Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] A vehicle Tank Idea

I know the image looks horrible, the proportions are wrong, but it will work to give the basic idea.
[Image: 0_b6631_f925a4a1_orig]
It is supposed to work like BumbleBee - a stronger land vehicle that is operated by more then one player. It has got two pairs of tracks, that can move in different directions, giving it good maneuverability and passability. It has got place for two people: The driver, who drives it, operates the top (red) turret, which deals light damage, and controls decoys. Second player is in charge of the big main cannons (green dots on black cuboids) for primary, and the minor weapon (cyan dots on black) for secondary.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

The way the engine currently is set up makes wheeled vehicles look really bad (very limited physics). Maybe it could be made with a hovercraft body instead?

Maybee it could.

Just imagine that black meshes are hover beacons.

Or if anyone has the ability to pull it off, a vehicle with legs. In my opinion legs would be a better option for a heavy vehicle.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Here is a descent drawing, it gives a better idea.
[Image: 0_b66cf_d633702b_XXL.jpg]

Great drawing, I like the idea.
XMPP Conferences
xonotic@conference.jabber.org → General discussion
xonotic@conf.jabberes.org → Spanish-speakers
I pronounce it Shonotic.

It looks like Dalek one the space rover. Me like.
[Image: 12684.png]

(06-11-2013, 03:28 PM)poVoq Wrote: The way the engine currently is set up makes wheeled vehicles look really bad (very limited physics). Maybe it could be made with a hovercraft body instead?

Thats actually not the main problem. Current built in physics makes anything else then a zero gravity craft look silly; you are going to have to write some custom code to get anything vehicular looking/acting anyways. Its quite possible to simulate wheels/tracks too; you "just" have to put the work into doing so.

The larger problem is all bboxes in Darkpalces are world aligned, meaning the vehicle has to be more or less cube formed (its "outline" anyway) or its visuals will not match its hitbox. This can be worked around by using mesh collisions for projectiles and custom QC for physics, but you have to do that anyway). Mesh collisions are however fairly performance taxing, especially if its an animated mesh.

What if you use more then one hitbox? One tall hitbox will be for the center part, and two low ones for the trck modules? then it will allow to destroy parts of vehicle separatly, eg destroying one track module will slow it down, both - will render it stationary, and destroying the center part first wil make th modules crawl in differnet sides crazily.
And still, puting pairs of legs or hover beacons in place of trcks can always be a spare option.
spider and walker, while being non zero grav zactualy dont look silly.

spider and walker don't look (too) silly since i coded custom physics for them (this goes for all vehicles). you can "sort of" use multiple hitboxes, however this is somewhat complicated and also performance taxing (possibly even too much as each separate hitbox must have a anti-lag record). Creating destroyable parts can be done regardless, that just takes some distance checking when receiving damage.

How can I edit the vehicles/their physics?

If you have to ask; you can't (right now). If you're serious in doing so i can help you along. It does involve quite a bit of coding in the awkward Quake C dialect and dealing with Darkplaces peculiarities - but if you're willing to deal with that (and make no mistake, this is a fair bit of commitment) i'm willing to help you along as best i can.

There is no point starting now, since i am going away for the summer, maybee after that, in august...

Support, but it might be hard to pull off

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Is adding a Quake-like laser to the main game a good idea? cushinga 2 1,048 03-28-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  [SUGGESTION] Hagar Idea VertX 4 4,244 01-02-2016, 07:02 AM
Last Post: [*Mr.Chri$*]
  [SUGGESTION] Rocket Launcher model idea Beagle 5 6,040 05-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Ogger73
  [SUGGESTION] Vehicle dynamics suggestion-damping factor zwz 6 7,612 07-10-2014, 05:10 AM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] random hagar idea frostwyrm333 7 7,523 02-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Last Post: asyyy
Smile [SUGGESTION] Idea: Player-centric Xonotic lamefun 16 19,099 12-18-2013, 01:13 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Information [SUGGESTION] Idea: Forum cleanup? Samual 14 18,435 10-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Last Post: unfa
  [SUGGESTION] per-weapon/vehicle camera toggling Lee_Stricklin 5 6,132 09-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Last Post: kammy
Exclamation [SUGGESTION] Idea: The Great Petitions lamefun 2 4,460 07-12-2013, 05:40 AM
Last Post: lamefun
  [SUGGESTION] Idea: Organize the qc gamecode as a script bundle, and auto-compile it at startup MirceaKitsune 9 10,394 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Samual