Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I would like to work with Xonotic

Thumbs Up 
Hello !
As i said in my presentation post, i am interested into game development, not a perticular field, but pretty much everything, programming, map editing and so on ...

The thing is that i am quite new into it and this is why i am kinda lost.
For example, if i want to create a new weapon for fun, i would unzip the folder containing the models for the weapons, and i would dump in my new weapon, but then if i re-zip the folder the game wont recognize it.

Another example, if i want to take out one weapon, i unzip the folder delete the models of the corresponding item, and when i re-zip the game wont recognize the re-zipped folder.

Am i doing it horribly wrong ?
And if so i am very sorry for these stupid questions and concerns, but the one who ask a stupid question is a fool for 20 mins, wherehas never asking question by fear of looking stupid, is a fool for eternity right ?
I will edit this post to add more informations later on, when i will have time to..

Hello, and welcome to the community!

Adding new weapons is a rather large task. You can't add a new model to the pk3 (zip) file and expect the game to suddenly recognize it. What about the code that initializes the model and all of its mechanics (fire rate, ammo type, etc etc)? It doesn't exist!

I would recommend coming onto our development chat channel on IRC: it is the #xonotic channel on Freenode's IRC network. Many developers hang out there.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

(03-16-2016, 10:17 AM)Antibody Wrote: Hello, and welcome to the community!

Adding new weapons is a rather large task. You can't add a new model to the pk3 (zip) file and expect the game to suddenly recognize it. What about the code that initializes the model and all of its mechanics (fire rate, ammo type, etc etc)? It doesn't exist!

I would recommend coming onto our development chat channel on IRC: it is the #xonotic channel on Freenode's IRC network. Many developers hang out there.

What if i just pick an already existing weapon and that i just change how it looks like ?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Heart Paid work to help demo an integration into Xonotic stuart 9 6,285 02-04-2020, 09:23 AM
Last Post: stuart
  Prevent respawn of players like in CA Lyberta 1 2,495 03-04-2017, 07:16 AM
Last Post: Mario
  I would like to contribute CjStaal 2 3,427 08-23-2015, 01:51 AM
Last Post: Melanosuchus
  Xonotic gfx work dca 8 7,512 01-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Last Post: poVoq
  Star Wars-like assault map project forseti 1 3,112 02-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Last Post: edh
  [SOLVED] How does the decompression of files within pk3s work? joshbeck 3 5,202 09-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Last Post: joshbeck
  I'd like to help with Xonotic Frogging101 4 5,026 09-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  If you would like to contribute to Xonotic Dokujisan 0 11,250 03-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Dokujisan