Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mars One

What are people's thoughts on this project?

The more I read about it, the more absurd it seems. There is little to no technical information to how they will realistically complete the stages they have set out based on the timeline (which also seems absurd to be honest).

Then there's the fact that every stage has the potential for extreme failure since nothing has ever been done like this before and it seems complex beyond belief.

Just seems unfeasable to me, even if they managed to get there I would be very surprised if people lived anywhere near a reasonable amount of time, or even survived landing.

Then I saw the part about reality TV and that was it
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Are you planning to participate?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Only if they throw in a pack of mars bars and host weekly $100000 duel tournaments for Xonotic. That might twist my arm.

In reality I think the whole premise is ridiculous Halogene, it's like people have started kickstarters for space projects Big Grin

"The first 5 people to sign up will receive a platinum level seat with a 'one way ticket' along with a commerative plaque"

Did you apply Halogene?

Just like to add, as soon as I ever see not for profit organisations involved, I check the background information out.

Basically I just wanted to know does anyone actually believe any of this and can they explain why! Smile

Website looks a bit silly, really, more like a wiki for a video game.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Colonisation by human wave tactics. Interesting. I hope they will never get off the Earth for their own good.
Do they know that their muscles and bones will atrophy? What about radiation? By the time they arrive, they will be sterile cripples.
Even Earth simulations fail. Any minor detail can get them killed.
Would definitely watch the show. Kardashians in space.

They can use the set from the first moon landing and color it red. Smile

I think it would probably be detrimental to the reputation of the human race if we'd actually send the dudes to mars that would apply for this. What are the marsians supposed to think of us?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I would like to participate on the Mars One expedition... Unfortunately my ping is likely to increase a lot during online games Big Grin

On a serious note:

This expedition is either a joke or a suicide mission.
Of course, the selected astronauts will be rock-solid from a psychological point of view and they'll probably get some heavy training...
But even if they manage to land on Mars, they'll just get bored after a few months, and will probably suffer from the solar wind (Mars doesn't have any magnetic field or any ozone layer to protect them) and encounter unforeseen problems.

However, I really think we should go to Mars, NASA space probes do a good job but an international manned mission (with a journey back to Earth!) is something that a lot of people would dream of, it's an adventure that would involve a lot of people and would create lots of jobs.

It would also (re)open the gates for serious space exploration... Do you realize that nobody has been walking on the Moon since 1972?

It seems to me that there's nothing worth on Mars until we develop terraforming technology. But I'd sign up to a journey to mysterious seas of Europa <3.

WRT life in solar system I recommend https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schismatrix

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_Report (not bad)
[Image: OYvkngZ.png] I'm woky on IRC.

Yeah, Europa Report is a good SF movie, Europa internal oceans probably exist.

But I'd rather sign up for a journey to mysterious methane seas of Titan Big Grin

While we are at SF films, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_(film)
I like these old-school-ish films. Improbable, but at least no carnivorous bugs.

Quote:This expedition is either a joke or a suicide mission.

The first 8 years are supposed to be a training phase, on planet earth. So yea basically those 24 people in a big-brother house for 8 years getting in shape and doing stupid challenges that are somehow related to their space trip. I am quite sure that the mission itself will never happen.

You recon its just a cover-up for a military program to create super-soldiers?

I think in time, colonizing mars or visiting mars definitely will be reality. But in my opinion, doing it in next 10yrs is too fast step forward for our primitive space-traveling technology yet. For me is very hard to believe to the success of Mars One, 100yrs ago we rode with horses anyway. Trying to achieve too gigantic step too fast will lead to catastrophe surely.

Though, I believe if humankind stays alive in this planet long enough, space-colonizing definitely will be reality. Theoretically, there is lots of wild possibilities!

So ye kojn i'am i share the skepticism with you regarding this project. They should start considering this like in 50-100yrs or when (if) we have some other experience of space-travel projects. A trip to moon is childs play compared to what that project is about. This case is like letting a newbie to play vs kojn on his second match, too gigantic step forward, certain rape coming up Big Grin lots of prac needed before its reality!

