Downer Final

http://omploader.org/vNGJuZw <-- final version

------------------

something old
- nex an mg swapped the places
- the trick out of the pit is easier
- unprotected stairs

Nice!
But I get a strange feeling from "stony" textures... Anyways...
Thanks to the devs!
PM me if you need something... I'll be happy to help for any translation work needed...

This is much better than original downer, the flow is very nice and better item placement. Could only played with bots (they barely move btw), but the gameplay seems great too, could be a good 1v1 map, there's a lot of routes and shortcuts that can used between item pickups, which is always good for fast paced 1v1 matches.

The only thing I'm not sure about, is the textures used, it somehow looks out-of-place visually in the upper levels. I think it would look better if not all textures were all gray-ish and of similar brightness, imo the whole map is lacking in contrast. See aggressor for an example of what I mean (lighter textures with darker trim textures, or the inverse depending on room/area). In particular, right now the gray/green-ish color of brick textures is not very appealing against other gray metal textures of similar brightness. Maybe using rusty or darker metal textures would look better, or replacing the bricks with darker texture would look good against the brighter trims.

Could this be Xonotic's answer to it's very own darkzone? Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

(04-26-2010, 07:06 AM)kojn^ Wrote: Could this be Xonotic's answer to it's very own darkzone? Smile

im not sure, there are better maps then this one
why dont you try this map in a 1on1?

Since this is B4 I suppose that it is still beta?
So there is more to come maybe?
Because the general feeling of the map is great, but some textures could be revisited... (the portals for examples...)

Edit: If you could make the edges of the corner on which you use the "stony" texture (not the bricks) a little rounder it would probably be nicer for the eye...
Thanks to the devs!
PM me if you need something... I'll be happy to help for any translation work needed...

its a beta because its easier to edit thing without confusing people

BETA 5

[Image: 49jsf6zud9w42srjy_thumb.jpg]

fixed some lighting
added some eyecandy
added some hint brushes

LINK: http://www.filefront.com/16303645/downer_b5.pk3

I'll try it out when I'll finally have time, and I'm not running from one place to another Smile
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

I didn't have time to jump around on it much to comment on the changes (seems subtle, I would need to compare both versions), but my earlier comments still stand about the map visually. The lighting seems fine, it's just the choice of textures.

Great!
Rounded edges look almost perfect (i see the line between the tiles of texture...)
You forgot some... But for the feeling, rounded is really nice!
Thanks to the devs!

http://www.filefront.com/16363925/downer_b6.pk3

- added the trims macrobat suggested
- adjusted the lights

I think now its almost final.

Screenshot

This image was taken on b4 I think, but still show what I meant in my comments...

Edit:
By high quality teleporters "warpzones" I mean animated ones or the new one wich shows what's on the other side
Thanks to the devs!

http://omploader.org/vNGJuZw

So for now thats the final version. I reacted to ever critsim, so i hope the layout and itemplacement is fine for most people.

I like it.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Thanks for the hard work Cortez

Looks really great
Thanks to the devs!

Great Improvement Smile You know your layouts. Some things id like to improve and add detail to. Id also like to add detail to the entire level and remove some sticking points if i could.

[Image: c0bkfy7mvx5khs8bsxli_thumb.jpg][Image: ddhrxg6wuiavjkljx86_thumb.jpg][Image: esahvsmq8s2b194ztsu_thumb.jpg][Image: fa44rcsx2kzv3t7z3rl1_thumb.jpg][Image: rowvfv1en2hxsqasxly_thumb.jpg][Image: d5ystmpec84fjcwo3q3f_thumb.jpg]
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

some small fixes and new textures (thanks to morphed)
http://www.omploader.org/vNGJ2MA

Wow, I've just played a duel on this map, it is AMAZING. Most Xonotic maps, in my opinion don't work that well with either fuitiex's or samual's balance except stormkeep (no balance discussion here, just pointing out that maps need work), but this one is just perfect. It might be my new favorite duel map. It's so fast and requires good timing to control items, it is very challenging because there are a lot of paths and shortcuts to catch up with your opponent. It is also very easy to learn, I only played one match and am already familiar with weapon placement and the teles.

I suppose it would need different visuals, but I really hope it will make it into Xonotic as official map. But whatever you do, please do not touch item placement, because I would whine like a little girl. Also, keep the teleporters as is, they are a lot of fun, don't turn them into warpzones as I think it would break the map because it would make it way too small.

I gave it a fast run. I like the layout, and agree it can be really cool 1v1 map. I think Item layout is fine (tho It's just my impression since I'm not so experienced with Xonotic yet, and didn't playets it really). What I can suggest about IL - it would be good to add another armor somewhere on tha map. If I got things right there is single armor, and that additional big health item,which suppose to be major items on the map, and they will creat gameplay. Usually in 1v1 it's good and desired to have 3 major items. It adds really a lot to the gameplay, and makes a map a lot more balanced. Still good impression on that.

Now, please don't take my word in a wrong way, I'm not trying to upset you, but i think the graphical design of the map could be improved a lot. Actually for me it looks like whole texturing is pretty much at beta stage. I think maps has real potential, and would really like to see it with more polished look. Same thing about the lighting. It's always worth to try to push all it's possible from the map.

