Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xonotic vs Quake 3 (ioQuake3) development comparison

Post the comparison and the differences of the development of these games here. You can include the game and engine differences of both.

I've heard that ioQuake3 has things that doesn't support 64-bit for compilation or something like this. Also, I was thinking of developing a mod within Quake 3, but it can be a bit difficult to do. I share a link about this here: https://gregs-blog.com/2008/01/24/how-to...arena-mod/ 
I enjoyed and played a mod which was started to be developed in 2001, but the source code of this mod was lost and never released...

I see some differences between game and engine sides of these developments. There is a link that explains the source code of Quake 3, about its ways of compiling and architecture: https://fabiensanglard.net/quake3/

As for programming languages, I think that Quake 3 seems written in ANSI C, Xonotic has 2 parts: C for the engine and QuakeC for the game.

I don't know what the details of the differences are missing or what I don't perceive, I see that Quake 3 looks old and Xonotic seems to use an improved engine called Darkplaces that seems to come from Quake 1 which I think is older than Quake 3.
Believing is power

I didn’t play quake 3(i played the remake is Open arena), but I saw videos of all sorts of tournaments. The first difference is that the machine gun is involved as a weak weapon. And the shotgun is very powerful than the xonotic shotgun, unless of course combined with a flop (unless you use a melee, which is 400x weaker than quake 3 melee). Unlike quake 3 in xonotic, all weapons have secondary fire, and the hagar fires mini missiles, not plasma. The electric combo is very powerful like bfg9k. Can be combined with different weapons, which you can only do with the id tech 5 or more engine. The bazooka has guided missiles, which is not present in quake 3. It is easier to accelerate in xonotic than in quake 3, where the engine is difficult. there is no blaster, that is, there will be no blaster jump. Maps in quake 3 has secrets.

I think i said everything.
exec XonoticMod.cfg - my  Cool  mod;
MyStats:
[Image: 151702.png]

(09-02-2020, 09:33 AM)Kotangens Wrote: I didn’t play quake 3(i played the remake is Open arena), but I saw videos of all sorts of tournaments. The first difference is that the machine gun is involved as a weak weapon. And the shotgun is very powerful than the xonotic shotgun, unless of course combined with a flop (unless you use a melee, which is 400x weaker than quake 3 melee). Unlike quake 3 in xonotic, all weapons have secondary fire, and the hagar fires mini missiles, not plasma. The electric combo is very powerful like bfg9k. Can be combined with different weapons, which you can only do with the id tech 5 or more engine. The bazooka has guided missiles, which is not present in quake 3. It is easier to accelerate in xonotic than in quake 3, where the engine is difficult. there is no blaster, that is, there will be no blaster jump. Maps in quake 3 has secrets.

I think i said everything.

Thank you, but it's a weapons power comparison, I'm not searching this.

This is a development/programming thread, we aren't talking about entertainment or things of the weapons/characters/maps from these games in a gameplay perspective. This is about comparing the source code of software and development of the systems functioning.
Please, don't post comments about things that are hardly related in this thread, thanks.
Believing is power

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What was easy for you in development? (Darkplaces and QuakeC programming) LegendGuard 2 356 08-08-2020, 05:25 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  Quake live mouse acceleration implementation successfully coded! I have questions Draena 1 553 03-11-2020, 04:08 AM
Last Post: Lyberta
  development and life cycle of a game community BuddyFriendGuy 9 6,426 04-04-2015, 01:58 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
Exclamation Development Infrastructure Update divVerent 16 13,322 12-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  The fate of Xonotic development MirceaKitsune 35 22,908 09-26-2014, 02:24 AM
Last Post: poVoq
  Xonotic Game Engine, Mapping, Development - General Developer Questions p14r 6 7,015 08-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Last Post: p14r
  Quake's monsters in Xonotic Mario 41 30,134 05-28-2014, 12:16 AM
Last Post: unfa
  q3map2 issues/development vulture 18 18,786 03-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Garux
  Limiting factors in Xonotic development & solutions MirceaKitsune 15 9,380 09-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Last Post: poVoq
  Samual's Personal Development Roadmap Samual 39 33,242 08-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Mirio