Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Little Mexico v1r1

first off , some thanx :
devs , map testers
juliana stein for early texture help
Oblivion for cacti models

This project started pre-Xonotic . So there was no way i was going to trash this just because it wasnt following the futuristic theme . There may be xonotic version sometime later featuring that theme .
also this was the first time i did any extensive texture manipulation so dont be too hard on me Smile . there are some included normals and bumps and gloss . Texture sizes are according to the xonotic standards , so the download is large .... for now .

built with xonotic , time 4 months i think .

most textures come from Burning well and modified by me . other textures already in data.pk3

Game type: DM , CA

down it here
[Image: 3rkbckqousippu1kp0c9_thumb.png]
[Image: 8sk5ksddrdcvus7emy_thumb.png]
[Image: 4wh3b3gpydzo4el4q0w_thumb.png]
[Image: sceye3erfifwpturxfx_thumb.png]
I have no signature . That is all .

wow. this is awesome. i never saw a map like this, it's.... real Smile it don't fit any possible style of xonotic at all, but who cares if the map is that awesome?

however i cant stop nitpicking, sorry Big Grin
the edges are extremely visible, but i dont know whether you can fo something about it...
[Image: xonotic0000268j4v.jpg]

this cactus is... checked? (i mean it has all the little squares)
[Image: xonotic00002938o5.jpg]

the wall on the left is extremely bright, but with the clouds it can't be that bright
[Image: xonotic000030rvkx.jpg]

the palm trees are great, but the "leafs" are a bit low-quality...
some surfaces (windows, doors and the cactus Smile ) are... permeable for the projectiles (they exlode behind them and the decal is not drawn)
the lower part of the skybox is missing (its grey here), and it has a bit low quality
and it would be great if you could make the textures use offset/relief mapping, this would greatly improve the "stone-feeling" of the stones Smile
the music is not fitting Smile

but, again, it's a great map, really Smile

Has some kind of Counterstrike feeling from what I see on the screens, gonna test it out for sure.

(06-05-2010, 02:50 AM)Grasshopper Wrote: Texture sizes are according to the xonotic standards , so the download is large .... for now .

Gack, 70 frigging Mb :S and still I can't fully appreciate the textures, or else I get seconds per frame...

Well, it's a nice map overall, haven't tried with bots but seems very good; little ramps everywhere are cool for doublejumps. I also liked the hidden jumper and teleporter Tongue

One thing I have to say: if you look outside you can see the grey bottom of the skybox, you should fix it somehow...

Woah! The screenies of this map remind me of Villa, a map from a little game called Perfect Dark.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Digital cactus ^^

Will test when it finishes downloading Smile

Edit: It finished downloading Big Grin

It's very nice as a map, and definitely has a counterstrikey feel to it. slowmo 0.6 and you'll see what I mean. The only major thing I noticed was that the cacti were not solid, an didn't cause any damage. Perhaps if the cacti could damage you by, say, 50hp or so. Or is that not Xonotic style?
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

thanks for the reviews so far .

Ok the skybox if i remember doesnt have a bottom . thats something im not too worried about but i can fix it maybe . also im so conscious about framerates , i want evryone to enjoy even if the bottom is missing .

the brightness i thought might not be too bad , but also i tested and built it in xonotic . So im trying to find a good setting for gamma and brightness in player setup still . compared to nexuiz it seems dark so this may be needing some tweaking on my part for the skybox surfacelight .

Oblivion made the cacti for me so the boxy thing you talk about is all him . i think they are fine . not really detailed and low poly , but gives that feeling of realism . after all we really arent looking at a cactus the whole game Tongue . but if he wants to remake some really nice one i will include them in v1r2 .

i do enjoy feedback , and comments/ suggestion are very welcome . this will help bring us all a really good map . please keep them comming .
i just felt this was a good public release at the moment .

oh and the 71 MB . yeah i know it huge . but as i understand , when you download from xonotic servers , Divo has implemented a code that transforms the tga files ( which are 1024x2 or 2048x2 ) into jpeg that still hold HQ resolution . so for now until we download from the xonotic servers this is the best way .

palm tress are from ....i cant remember where . old quake GPL i know for sure . so thats a few years that those trees have been around . maybe someone can remake them ... *cough oblivion cough *

music i had no hand in . thats a compile automatic setting

the decals and explosions behind doors and such ..... well i used tga alpha textures for textures that arent square ( like one with hinges or stone /mortar outlines ) with a 0.1 grid brush size . i guess i could have cut some brushes to make them flush wit other brushes , but im so concerned about frames . maybe that was because of a bad 2.5.2 " N " word . to me it had really bad frames compared to 2.3 or 2.4

thanx again guys .

Hi Grassy! I really like this map and I think you did a great job of keeping the fps up despite the textures.

Some things I noticed, although I don't remember what version they were on, they may be fixed now:

There were a couple places where you could shoot to the outside of the map and have your projectile come back "inside" the play area. Don't know if this was intentional or not, but it was a lot worse in one area than another. I'll get screens in a few minutes for this.