Also, small tip, please name your .pk3 exactly how your .bsp is named. It's a really good habit Wink.

First of all i dont know how to response to a 7 months old thread Sad, so please dont await a good answer

(02-14-2011, 04:24 AM)nifrek Wrote: Wow, I've just played a duel on this map, it is AMAZING. Most Xonotic maps, in my opinion don't work that well with either fuitiex's or samual's balance except stormkeep (no balance discussion here, just pointing out that maps need work), but this one is just perfect.
i havent tried this map in xonotic, but bloodrage and red work in xonotic so i assume this one works too.

(02-14-2011, 04:24 AM)nifrek Wrote: It might be my new favorite duel map.
glad you like it

(02-14-2011, 04:24 AM)nifrek Wrote: It is also very easy to learn, I only played one match and am already familiar with weapon placement and the teles.
i doubt that. i assume its mainly, because its based on the downer map from nexuiz

(02-14-2011, 04:24 AM)nifrek Wrote: I suppose it would need different visuals, but I really hope it will make it into Xonotic as official map.
It was NEVER intended to be a official map fo Xonotic. I started with during the aftermath of Samual's quality initiative at the of 2009.

(02-14-2011, 04:24 AM)nifrek Wrote: But whatever you do, please do not touch item placement, because I would whine like a little girl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_cSnpoKM...re=related

(02-14-2011, 04:45 AM)ShadoW Wrote: I think Item layout is fine (tho It's just my impression since I'm not so experienced with Xonotic yet, and didn't playets it really). What I can suggest about IL - it would be good to add another armor somewhere on tha map.
there is already more armor then health to pick up. (195 armor to 170 health

(02-14-2011, 04:45 AM)ShadoW Wrote: If I got things right there is single armor, and that additional big health item,which suppose to be major items on the map, and they will creat gameplay. Usually in 1v1 it's good and desired to have 3 major items. It adds really a lot to the gameplay, and makes a map a lot more balanced. Still good impression on that.
there are 4 major items 2x a 50 health pick up, 1x a 50 armor and 1x a 100 armor

(02-14-2011, 04:45 AM)ShadoW Wrote: Now, please don't take my word in a wrong way, I'm not trying to upset you, but i think the graphical design of the map could be improved a lot. Actually for me it looks like whole texturing is pretty much at beta stage. I think maps has real potential, and would really like to see it with more polished look. Same thing about the lighting. It's always worth to try to push all it's possible from the map.
yeah it could be more minimalistic
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(02-14-2011, 02:06 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: First of all i dont know how to response to a 7 months old thread Sad, so please dont await a good answer

(02-14-2011, 04:24 AM)nifrek Wrote: I suppose it would need different visuals, but I really hope it will make it into Xonotic as official map.
It was NEVER intended to be a official map fo Xonotic. I started with during the aftermath of Samual's quality initiative at the of 2009.

Oh, yeah I was aware you released this months ago, but I just got to try it in Xonotic for the first time and thought it was worth that people and devs gave it a second look to maybe turn it into a Xonotic map. But either way, it's playable as is, so I guess it doesn't matter in the end.

(02-14-2011, 02:20 PM)nifrek Wrote: Oh, yeah I was aware you released this months ago, but I just got to try it in Xonotic for the first time and thought it was worth that people and devs gave it a second look to maybe turn it into a Xonotic map. But either way, it's playable as is, so I guess it doesn't matter in the end.

if you want it for xonotic, you should talk with developers about it and ask them for thier opinions
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Mapinfo edited for:

• Freezetag
• Team Deathmatch
• Keepaway
• Clan Arena
• Key Hunt

It's there if you want it Undecided

.zip   downer_final.mapinfo.zip (Size: 830 bytes / Downloads: 3)

Also I changed it from 'type' to 'gametype'.

About the map: Lava around the bottom is nice, but the bots don't seem to do as well as they did in Nexuiz. Nice job Smile

(02-14-2011, 03:57 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Mapinfo edited for:

• Freezetag
• Team Deathmatch
• Keepaway
• Clan Arena
• Key Hunt

did you realized that these modes needs maps with a size this dont have?

(02-14-2011, 04:10 PM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(02-14-2011, 03:57 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Mapinfo edited for:

• Freezetag
• Team Deathmatch
• Keepaway
• Clan Arena
• Key Hunt

did you realized that these modes needs maps with a size this dont have?
Keepaway certainly is fine here, I played it on my server.

It can easily support a 2v2.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CTF,ONS,CTS] Trident_ctf [FINAL] Kotangens 10 5,236 08-29-2022, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [MAP] The Yard 2.0 [FINAL] Cortez666 24 30,915 11-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Last Post: snazz
  [DUEL] Tuhma (FINAL) Smilecythe 21 17,104 07-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [DUEL]Phrantic - Final Cortez666 23 18,786 09-30-2017, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Justin
  [TDM]Voll aufs Maul FINAL Cortez666 37 44,083 02-13-2014, 03:10 PM