Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where can I find the self animated weapons from Nexuiz?

Once upon a time, long before Xonotic was born, there was a day when self animated weapons were proposed for Nexuiz. If I remember correctly, this was some 5 years ago, but it was done for weapon models still used by Xonotic today. Several weapons were given parts that would dislocate or rotate when the player fired, rather than just the gun bobbing backward. Unfortunately however, they were removed in a matter of weeks / months... something to do with not pointing at the aim target properly. Animating the weapon mesh was never discussed or attempted again ever since.

As I've been mentioning, I'm working on a mod that will run on top of Xonotic, focused primarily on change and good art. Since I have slightly less scruples than Xonotic master, I'm not as bothered if the weapon is facing a little to the right or left. Animated weapons are one thing I would love to add, and using the ones Nexuiz had would be the easiest first step.

So does anyone know where and if I can still obtain the blend file sources of animated weapons, from the period when Nexuiz had spinning barrels on the Mortar / Hagar / Rocket Launcher? Also, are there any instructions on how I'd have to export the v_weapon or h_weapon file for this... considering the code might have changed and at this day we'd use iqm instead of zym?

I'm not sure I understand. Aren't the weapon anims still in? The weapon model files have hardly changed since the beginning of Xonotic.

There is code for fire animations as well. If that's called, should it not be considered a bug?

Anyway, Nexuiz repositories still exist. Consider making a git-svn clone.

(05-19-2014, 01:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I'm not sure I understand. Aren't the weapon anims still in? The weapon model files have hardly changed since the beginning of Xonotic.

There is code for fire animations as well. If that's called, should it not be considered a bug?

Anyway, Nexuiz repositories still exist. Consider making a git-svn clone.

Self animated weapons were only in Nexuiz for a few weeks, before the admins changed their mind. The old static models were then reverted back to.

No, the current weapon models don't have any mesh animations. That's easy to tell, because h_weapon only contains the armature bones for the 1st person weapon positioning, while v_weapon is attached to that. v_weapon is md3... which doesn't support more than one animation, and in this case all v_*.md3 weapon files are static models. I believe animated weapons contain the mesh in the h_*.iqm file directly, together with the bones and 1st person gun animations.

And you're right that if they're still anywhere, it must be the old Nexuiz SVN repository... in case that still exists. But that's still so large, and this happened so long ago, that I don't know where and how to look for them. Especially since there isn't a web interface that lets me see the commits addressing a specific file, and SVN is less smart than GIT.

There never was such a thing a "self animated" weapons in nexuiz or xonotic, how would that even work? The only automatic animations in nexuiz was for player models. Afaik the code for animated guns are still in xonotic and i think overkill weapons use it, if you need an example.

(05-19-2014, 07:32 AM)tZork Wrote: There never was such a thing a "self animated" weapons in nexuiz or xonotic, how would that even work? The only automatic animations in nexuiz was for player models. Afaik the code for animated guns are still in xonotic and i think overkill weapons use it, if you need an example.

There were... I remember when I tested them myself at the time. The Mortar and Rocket Launcher had spinning barrels when the weapons were fired for example.

Self-animated implies it magically works with no specific code for it, this is not the case.

Anyhow:

qcsrc\server\cl_weaponsystem.qc and http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...aponsystem Wrote:/*
* supported formats:
* 1. simple animated model, muzzle flash handling on h_ model:
* h_tuba.dpm, h_tuba.dpm.framegroups - invisible model controlling the animation
* tags:
* shot = muzzle end (shot origin, also used for muzzle flashes)
* shell = casings ejection point (must be on the right hand side of the gun)
* weapon = attachment for v_tuba.md3
* v_tuba.md3 - first and third person model
* g_tuba.md3 - pickup model
* 2. simple animated model, muzzle flash handling on v_ model:
* h_tuba.dpm, h_tuba.dpm.framegroups - invisible model controlling the animation
* tags:
* weapon = attachment for v_tuba.md3
* v_tuba.md3 - first and third person model
* tags:
* 3. fully animated model, muzzle flash handling on h_ model:
* h_tuba.dpm, h_tuba.dpm.framegroups - animated first person model
* tags:
* handle = corresponding to the origin of v_tuba.md3 (used for muzzle flashes)
* v_tuba.md3 - third person model
* 4. fully animated model, muzzle flash handling on v_ model:
* h_tuba.dpm, h_tuba.dpm.framegroups - animated first person model
* tags:
* shot = muzzle end (shot origin)
* v_tuba.md3 - third person model
* tags:
* shot = muzzle end (for muzzle flashes)
*/

looks like what you want is option 4. look at the h_*.framegroups in the weapons dir for reference.

