Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello I'm Arcadehero

Hello all.

I've been playing the game for a while, albeit only occasionally online. I either go by FLYNN or Arcadehero when online.

One thing I want to learn how to setup is a private server. I've been able to bring in several people to the game where we play together every Wednesday but joining an already setup server was really hit or miss and took us an hour to find a decent server so looking into setting up a private one. Any tips would be appreciated! I am a real noob with it unfortunately, I do not know how to write my own scripts and all of that yet.

Welcome!

Hi! I believe you can make a server just by using the "create" function, and then have people connect to your IP address. But make sure port 26000 is forwarded, and you also may encounter problems with you firewalls, both on the computer and in the router.

Another way is to setup a separate computer and run the server. I've done this, but it was not as stable as I would like(lagged alot). Same advice about the ports and firewall apply.

A better method, if you are somewhat familiar with the Linux terminal, is to use a free Amazon server. Just follow this tutorial http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2797

I have 2 amazon servers myself and they work very well. I've never had to pay a cent because I use each one on a separate account.

If you want an easier to use server than Amazon, and with a better ping, http://www.hypernia.com/ sells them, but they are probably not worth buying for a once a week game with friends. I'd still go with he Amazon server in your situation.

Also, if you are North America, you can use my server(WARPIG's FRAG FEST) and vote for different maps, gametypes, and settings. It's an Amazon server. If you want to try a different NA server, check out the [0.6] Washington DC team game server. You can vote for different team games there. It's a Hypernia server.

You can vote by typing "vcall" in the console, followed by whatever you want. So if you want to change a 1v1 server to CTF, you would type "vcall ctf" in the console. If you need to see your voting options, type "vhelp". And if you want to change maps, type "vmap" followed by the map name. My server has a ton of votable options as well.

Hope you and your friends enjoy Xonotic!

The "create" tab is a bit problematic because gfx performance affects server performance. The server framerate is affected by the hosting client's gfx framerate. It's better to use the dedicated server. It's the same process as on the amazon server (move server_linux.sh, configure server.cfg, etc.) but done locally.

The amazon thing requires a credit card, doesn't it?

(06-11-2012, 05:09 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: The "create" tab is a bit problematic because gfx performance affects server performance. The server framerate is affected by the hosting client's gfx framerate. It's better to use the dedicated server. It's the same process as on the amazon server (move server_linux.sh, configure server.cfg, etc.) but done locally.

The amazon thing requires a credit card, doesn't it?

Oh ok, good to know. yeah, Amazon requires a credit card, so it's use at your own risk. I've never been charged for anything though.

Well, I don't have a credit card and I'm probably not the only one in that situation. Self-hosting is more practical in that case Smile

hmmmm have you tried to use a Visa gift card? i know they act as a normal credit card, and you would only need a little cash on it. Just something to consider.

I don't need one either.

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Welcome to Xonotic!

Wow, thanks for the tips (and the welcomes)! I've enjoyed the game since Nexiuz, I'm always trying to bring on more people to play. Smile

Welcome! Cool

Well done on spreading the word. Angel

Mr B, Y U NO USE CREDIT CARD? You're becoming more like your bearded signature friend everyday (apparently he doesn't like having a lot of money).

Because debit is alright? Where I am, I don't think I meet the requirements to get a credit card anyway.

If anyone ever uses a prepaid visa gift card for amazon aws, please let me know if it works, I'm curious.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello, hello. (Hello) AlDeezy 5 4,213 06-12-2012, 02:12 AM
Last Post: .Danny.
  Hello hello!. (hola :D) bdvd 5 5,713 08-12-2010, 05:55 AM
Last Post: tux9656