Create an account

Poll: Cut down on the number of weapons
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
39.47%
15 39.47%
No
60.53%
23 60.53%
Total 38 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
[SUGGESTION] Cut down on the number of weapons

Personally i like the feel of the nex more then the rifle (not talking abt the models). There's a 'classic' feel to it while the recharge address the 'combo issue'. I cant say im thrilled abt arc cannon/lightnign gun and mg=chaingun. My take on it is that a LG would / should be the weapon of choice in close combat for those with a steady aim. A chaingun would be pretty much the same thing, leading us back to the redundant gun discussion in a few months. Id rather see mg turned into a decent mid-range weapon, once the arc is afloat.

lg is midrange, basically to counter the mortar+nex combos if you can aim. At least that's what would make most sense qua gameplay and balance imo.

Quote:You can just set how you want your zoom. My normal zoom also goes away after you release the button, which is imo 10 times better.
And to be honest, I just disabled all this binocular stuff, since it is just distracting.

If so, then IMO it makes even less sense to have zoom on the secondary, if you can just configure standard zoom to suit your needs.

Quote:I cant say im thrilled abt arc cannon/lightnign gun and mg=chaingun. My take on it is that a LG would / should be the weapon of choice in close combat for those with a steady aim. A chaingun would be pretty much the same thing, leading us back to the redundant gun discussion in a few months. Id rather see mg turned into a decent mid-range weapon, once the arc is afloat.

Nope.

LG and CG play completely different in Q3 and similar games. The closest weapon redundant to CG would be plasma, and that would be why you rarely see CG on Q3 maps. CG should have superior damage output to LG, but eat through ammo much quicker (even quicker - as in LG is certainly not ammo conserving weapon), and have spread and spin-up/down periods which would force you to think when to start firing. LG otoh would make MG in current form pretty redundant, as I predict raw damage output would be comparable and way to use it would be somewhat similar in that you need to focus fire on a target for a while to frag it.

I too feel that some of the weapons are redundant or could be consolidated into one.

Lightning gun and chain gun act a bit differently and typically have different situations where one or the other is best used. For starters, most lightning guns aren't useful for firing into a crowd, not to mention their distance is limited.
(02-02-2012, 06:39 PM)tZork Wrote: Personally i like the feel of the nex more then the rifle (not talking abt the models). There's a 'classic' feel to it while the recharge address the 'combo issue'. I cant say im thrilled abt arc cannon/lightnign gun and mg=chaingun. My take on it is that a LG would / should be the weapon of choice in close combat for those with a steady aim. A chaingun would be pretty much the same thing, leading us back to the redundant gun discussion in a few months. Id rather see mg turned into a decent mid-range weapon, once the arc is afloat.

Lightning gun and chain gun act a bit differently and typically have different situations where one or the other is best used. For starters, most lightning guns aren't useful for firing into a crowd, not to mention their distance is limited. Also, if I had to pick between being able to headshot someone OR charging, I'd definitely go with the charge feature, though personally I'd like to an attempt made at combining headshot capability WITH charging on the primary fire. May or may not work, but I think it would be worth trying out.

(02-02-2012, 11:14 AM)theShadow Wrote: imo the default weapon zoom bind is just awkward to use, especially when trying to snipe.

what we COULD do, is combine the secondary of the nex and rifle. you can zoom in with right click, and when you fire while zoomed in, it fires the secondary of the rifle.

Sounds like an interesting idea, though if at all possible I would like there to be a better visual for the secondary as with the rifle I initially didn't know what the difference between it and the primary outside of the sound it made. lol
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

(02-03-2012, 04:11 AM)rafallus Wrote: ...
Quote:I cant say im thrilled abt arc cannon/lightnign gun and mg=chaingun. My take on it is that a LG would / should be the weapon of choice in close combat for those with a steady aim. A chaingun would be pretty much the same thing, leading us back to the redundant gun discussion in a few months. Id rather see mg turned into a decent mid-range weapon, once the arc is afloat.