Oh... I probably didn't use the most accurate wording. By "self animated" I meant weapon models that contain their own animation. Rather than h_weapon.iqm containing the bones, and v_weapon.md3 containing the mesh. And thanks, that list helps understand how the code will expect this to be for starters.

+1 for trying that

Did you get anywhere with it?

I remember the framegroups thing, from years ago, trying to make the nexuiz flag work in xon,
which has this little rotating piece in the center (where the frames timing/looping was wrong for xonotic).
After all the fiddling I had two versions, one where I did the frames in QC, and then the framegroups file.

That flag ofc had no player attached model and thus was easy by comparison, but I remember thinking it has a lot potential to
manage the animation frames from qc, doing event-based stuff beyond just simply looping.

Not really, I never found these old models. Still looking if anyone knows where they could be found!

(11-07-2014, 09:42 AM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: Not really, I never found these old models. Still looking if anyone knows where they could be found!

Maybe I'm missing something there, but isn't it simply in the nexuiz repo? https://git.icculus.org/?p=divverent/nex...;a=summary

Hmm, sadly I can't remember anything about that exactly.
I do think I remember talk about that, but not really anything implemented. Memory is such a fickle thing.
But wouldn't that have been *after* the fork, when there was all that talk about IQM models and such?

Edit: in that case, look in oldstuff.git, http://git.xonotic.org/?p=xonotic/oldstuff.git;a=heads

(11-07-2014, 12:14 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(11-07-2014, 09:42 AM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: Not really, I never found these old models. Still looking if anyone knows where they could be found!

Maybe I'm missing something there, but isn't it simply in the nexuiz repo? https://git.icculus.org/?p=divverent/nex...;a=summary

It should be, but it depends between which revisions. The self animated models were added some 5 years ago, but removed in less than a few months. So it's probably between two very precise commits, and two very ancient ones at that.

So what, the commit history for data/models/weapons is very short. Have a look for yourself.

Right. Looks to me as if such a thing wasn't ever in the main branch at least.
I suppose it would be either found through the existence of *.framegroups files or in the weapons QC code.

You know I just found this: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=993
Seems I was interested in the same at some point previously.
It's not very helpful here at all though. Haha.

Though I think to remember now the RL had this clunky bullet chamber on the left side, where it has the player color now, which could rotate or was meant to rotate?
Does that at least match with your memory, Taoki? Big Grin

(11-08-2014, 04:46 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: So what, the commit history for data/models/weapons is very short. Have a look for yourself.

Aha... that looks like it should work, thanks. Will look in-depth sometime later.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Standalone Overkill weapons Lyberta 16 17,764 09-03-2021, 11:26 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Making New Weapons Molnija 22 15,513 02-18-2021, 04:39 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  Can I adjust the weapon model size and stuff? Molnija 1 2,265 03-13-2019, 12:28 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Random start weapons Lyberta 0 2,678 09-23-2017, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Lyberta
  How can i add a Game mode? HirnloserHering 2 4,347 08-29-2015, 06:33 AM
Last Post: HirnloserHering
  [SOLVED] Orienting weapons to bones (CSQC) toneddu2000 3 6,697 03-30-2015, 04:26 PM
Last Post: toneddu2000
  Can of worms, ctf ai 62 47,443 08-16-2013, 05:34 AM
Last Post: hotdog
  Nexuiz 2.3 maps question? kidx 61 54,088 10-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Last Post: hutty
Brick Weapons defined in text files / de-harding weapons [feature debate] MirceaKitsune 41 44,294 10-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Last Post: hutty
  How to make new weapons? Kris 2 4,733 09-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo