Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Quick Question about the update tool

If I update on Mac (using the rsync-updater) Will it the update work on Windows or Linux.

Hope this is clear. And I'm sorry I didn't know where to look for help.
Thanks in Advance!

rsync-updater downloads the binaries for your current OS.

You will need to run the updater again on your other systems to get their binaries, but you won't need to download all of the main data again.
[Image: 230.png]

Yup. Just be careful about file permissions, though. If you move files from Windows to Mac OS or Linux, you might have to set the executables as executable to be able to run the game.

Bit confused somebody is telling me yes while the other is saying no :/

(06-18-2013, 01:39 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Yup. Just be careful about file permissions, though. If you move files from Windows to Mac OS or Linux, you might have to set the executables as executable to be able to run the game.
OK thank you I will try updating later.
How do I set the executables as exacutable though?

(06-18-2013, 07:27 AM)Mario Wrote: rsync-updater downloads the binaries for your current OS.

You will need to run the updater again on your other systems to get their binaries, but you won't need to download all of the main data again.
OK, Thats cool but Mr. Bougo says otherwise

I said yup to Mario's post. Sorry about that, I wasn't clear.

You can also use XONOTIC_INCLUDE_ALL to download the files for all operating systems instead of just your own. In mac OS, that means you should run this command:
Code:
XONOTIC_INCLUDE_ALL=true ./update-to-release.sh
instead of
Code:
./update-to-release.sh
It has to be run from the terminal.

The executable "problem" will only appear if you move files from windows to linux or mac, not the other way around. You set files to be executable through the files' properties, or using the chmod command in the console if you know about that.

(06-18-2013, 05:14 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I said yup to Mario's post. Sorry about that, I wasn't clear.

You can also use XONOTIC_INCLUDE_ALL to download the files for all operating systems instead of just your own. In mac OS, that means you should run this command:
Code:
XONOTIC_INCLUDE_ALL=true ./update-to-release.sh
instead of
Code:
./update-to-release.sh
It has to be run from the terminal.
Along with the cd command?

(06-19-2013, 12:24 AM)satuim Wrote: Along with the cd command?

What do you mean? "cd" means "change directory". You need to cd into the xonotic/misc/tools/rsync-updater directory before running the command I put in my previous post, yes.

(06-19-2013, 12:31 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(06-19-2013, 12:24 AM)satuim Wrote: Along with the cd command?

What do you mean? "cd" means "change directory". You need to cd into the xonotic/misc/tools/rsync-updater directory before running the command I put in my previous post, yes.
Yup, thats what CD means (in Terminal talk)
Right thank you for everything.
I didn't want to download 993mbs again because of my bad internet (it has a very bad bandwidth and it is the same internet mobile phones use) Which leads me on to my next question. The 0.7 Update came out so this is why I'm asking in the first place. Do you know how big it is to download it (Using rsync-updater)

And a good place to get information like this?

I have no idea. As far as I know that information wasn't recorded.

You can find out how much it will transfer by doing a rsync dry run, which will pretend to do the transfer but not actually do it. You can do that, but please be careful:

Edit the rsync updater, by adding to the last line a -nv, so that it becomes
Code:
rsync $options $excludes "$url" "$target" -nv
Then, run the script as I said above, with XONOTIC_INCLUDE_ALL etc. It will do a bunch of stuff and, at the end, give you the amount of data it would transfer (in bytes, you have to do the math to convert it) under "total size".

Just remove the -nv when you're done, and it won't be doing a dry run the next time you run the script. Please be careful if you edit the script.

(06-19-2013, 01:55 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I have no idea. As far as I know that information wasn't recorded.

You can find out how much it will transfer by doing a rsync dry run, which will pretend to do the transfer but not actually do it. You can do that, but please be careful:

Code:
Then, run the script as I said above, with XONOTIC_INCLUDE_ALL etc. It will do a bunch of stuff and, at the end, give you the amount of data it would transfer (in bytes, you have to do the math to convert it) under "total size".

Just remove the -nv when you're done, and it won't be doing a dry run the next time you run the script. Please be careful if you edit the script.
OK thank you. I will report back when I do it (maybe after a few days)

(06-19-2013, 01:55 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I have no idea. As far as I know that information wasn't recorded.

Code:

I didn't end up checking the download size but it finished in 16 minutes on a 200kbs network, Without downloading 993mb All over again.

Thanks. (A moderator can close this thread now Smile )

No closing, I'll mark it as solved! (By the way, FYI, you can do that by editing your first post, there's a list of thread prefixes which has [SOLVED])

From a freshly-downloaded 0.6, about 260MB. Details here (in the release thread): http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...5#pid59085
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Dang. I didn't notice that post. I'll keep that in mind, thanks Antibody!

Also, this is why threads should stay open when possible Wink

(06-25-2013, 03:07 PM)Antibody Wrote: From a freshly-downloaded 0.6, about 260MB. Details here (in the release thread): http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...5#pid59085
Thanks you Antibody i'll try and keep up with these threads. It beats downloading 1gb all over again. The update caused no harm on my internet threshold so thank you

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Models, items, and sky black after 0.8.5 update htsm92 0 662 08-15-2022, 07:34 PM
Last Post: htsm92
Question [SOLVED] How to disable the update banner Sawag 5 1,831 07-02-2022, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Sawag
  [SOLVED] Menu fails to load after recent update Bloodthorn 2 2,727 09-25-2018, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Bloodthorn
  [SOLVED] Cannot run game anymore after new git update Bloodthorn 2 2,780 07-25-2018, 07:20 AM
  [SOLVED] libc++ update Bloodthorn 2 2,707 06-22-2018, 06:48 AM
  [SOLVED] How To Disable Travelling "Update Now" Notification garyt53 10 7,040 02-22-2018, 11:30 AM
Last Post: ScrewTheUpdate
  [SOLVED] Difference of the 2 update scripts? dreamteam 2 3,967 11-30-2015, 04:35 PM
Last Post: dreamteam
  [SOLVED] How can i make an icon to quick-start Lan-game ? Old Enzo 3 6,120 12-07-2014, 06:58 AM
Last Post: GoregeousGuy
  [SOLVED] gameplay question: weaponchange TheGoodGamer 2 3,425 03-11-2014, 02:28 AM
Last Post: machine!
  [NEED HELP] Tearing issues since last update Halogene 0 3,177 01-16-2014, 05:28 AM
Last Post: Halogene