Also, I don't know if this was intentional or not (if it was, then just ignore me), but the exit for the teleporter seems a little high off the ground. Even if I come through the tele slowly, I still wind up hitting the trellis with my face.
This is my laser, this is my gun,
This is for plinking, this is for FUN!

BrFJ: wtf with the jumpad
BrFJ: rofl
vael: oh, you'll wtf with the... a few more times don't worry

[Image: badge.png]

there are more trick jumps in this map than you can shake a stick at. awesome map, it could only get better.

What do you mean it's not the futuristic look that xonotic is shooting for? I'd say this is a pretty good representation of mexico in the future. Smile

Hi vael . i dont think i had fixed that spot where you shoot that through that hole from the outside . I did fix the tele port though

Soze : kinda yeah . i see what you mean

Another great map, I'll be sure to test it out. It's definitely not futuristic, but who cares?
Edit: Very nice, it has character and theme. However...
Add a minimap.
The grass is 2d, but I don't know what you can do about that.
Giant gray rectangle
[Image: wgigahqmfze7hhfgko6_thumb.jpg]

Cut off texture (which is one a 2d plane)
[Image: wr0o68w41czvq5ok4ful_thumb.jpg]

No enemies here...
[Image: x4lt50fmbtampb7sslaq_thumb.jpg]

Or are there?
[Image: 0j90n4iv84zpom7qiju9_thumb.jpg]

Strange lighting
[Image: ra9d91fd9cmkzcx7fpvv_thumb.jpg]
[Image: su668bczqloytjdqhwis_thumb.jpg]
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

wow the screenshots looks awesome! make more of those maps!!
i love realistic looking maps
but there are little things you should fix

although it most certainly doesnt fit the xonotic theme, i really like this map style.
Most of the maps are quite dark, aggressive, evil, rusty, steampunk, space, whatever, but a mediterraaeannenea (damn, dunno how to spell this) map is a good diversion from the rest.

edit: muahahaha, 50post3stars. now my ego + my penis got multiplied by over 9000.

It ahs a touch of conterstrike, but I like it Big Grin
Lets look how fast gameplay can be there ...hehe^^
The skybox is very cool, selfmade? Cool

Very cool, its nice to see something so different.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

debugger . no the skybox is not mine .

thanx evryone for the comments and suggestions.

revision 2 is comming very soon .

Grasshopper - if you want to get rid of the grey rectangle below the map you should setup a proper skybox entity/box. That will do the trick.

If you want a look at how its done just open up hydronexb7 it has one done in such a way.

Laser seems like heresy on this map.

Sepelio .

I tried the _skybox entity and box . It makes the sky flicker on and off , there is no shadowing , and the bottom grey box is still there . I even tried to set the _skybox key and value ( key ) skies ( value ) ely_nevada . I did look at hydronexb7 to see how it was done , but there is no evidence pointing to the skybox texture . i see lf_nebula as the sky in the texture browser along with the other textures used in the map . But i have no clue where it is in hydronexb7
Anyone know the proper way to make it work correctly ?

i loove it just the way it is
who cares if it has little quirks , ads character i thinks Smile

awesome work grassey , sir , now if i can find some mexico sounds......

help!

tacos 4 everyone!
coronas too!

:^

I'll go and have a look and see if I can figure it out... once it downloads Tongue

lol thanx sepelio... love the signature. And i'll think about it. I'm not able to play the game as much anymore but mapping might be something I can get into. Grasshopper I'm sure is more than willing to help also. I tired it once, half-heartedly.

These skybox issues are meaningless to me as I always play with r_sky 0. It gets in the way of my epic air shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRaTekm9Ak8

(06-07-2010, 10:15 PM)soze Wrote: lol thanx sepelio... love the signature. And i'll think about it. I'm not able to play the game as much anymore but mapping might be something I can get into. Grasshopper I'm sure is more than willing to help also. I tired it once, half-heartedly.

These skybox issues are meaningless to me as I always play with r_sky 0. It gets in the way of my epic air shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRaTekm9Ak8

Wait? Only xx? Thats not a beer, thats water.

If anything wants to derail the thread its this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bys9hA5qUU

Anyway. Yeah, hopefully I helped grassy fix the skybox thing. He has the pms Smile

(06-07-2010, 11:03 PM)Sepelio Wrote: He has the pms Smile

lol? Big Grin

[Image: tumblr_l2rgnt6eHB1qz5sn2o1_400.jpg]

The PM's, you mean Tongue
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick [Mario] Super Xonotic Bros. 1 - v1r1 -z- 7 9,633 04-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Last Post: -z-
  little mexico V2 Grasshopper 19 20,594 06-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Last Post: end user
  Red Planet v1r1 MirceaKitsune 60 58,638 02-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Last Post: Cuinnton