AM)unfa Wrote: I also thaught about making the primary Hagar fire a bit homing to players.

This would be the TAG Seeker, no? Wink

(11-25-2010, 08:00 AM)Mirio Wrote:
(11-24-2010, 07:32 AM)unfa Wrote: I also thaught about making the primary Hagar fire a bit homing to players.

This would be the TAG Seeker, no? Wink
No. A bit != a lot. Tag seeker is useless... if it's removed, then, make the hagar a bit homing. Wink

After testing it out in an arena match, I fell in love with the Tag Seeker. Pure awesomeness. High speed strategy with lots of effects. Smile
Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Yeah, I like TAG seeker too. And: no, Hagar would be totally different gun from TAG if it was homing A BIT.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

How can something homing only "a bit" ? Tongue
TAG Seeker > Hagar ! Smile

They wouldn't lock on and track: they would slide more in the direction of the enemy instead of scattering so much. Make sense?

I dont think semi auto-aim/track is a good idea for this type of game, specially not for a weapon with high rate of fire. the tag solves it by requiring the user to hit a difficult shot first, rocket launcher by inhibiting refire/weaponswitch for as long as you guide it. Without something like this a guided weapon would wreck hell on balance methinks.

I see what you mean. I think you are right.

I am having a hard time explaining my idea though... it really isn't like tracking or guided missiles at all. I might be wrong about that though.

Look at it this way:

If you fire the Hagar, assume you get a four foot spread (for example's sake). If there is an enemy in the left side of those four square feet, the rockets in the right side swerve slightly towards him. That way the spread is only about one by two square feet.

The spread merely narrows to the target, it doesn't follow the target, if that makes any sense.

Hagar isn't as bad as I thought actually, it's really pretty a very balanced (strong) weapon then compared to nexuiz in it's use.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Methinks I will do some deathmatch tests with Hagar as it currently is to see what I think after extended use.

(11-26-2010, 10:28 AM)tZork Wrote: I dont think semi auto-aim/track is a good idea for this type of game, specially not for a weapon with high rate of fire. the tag solves it by requiring the user to hit a difficult shot first, rocket launcher by inhibiting refire/weaponswitch for as long as you guide it.

It wouldn't be imbalanced if the missiles only tracked targets within 10 meters or so. Then you have to lead them near to your enemy before they start course correcting.

It's a mechanic that's worked in numerous other games. Also with such a feature, the Hagar wouldn't necessarily need such a high fire rate, so you could turn in down.
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

A possible suggestion for Hagar improvement:

Turn the secondary mode into a frag grenade. Meaning it explodes into shards that have a wide destruction radius. It would be risky to use, because you might hurt yourself if you aren't careful. Balanced.

It would detonate like the old version of the secondary mode on the Mortar (goes out and then explodes at a specified range).

Logistically, it would work similarly to what the secondary on Hagar has now: good for around corners, but dangerous to use in the same room as you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Is adding a Quake-like laser to the main game a good idea? cushinga 2 1,122 03-28-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  [SUGGESTION] Hagar Idea VertX 4 4,289 01-02-2016, 07:02 AM
Last Post: [*Mr.Chri$*]
  [SUGGESTION] Rocket Launcher model idea Beagle 5 6,122 05-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Ogger73
  [SUGGESTION] random hagar idea frostwyrm333 7 7,606 02-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Last Post: asyyy
Smile [SUGGESTION] Idea: Player-centric Xonotic lamefun 16 19,358 12-18-2013, 01:13 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Information [SUGGESTION] Idea: Forum cleanup? Samual 14 18,584 10-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Last Post: unfa
  [SUGGESTION] A vehicle Tank Idea aa 13 12,042 08-01-2013, 06:20 AM
Last Post: satuim
Exclamation [SUGGESTION] Idea: The Great Petitions lamefun 2 4,508 07-12-2013, 05:40 AM
Last Post: lamefun
  [SUGGESTION] Idea: Organize the qc gamecode as a script bundle, and auto-compile it at startup MirceaKitsune 9 10,497 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Samual
  [SUGGESTION] idea for the plot... if there is one. Wario 16 12,281 08-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Last Post: aa