Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I always do it that way.

Just use this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide

Little off-topic question...

Is GTX650 OC Edition a descent card, cause i get FPS drops with normal config at 1080p?

EDIT:
Here's my whole setup(which I thought was more than enough to run Xonotic on High tbh...)
Motherboard: Asrock 960GM-GS3 FX
Processor: FX-4100 Black Edition X4 @ 3,6GHz
GPU Card: MSI GTX650 1GB OC Edition
Memory: Crossair VENGEANCE 8GB @ 1600 MHz
HHD: 60GB SSD for root and 500GB 7500RPM for home
Get 60FPS on slightly lowered normal settings, fps drops on bigger maps though....

Did you just install Arch? Are you sure it's set up fine? What drivers are you using?

Currently running Ubuntu LTS, due to the reason my dad had a bootable USB with it. I'll install Arch, but I just wanted to give the computer a run.

My GPU driver is this one:
NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (**experiemental** beta) (version experimental-310)

Installed using Ubuntu's driver manager "Additional drivers", there is also a second option, but it's also an experimental beta...

EDIT: :'( Little bit sad when I realize my laptop runs Xonotic better than my new one back when its hardware was supported and had drivers... and it doesn't even have better specs in any matter...

Nothing new to me. None of the drivers from Nvidia worked for me using the exact same distribution. Who had that expected... Tongue Install Arch Linux and I´m sure you won´t have the performance issue (though if you still have it then try compiling your kernel with a different version of the graphics driver).

When setting up your Arch Linux system you will configure and compile your own kernel fitting the hardware the best as it can be.

(11-13-2012, 04:09 PM)Maddin Wrote: When setting up your Arch Linux system you will configure and compile your own kernel fitting the hardware the best as it can be.

That's completely optional, in fact I don't think many people do that.

Oh really? So you don´t have to set up your kernel config and compile it then? Or do you mean that many people use some kind of tool like genkernel which generates the config automatically?

Well, I'm using Arch on my laptop, I did compile a kernel but switch back to the normal one without much of a difference tbh, it just uncompressed the kernel slightly faster from what I noticed..