Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] How to create a simple server at home?

Question 
i have read server readme.txt,but i dont know what these mean.
"You will need to copy the right script for your system into your
Xonotic main directory, where the normal binaries are"
B2W,how to adjust the server.cfg, what should i write into it?And how to start the server in gaming?

There is a template server.cfg in the server directory, modify that one.

As for the section you mention, it means that you should copy the script to launch the server from the server directory to its parent directory. For example, if you run linux, you would copy Xonotic/server/server_linux.sh to Xonotic/server_linux.sh and use that script to launch the server.

I have the same question and you partially answered it and thanks for that.
But how do i launch?
Just selecting create game or something?

"Create game" is another type of server. It's simpler to manage but it's hosted by the client application, so it suffers from performance issues as a consequence.

To launch the dedicated server, just run the script as I said. The one that you moved from Xonotic/server/ to Xonotic/.

I have done that but how do i open it?

Click it.

If that doesn't work, please provide more info.

I get the notification that i dont have the right program to launch it

Okay, more info please. What operating system do you use. What file did you copy. What file are you trying to open.

I cant really see that right now but i will tell if i can ok

I have a mac

Server.cfg in the data file

(02-15-2015, 06:50 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Okay, more info please. What operating system do you use. What file did you copy. What file are you trying to open.

how to change the game mode and map on windows? i succeed in creating a server,but it isn't dedicated.i try port forwarding, but it doesn't work.

(02-15-2015, 06:50 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Okay, more info please. What operating system do you use. What file did you copy. What file are you trying to open.

My os is windows.My server can be connected by lan computers,but my friends' cant connect mine.What should i do?BTW,when i run server_windows.bat,i cant play xonotic at the same time.Why?

i have changed the server.cfg,but the game mode cant be changed,why?

(02-16-2015, 03:41 AM)bbqsanwich Wrote: how to change the game mode and map on windows? i succeed in creating a server,but it isn't dedicated.i try port forwarding, but it doesn't work.
You start a dedicated server by executing the "dedicated" executable/batch file. You will have to define the starting game mode and other available game modes in the server.cfg that is being used by the dedicated server. You can enable a game mode vote screen at the end of each match by adding the following to your server.cfg:

Code:
sv_vote_gametype 1
sv_vote_gametype_options "dm tdm ctf" //add any game types here, separated by <space>

(02-16-2015, 03:41 AM)bbqsanwich Wrote: My os is windows.My server can be connected by lan computers,but my friends' cant connect mine.What should i do?BTW,when i run server_windows.bat,i cant play xonotic at the same time.Why?
Probably your server is running behind a router that manages your LAN and provides internet access to your network. These routers usually block the LAN servers from being accessible from outside for (valid) security reasons. To make your Xonotic server in your LAN accessible from outside, you will have to set up a port forwarding in your router for the relevant port and IP (for example if the IP of your Xonotic server is 192.168.1.1, and you configured it to listen on port 26000, you will have to forward port 26000 to the IP 192.168.1.1 on your router).

(02-16-2015, 03:41 AM)bbqsanwich Wrote: i have changed the server.cfg,but the game mode cant be changed,why?
I don't know what changes you applied to your server.cfg and if it is the one that is actually being read by the server. Please be more specific.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

@Myr0x: Oh, you have a mac. Then you should should be using server_mac.sh. Was that what you tried?

@bbqsanwich: server and client can't run at the same time because of file conflicts. Edit the server_windows.bat file, replace the last line
Code:
.\%executable% -dedicated +serverconfig server.cfg %*
with
Code:
.\%executable% -dedicated -sessionid dedicated +serverconfig server.cfg %*
to use a unique sessionid with your server.

@Halogene: maybe make it clear that your snippet will display voteable gametypes. I don't think that's what bbqsanwich asked?