But still its quite interesting topic, i've always been fascinated about space in general, space travel and the possibilities of space exploration in the future! I wish I would be around to see it.

"Advancement of technological intelligence accelerates because it incorporates the current and previous discoveries, which makes the next stage go faster." I like how Ray Kurzweil puts the advancement of technology into perspective.

Why does he has a bigass speaker and a mixers console in the background?

I don't see the big difference between sending a robot and some humans with supplies, except the latter simply requires bigger/more ships.

(02-20-2015, 07:43 PM)machine! Wrote: I don't see the big difference between sending a robot and some humans with supplies, except the latter simply requires bigger/more ships.

Space probes are more convenient because you don't need big ships with air, water, food & other life support systems. That's why they're also a lot cheaper than a manned spacecraft.

However, Mars rovers are slow, remote control isn't convenient because of the distance between Earth and Mars... And in case of a problem, sometimes there's nothing you can do: the Spirit rover batteries are empty, because its solar panels are covered with dust, and nobody can sweep it off :p

Mars is a dangerous environment for humans, but a human can walk, think and manipulate instuments a lot faster than any space probe.
A human can actually hear, see and feel what's around him ; space probes are limited by their camera and other measuring instruments... and by the ridiculous bandwidth of its radio transmitter Big Grin

Despite of all the dangers, I think we would progress faster by sending humans onto other planets rather than space probes.

Mars One project doesn't look serious... An international, public & serious mission (i.e no reality-TV show) with a way back to Earth is more realistic.

(02-18-2015, 03:46 PM)SpiKe! Wrote: I would like to participate on the Mars One expedition... Unfortunately my ping is likely to increase a lot during online games Big Grin

On a serious note:

This expedition is either a joke or a suicide mission.
Of course, the selected astronauts will be rock-solid from a psychological point of view and they'll probably get some heavy training...
But even if they manage to land on Mars, they'll just get bored after a few months, and will probably suffer from the solar wind (Mars doesn't have any magnetic field or any ozone layer to protect them) and encounter unforeseen problems.

However, I really think we should go to Mars, NASA space probes do a good job but an international manned mission (with a journey back to Earth!) is something that a lot of people would dream of, it's an adventure that would involve a lot of people and would create lots of jobs.

It would also (re)open the gates for serious space exploration... Do you realize that nobody has been walking on the Moon since 1972?

I second that. At this point, it's a waste of time and resources.
4m038105 - Be the change.

At this point in time I dont think a human would even survive a few days let alone months, like already has been said the amount of things that could and would probably go wrong would mean death very quickly.

Survive, like , what and where?

I've been following this project since the beginning and its seems far-fetched. I wish they succed but the journey costs billions and it's far from granted that the technologies they need will be ready. I mean, NASA might not be able to send astronauts to Mars for an exploration mission, establishing a colony is more complex even if they don't need a spaceship to come back.
Ciao Smile
Massimo

kojn are you referring to the fact that they will live almost alone in an isolated environment, or that the technology itself is too under-developed and will fail?

I think the hardest part will be the former. Sure, people survive being isolated in prisons for 30 years. But they have the hope to come out AND are supervised and protected from doing dangerous things (like hurting others and taking suicide etc.). These people will be sent out and know they will never return.

As in the technology and the fact we know virtually know nothing in regards to Mars and 'weather', dont know how spacesuits would perform, life support, what issues the mars dust will cause or how quick etc etc.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rendering with one graphics card, outputting video with another. Can it be done? Lee_Stricklin 0 3,217 08-17-2018, 12:29 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  Ubuntu 12.10 got one thing right. Minkovsky 5 6,347 10-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Last Post: s1lence
  HTC Evo 3D vs. Samsung Galaxy S 2 - which one? Minkovsky 8 8,471 08-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Last Post: edh
  That one is for you, Chooksta unfa 2 3,667 07-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m