Nope.

LG and CG play completely different in Q3 and similar games. The closest weapon redundant to CG would be plasma, and that would be why you rarely see CG on Q3 maps. CG should have superior damage output to LG, but eat through ammo much quicker (even quicker - as in LG is certainly not ammo conserving weapon), and have spread and spin-up/down periods which would force you to think when to start firing. LG otoh would make MG in current form pretty redundant, as I predict raw damage output would be comparable and way to use it would be somewhat similar in that you need to focus fire on a target for a while to frag it.

I respectfully don't give half a shit how quake's ut's or anything else does it Wink Im speaking of how bullet weapons work in Xonotic and assuming the proposed CG would be one and those stay hit-scan, q3's plamsa is nothing like it. Xonotic's LG/Arc will also have features actively designed to make it a short range weapon, such as the beam having a larger inertia (bending) the further it goes (so you can track a close target fast, but the inertia makes it a poor choice at mid+ range). At least this was the plan when it was last being discussed.

Quote:Xonotic's LG/Arc will also have features actively designed to make it a short range weapon, such as the beam having a larger inertia (bending) the further it goes

I hope we will just get a simple, usable weapon which adds something to gameplay instead of focusing on including as much cool geeky stuff as possible. Melting someone with a lightning beam is fun for most people, waving around with a rubber stick probably is not. But lets postpone this discussion till the new lg gets merged into master branch. Smile

Well, the bending idea was to give the gun a more defined use so it would have less of the redundancy issue™. But as you say, its discussions abt how good or bad that is is pointless until there's something to actually test. Personally i feel the lg/arc is unnecessary, as we already have a machine-gun that can do this job - but there's a high demand for such weapon so its quite likely it will be introduced.

we do have 2 open weapon slots (last I checked) ... whats wrong with using them up? also the tuba should not be on the main weapon list ... that would open a third slot.

(02-04-2012, 07:13 AM)tZork Wrote: Well, the bending idea was to give the gun a more defined use so it would have less of the redundancy issue™. But as you say, its discussions abt how good or bad that is is pointless until there's something to actually test. Personally i feel the lg/arc is unnecessary, as we already have a machine-gun that can do this job - but there's a high demand for such weapon so its quite likely it will be introduced.

It's important to have weapons that help more skilled players utilize their skill. high spread/arc will make aim less important in game-play and this may work to the against players in high-skill matches and tournaments. IMO there needs to be a balance between primary and secondary fire to allow guns to be used with excellent responsiveness to skill as well as allowing new players to earn a few frags against average players.

IMO the arc secondary should allow for charging (possibly consuming ammo) to give the gun a short-term surplus of energy. This would allow the gun to have decreased "Flex" and be more accurate for just long enough for a skilled player to do enough damage to significantly weaken an opponent. this would be similar to the Nex recharge but change accuracy instead of damage.

Just an idea.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Limited weapon slots & customizable spawn weapons MirceaKitsune 38 34,482 09-14-2014, 04:19 AM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] 3rd person view blocking crosshair when looking down basaltdragon 1 4,100 07-11-2013, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Community Design Workshop: singleplayer weapons tutorial s1lence 4 7,582 07-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] Thumbs down to the race levels Lancer 42 34,646 12-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Archer
  [SUGGESTION] Real Weapons Miguel 27 26,807 11-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Last Post: HellYeah
Star [SUGGESTION] New ammo type for hitscan weapons s1lence 18 19,396 10-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Top down "Alien Swarm" type coop Sarge999 11 10,816 09-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Last Post: TH3FTB0T
  [SUGGESTION] Anti Vehicles Weapons philosphy Majki 10 10,251 04-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Last Post: freefang
  [SUGGESTION] Decrease amount of carryable weapons? Sarge999 38 37,954 11-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Sarge999
  [SUGGESTION] 5 secs respawn for weapons as default lda17h 15 15,794 11-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin