Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Registration and Statistics

xonotic should require registration on this site before they can log into the game, for the purpose of following player statistics,

and any player can be 'looked up' in the xonotic menu, including things like a profile page, statistics, rankings, tournaments, online status, PM's and IM's from within the game menu.

i heard this might already be in the planning, im just trying to come up with feasible tweaks to this idea.

registration requirement sucks!
what is it good for? just to get some stats?

An optional registration system is already in the works.

(05-23-2010, 08:23 AM)Cortez666 Wrote: registration requirement sucks!
what is it good for? just to get some stats?

its not hard to register a nickname though.

For shame!
I hate having to log in to play a game, even if it gets me in a ranking system.

Registration should not be mandatory at all. Say our servers go down and I want to play a game? This is like what EA is doing - client must be in constant contact with server = fail.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

One word, Ubisoft. It was a DRM measure but even w/out DRM it's annoying. Let's call this PRM (Player Reputation Management) for purposes of comparison.
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

(05-23-2010, 07:07 AM)teams Wrote: xonotic should require registration on this site before they can log into the game, for the purpose of following player statistics,

thumbs down for the "require".

What could be done, though (circumventing the problem Roanoke has pointed out) is this game system (some basic knowledge of asymmetric cryptography is required):

1. A centralized authentication server (i.e. auth.xonotic.org) handles registered users and their public keys.
  2. Xonotic clients have the option to ask for registration, and in order create a public and private-key pair; the private key is stored with a passphrase in user's data dir, and the public key has to be pasted/uploaded to auth.xonotic.org's frontend.
  3. Every xonotic server may be enabled to poll (every 5 minutes?) auth.xonotic.org to retrieve every user's public key, and stores them.
  4. When an user connects to a registration-enabled server, the server checks for a public key in memory for that user. If present, user is requested to sign his request and authenticate; otherwise is kicked off.

Just ideas running here; the 5-minutes poll would limit the EA's bottleneck, and the only problem would be for the servers to store public keys.

I like the idea of tracking stats but this game is a community-driven game and community likes freedom. So I'am against making anything more than minimum in the game required or necessary. People should just be warned that their stats will be tracked only if they are registered (it is a technical need, like need of having a display to play the game).

Please make the game log-in automatically after every leaunch btw Smile

People who are just trying the game out or don't need stats but like to kill some people form time to timeBig Grin and also play a lot offline (like me formerly) will go away and play Warsow or smth. if you try to force them to register to be able to launch the game. That's my opinion.

I belive that necessary registration is an unnecesarry limitation of user's freedom.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

As parasti already stated the registration will be OPTIONAL.

We already are working on a system for that.

It will be "mostly optional" (i.e. it will be optional by default, and possibly required per IP range as a softer version of banning - but of course a server admin can choose to require the ID from ALL ip addresses, which I'd recommend against).

It will not need an auth server (other than for CREATING your ID file). So if auth server is down, you lose nothing.

You can choose to create an ID that is not linked to your account, and cannot be traced back to it.

ID will be creatable from within the game, by entering forum username and password.

ID will be used for player identification in all places that currently use the IP address (banning) or a password (rcon, vdo), as well as for player statistics.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

will there be achievements? see this old topic at the alienTRAP forum

http://alienTRAP.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5341

(most of the images are gone)
lol now I get it TRAP Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] RSS feed for statistics pages? end user 1 2,857 05-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] Percentiles in statistics afullo 3 5,652 05-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Last Post: afullo
  [SUGGESTION] Orange base and blue base instead of red and blue base? kay 24 19,278 06-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Last Post: divVerent
  [SUGGESTION] buddy search function, average statistics, etc Rage_ATWM 9 10,793 07-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Cortez666