Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standalone Overkill weapons

Whatever.

There was a bug a few years ago when you can use an OK weapon with a normal model but I wasn't able to figure out how I did it originally.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Nice work. You might want to include your CHANGELOG in the OP to make it easier to see what you've changed over time, if you plan on adding more versions. Feel free to keep bumping with updates as they happen, but the compilation is very helpful if you have comments happening in between. Cheers.

I'll get right on adding a git client to the forums.

(04-07-2017, 10:13 AM)Lyberta Wrote:
(04-07-2017, 07:49 AM)-z- Wrote: I'll get right on adding a git client to the forums.

Looks like a lot of work, do you think we need it?

No, because that's not a CHANGELOG. That's a git commit log.

Quote:Version 0.2 released. Now with MachineGun. Vortex may take a few days because it uses a lot of functionality outside the weapons folder.
This is more like a CHANGELOG. You have a tagged release with features/bugs/changes

I'm advising you to post the CHANGELOG in the OP to give an executive summary of the progression of your mod.  If you don't want want to add a CHANGELOG to the OP, that's fine, but you shouldn't expect others to have your code checked out in order to see what's changed, especially if it's a raw commit log.

I'm partial to the idea of giving them really generic/mechanical names, to fit the style of the mode (e.g. "Sniper" for the vortex). Not sure what to call the other 2 though.

Given the machinegun isn't a uzi at all, it would be best not to regress back to that unfitting name (not to mention the legal side of it).
[Image: 230.png]

(08-06-2017, 03:18 AM)Lyberta Wrote: Here's a few ideas:
okshotgun = Shredder
okmachinegun = SMG / SubMachineGun
okvortex = Reaper.

okshotgun = Shredder
okmachinegun = Chopper
okvortex = Slicer
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Even if they're big, big, big?
Then call one of them "the Driller" ahaha.

(08-26-2017, 08:26 PM)Lyberta Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 06:34 PM)end user Wrote: okshotgun = Shredder
okmachinegun = Chopper
okvortex = Slicer

Heh. Well, too bad bullets can't chop or slice.

A machine gun is called a Chopper and a sniper/laser like gun would be a Slicer. It slices right through people.

Youcoudl also call them

Scheshwan Beef
Chop Suey
Chow Main

(05-31-2018, 02:19 AM)Lyberta Wrote: This branch was merged but ironically the weapons got MUTATORBLOCKED flag which makes them unusable outside of Overkill. I will create a separate branch that will fix this.

They are not unusable outside of Overkill, they are just blocked from core vanilla gameplay because:
  1. Their artstyle is completely different
  2. They are pretty much duplicates of vanilla weapons with secondary changed to blaster
  3. They are way overpowered compared to vanilla weapons

Imo it's much better to have features like this as Opt-in instead of Opt-out. It will also mean that maps are playable both in vanilla and "modded" gameplay.

Before you make an additional branch that simply bypasses the blocked mutators check, please address the other concerns raised by Freddy. I reckon that's the major reason for them being blocked, not for any doomsday-like DRM reason. I'm sure you can appreciate our desire to keep the code clean and sane: it must not only work, it must be written in a maintainable way. We've had several issues with Overkill on this front.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

That is completely missing the point. Configuration and customization are promoted, we simply don't enable these features by default, instead allowing admins to enable them if they want.
In the spirit of open source, if you want the option to enable those weapons in maps, you're more than welcome to implement it. The points Antibody and Freddy raised are only a concern if you intend to make these available by default.

(05-31-2018, 10:43 PM)Lyberta Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 04:56 PM)Antibody Wrote: Before you make an additional branch that simply bypasses the blocked mutators check, please address the other concerns raised by Freddy. I reckon that's the major reason for them being blocked, not for any doomsday-like DRM reason. I'm sure you can appreciate our desire to keep the code clean and sane: it must not only work, it must be written in a maintainable way. We've had several issues with Overkill on this front.

I've been using these weapons in vanilla for more than a year now. I've never had issues with them. Shotgun and MachineGun code was changed to reduce duplication. Only OKNex is kinda fat because it has most of the vortex code.

As long as we don't have maps that have those weapons in official rotation, server admins must explicitly work to make those weapons available. If we go on a "what if" trip we might as well remove all balance cvars from the game because server admins that make OP weapons by changing vanilla weapons' stats.

I was not talking about "bug-free" or clean code here, I was talking about gameplay. But easy configuration is also part of good maintainability. As I said, make it Opt-In instead of Opt-Out.

As developers we should not only think about what we (individually) created or what we want to have. Unofficial maps are important for Xonotic, so we should always keep them in mind.

They were never available prior to being split, so you introduced them into the game. It is your responsibility to make them available to mappers, in a mutator since as stated we don't want them in regular gameplay in their current state, community maps or otherwise.

(03-08-2017, 12:21 PM)Lyberta Wrote: So, I really like Overkill and wanted to use its weapons in other modes, so I decided to make this:

Standalone Overkill weapons for Xonotic
This mod adds separate weapons that act like overkill ones but have separate stats so you can use overkill weapons outside of overkill mutator.

Changelog
  • Added Overkill Shotgun, Overkill MachineGun and Overkill Nex weapons. They are completely separate and have their own stats that match default Overkill stats.
  • Renamed Heavy MachineGun to Overkill Heavy MachineGun and Rocket Propelled Chainsaw to Overkill Rocket Propelled Chainsaw.
  • Added secondary fire to Heavy MachineGun and Rocket Propelled Chainsaw.
  • Added secondary fire animation to all Overkill weapons.

How to use
Overkill weapons are only used in Overkill mutator by default. Their names are `okshotgun`, `okmachinegun` and `oknex`. You can use them anywhere where you can specify the name of the weapon. For example:

Code:
g_balance_okshotgun_weaponstart 1

This will make players spawn with Overkill Shotgun.

Code:
g_weaponarena "okmachinegun oknex"

This will create a weapon arena where everyone has Overkill MachineGun and Overkill Nex.

I dont understand this can someone explain how can I do it since its not well explained I think

Try this: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/-/wikis/CVars

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making New Weapons Molnija 22 15,515 02-18-2021, 04:39 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  Random start weapons Lyberta 0 2,679 09-23-2017, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Lyberta
  Official Overkill balance martin-t 38 25,928 10-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Last Post: martin-t
  [SOLVED] Orienting weapons to bones (CSQC) toneddu2000 3 6,698 03-30-2015, 04:26 PM
Last Post: toneddu2000
  Where can I find the self animated weapons from Nexuiz? MirceaKitsune 14 16,714 11-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
Brick Weapons defined in text files / de-harding weapons [feature debate] MirceaKitsune 41 44,297 10-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Last Post: hutty
  How to make new weapons? Kris 2 4,733 09-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Information Alternatives to removing core weapons MirceaKitsune 6 7,887 09-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Last Post: hutty
  Replacing spawn weapons Samual 140 151,792 07-07-2012, 04:57 AM
Last Post: asyyy
  The Overkill thread tZork 30 37,386 06-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Last Post: tZork