If you want to change the gametype while the server is running, use the "gametype" command in the server console. For example, gametype ctf

I used the mac file and i fixed it but i couldn't open the game but i see you already wrote the codes for the other guy so i think i will get it to work

Thanks alot Big Grin

Yup, same thing for macs! Change
Code:
exec ./${executable} +serverconfig server.cfg "${@}"
to
Code:
exec ./${executable} -sessionid dedicated +serverconfig server.cfg "${@}"

Note that in both cases (this post and my previous one), any session name can be used. I'm using "dedicated" so that the keys and files are clearly identifiiable with the dedicated server's sessionid.

(02-16-2015, 05:14 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Yup, same thing for macs! Change
Code:
exec ./${executable} +serverconfig server.cfg "${@}"
to
Code:
exec ./${executable} -sessionid dedicated +serverconfig server.cfg "${@}"

Note that in both cases (this post and my previous one), any session name can be used. I'm using "dedicated" so that the keys and files are clearly identifiiable with the dedicated server's sessionid.
Thank you so much.All of my problems are nearly solved.
I need to know how to change the gametype,maps and add bots in my server.
I change //bot_number 0 to //bot_number 8 in server.cfg, but no bots are added. What to do next?
And,what is "server console"?While i am running server_windows.bat,it only shows a window without a word,i cant input any command.

The gametype and bot questions can be answered by reading server.cfg a bit more thoroughly. Look at the first few lines of text. Search for "gametype".

If you see no server console, you either have to start server_windows.bat from the command line, or use a remote console (called rcon).

To use rcon, set up a value for rcon_password, connect to your server, set the same value for rcon_password in the client, and use the client console to send server commands using the "rcon" command as a prefix. For example, you would be typing "rcon gametype ctf" (no quotes) to switch to ctf.

(02-16-2015, 11:51 PM)bbqsanwich Wrote: I change //bot_number 0 to //bot_number 8 in server.cfg, but no bots are added. What to do next?

It's probably mentioned in the server.cfg, but two forward slashes are used at the start of a line to indicate a comment. So the line is still commented out and not yet read. To fix that, remove both forward slashes from the line.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

(02-17-2015, 05:38 AM)PinkRobot Wrote:
(02-16-2015, 11:51 PM)bbqsanwich Wrote: I change //bot_number 0 to //bot_number 8 in server.cfg, but no bots are added. What to do next?

It's probably mentioned in the server.cfg, but two forward slashes are used at the start of a line to indicate a comment. So the line is still commented out and not yet read. To fix that, remove both forward slashes from the line.

I had made my message intentionally vague to encourage learning this stuff from the server.cfg file itself Wink

(02-17-2015, 01:05 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(02-17-2015, 05:38 AM)PinkRobot Wrote:

I had made my message intentionally vague to encourage learning this stuff from the server.cfg file itself Wink
I CANT express how thank thanful i am to you.
Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I can't see my listen server on server list fnmain 1 661 10-07-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Grimnack
  Server not visible on the server browser for others or me DankoLord 1 1,808 02-21-2023, 08:02 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  BaI server | South American Xonotic server (located in Chile) z411 0 2,742 01-02-2022, 11:36 PM
Last Post: z411
  Full server tutorial start-2-finish with maps & config from live server xonotic.us.to ballerburg9005 0 7,964 09-03-2021, 10:21 AM
Question [NEED HELP] Server uses 40% CPU whereas Nexuiz server runs with max 10% e-pig 6 4,960 08-19-2020, 10:17 PM
  [SOLVED] I can't create my server. Kotangens 10 5,777 07-22-2020, 04:42 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [NEED HELP] Server dont appear in server browser abslimit 0 2,574 03-15-2020, 04:13 AM
Last Post: abslimit
  How to change server cfg on modified server veecho 4 4,302 04-24-2019, 08:15 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [NEED HELP] Xonotic Server crashes TF2 server Professor 2 2,940 02-20-2018, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Professor
  How to disallow simple items? FinnTheHuman 2 2,395 10-13-2016, 05:27 AM
Last Post: FinnTheHuman