Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help, how I create a new texture for mapping?

I have created new textures seamless for mapping use, but I don't know how to make them working properly. Any help? I know that they should be scripted by .shader files and DP uses compatible quake shaders (Actually I'm not sure about this), but I don't know how create it and what write inside... Should I have knowledge about programming to make them (quakec, opengl, cg, etc)? Exists a guide made exactly for xonotic for newbie or dummies? Thanks
"forgive your enemies but never forget their nicknames"

I don't know about this, but I put new textures in the same place as other textures, that is, in the data / data / textures / yourtextores folder.  Also if you want to create a category : abc_textures.  You don't need to write anything in the code.  I think I helped you.
My maps:
CTF: Trident_ctf, Moon terror;
DM: Checkfriend, Last man standing remix (ctf);
Duel: tempullit, X air walker;
Kota-dooM: Kota-dooM, Kota-dooM4 (-2);
Race: Map packs;
Special: Triangle, Mid space 'em.

You can check out my other maps here.

Thanks Kotangens, the problem is that, if I want to distribute these textures or my maps use these textures, but others no, the textures are not usable or visible inside the map by other people, so I would to know how to insert in the map, and how to script their shader file

(09-10-2020, 04:46 AM)derrant Wrote: Thanks Kotangens, the problem is that, if I want to distribute these textures or my maps use these textures, but others no, the textures are not usable or visible inside the map by other people, so I would to know how to insert in the map, and how to script their shader file

Try to do it like the screenshots. Tip: You can create a separate file for the map.

Pack only the contents of the folder!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

My maps:
CTF: Trident_ctf, Moon terror;
DM: Checkfriend, Last man standing remix (ctf);
Duel: tempullit, X air walker;
Kota-dooM: Kota-dooM, Kota-dooM4 (-2);
Race: Map packs;
Special: Triangle, Mid space 'em.

You can check out my other maps here.

You can find a manual on how to write shaders here:
http://q3map2.robotrenegade.com/docs/shader_manual/

In my opinion, you should always try to seperate content into pk3dirs. If you want to create textures specifically for one map, put the shaders and textures into the same pk3dir as your map (setup as described in https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/-/wik...-map-setup). If you want to create a texture pack that others can use for their maps, create a pk3dir with a "scripts" and a "textures" subfolder. One problem is that Darkplaces has no way of handling dependencies for custom content. This means that every server admin who uses a map with those textures has to add the texture pack to their list of serverpackages as otherwise players might end with missing textures. (This problem should be solved once we finish moving engine from Darkplaces to Daemon)

(09-10-2020, 07:50 AM)Kotangens Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 04:46 AM)derrant Wrote: Thanks Kotangens, the problem is that, if I want to distribute these textures or my maps use these textures, but others no, the textures are not usable or visible inside the map by other people, so I would to know how to insert in the map, and how to script their shader file

Try to do it like the screenshots. Tip: You can create a separate file for the map.

Pack only the contents of the folder!

okay, I will do this, thanks for the tips

(09-10-2020, 09:34 AM)Freddy Wrote: You can find a manual on how to write shaders here:
http://q3map2.robotrenegade.com/docs/shader_manual/

In my opinion, you should always try to seperate content into pk3dirs. If you want to create textures specifically for one map, put the shaders and textures into the same pk3dir as your map (setup as described in https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/-/wik...-map-setup). If you want to create a texture pack that others can use for their maps, create a pk3dir with a "scripts" and a "textures" subfolder. One problem is that Darkplaces has no way of handling dependencies for custom content. This means that every server admin who uses a map with those textures has to add the texture pack to their list of serverpackages as otherwise players might end with missing textures. (This problem should be solved once we finish moving engine from Darkplaces to Daemon)
Oh very thanks, I'll read this, you made me all the more sure now.

How can i create a mine texture pack?

Please don't post the same question in multiple threads. Deleting the other posts of yours.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

In order to distribute your content, such as maps, textures or shaders, you simply have to put it in a zip file which you then rename to .pk3 instead of .zip. This zip archive has to have the data/ directory as the root directory and it also needs to be in the data directory of any server to be available to that server (and then this server automatically distributes the pk3 files it has to the clients when required). If you put files into a pk3 file that are also contained in other pk3 files, then the file that is furthest down the alphabet takes precedence, and files in the Xonotic user directory take precedence over files in the engine path (install) directory. You can also just create a folder with the extension .pk3dir (instead of a zip file .pk3) which functions in exactly the same way (but I don't think it will be downloadable by clients). If you don't know where to put your assets inside the data/ directory, then have a look at the contents of the pk3 files that came with the game. It is easy to see that maps go in the folder maps/ or textures in the folder textures/. Of course in turn for these to be loaded inside the game, they have to have been used by mappers or modders (or the Xonotic creators) first.

There is nothing more to it. It is that simple. You can't create e.g. asset packs that are centrally distributed in repositories or anything like that. There basically is only this forum to post stuff to and then the Gitlab repository for Xonotic itself.

Hint: Shaderfiles will not be loaded by Netradiant unless they are mentioned in the shaderlist.txt file. I believe that is not true to the game itself.
Visit our clan website: http://extreme.voltage.nz/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Map development/prototyping Texture Set Julius 6 1,196 08-14-2023, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Baker
  [NEED HELP] Need modelling help. _para 3 1,093 03-17-2023, 02:34 AM
Last Post: anoob
  need modeling help MusicGoat 5 2,971 08-23-2022, 08:34 AM
Last Post: NoClue
  Textures: evillair's eU Texture Set Julius 1 1,715 11-27-2020, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Julius
  [NEED HELP] Texture problems in MD3 exported models (Quake 3) xLuca91x 9 6,589 03-31-2020, 03:13 PM
Last Post: xLuca91x
  Texture release thread _para 10 6,089 03-14-2019, 10:45 AM
Last Post: _para
  How would i create glass textures? Molnija 2 2,512 10-28-2018, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Molnija
  Tech texture set by Cr4zy now officially distributed under GPLv2+ license illwieckz 3 3,078 10-05-2018, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Julius
  Texture and Player Model Creation Help Molnija 5 4,974 09-30-2018, 12:04 PM
  Gravity help Molnija 4 2,631 08-17-2018, 01:45 PM